Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you live in a no helmet state and wear a helmet
Never
14.85%
Always
61.39%
Only on the highway
2.23%
Sometimes
21.53%
Voters: 404. You may not vote on this poll

Do you live in a no helmet state and wear a helmet

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 04:08 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

All righty then... Good job guys!! This has been Helmet thread #31,678.

Can we move on now?

Old 07-09-2009, 04:10 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no helmet state, and always wear one.

Last edited by gman; 07-09-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:12 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Guess not.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Mr Haus
Road Warrior
Default Choice...

Ya know... nobody is going to like what I have to say.

Does anyone remember old school football and hockey players??

Remember when those leagues started making their players wear helmets?

There were some that just went along with it. And there were those that fought it tooth-n-nail. And today... they all have to wear them. And for good reason... it helps them from dying or being crippled!

Which is exactly what should be done for motorcyclists. Because it is just the right thing to do. The piece of plastic in our wallets and purses are not a right but a privilege. And we are riding on public streets... which are governed and maintained and built by local, state and federal agencies. So I think that if it is in the best interests of safety... they have the right to tell us that we have to use helmets or safety belts on their roadways.

Ya ya ya... I know... your freaking choices are being eaten up by the big man and all your freedoms are evaporating before your eyes. Give me a freaking break.

I think that it should be a law in every state. And I think that insurance companies should ask if you were wearing one when you file a claim. And yes... if you answer no... your claims should be denied.

But all of this is strictly my opinion... and those who oppose are free to do so. That's what makes the world go around. And I don't think any less of anyone who does oppose my ideas. If you noticed... I haven't been foul with anyone who previously posted and did not agree with what I am saying right now.

For me... I don't live in a state that makes me wear one... but I choose to wear one for a few different reasons.

#1 - I feel that it does make sense and that it will keep me alive.

#2 - My wife asked me to. And if I die because I didn't wear one... then I am showing her that I don't respect the fact that she asked me to or that she cared enough to even ask. And really... I think that if I die because of this... and she is mad at me for it... even my afterlife would be crappy!!

#3 - My kids also asked me to wear one... and I am showing them by example that it is ok to wear one. You can still be cool by wearing one. And by wearing it... I am showing them that I love them.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:21 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

No helmet law. Most of the time, sometimes, and when it is not 105 degrees.
I don't care either way, just what my gut tells me when I am ready to take off. Probably should all of the time...hmmm

AZ Rider
Road Warrior

What he said and my wife is a doctor. So she's seen accidents while covering the emergency room that a guy could have limped away from. Instead he's relearning to walk due to head injuries.
And there have been crashes where helmeted guys would have been dead but they can no longer think or feed themselves. Now someone has to feed, wipe, bathe, and dress them. No thanks.

motordrum
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I kinda have to now. For one, my wife makes me after the whole truck turning left incident, and two, I don't know how many more blows to the melon I can take! (I was EXTREMELY lucky.)

Attached Thumbnails Do you live in a no helmet state and wear a helmet-img_1121.jpg  

Last edited by motordrum; 07-09-2009 at 04:26 PM.
notfried
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm in TX,too,so it's a choice thing here and i choose to about 50% of the time

Old 07-09-2009, 04:23 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by motordrum
I kinda have to now. For one, my wife makes me, and two, I don't know how many more blows to the melon I can take!
Busted ocular cavity? Doink! That made stars, didn't it?

Old 07-09-2009, 04:28 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

Ya know... nobody is going to like what I have to say.

Does anyone remember old school football and hockey players??

Remember when those leagues started making their players wear helmets?

There were some that just went along with it. And there were those that fought it tooth-n-nail. And today... they all have to wear them. And for good reason... it helps them from dying or being crippled!

Which is exactly what should be done for motorcyclists. Because it is just the right thing to do. The piece of plastic in our wallets and purses are not a right but a privilege. And we are riding on public streets... which are governed and maintained and built by local, state and federal agencies. So I think that if it is in the best interests of safety... they have the right to tell us that we have to use helmets or safety belts on their roadways.

Ya ya ya... I know... your freaking choices are being eaten up by the big man and all your freedoms are evaporating before your eyes. Give me a freaking break.

I think that it should be a law in every state. And I think that insurance companies should ask if you were wearing one when you file a claim. And yes... if you answer no... your claims should be denied.

But all of this is strictly my opinion... and those who oppose are free to do so. That's what makes the world go around. And I don't think any less of anyone who does oppose my ideas. If you noticed... I haven't been foul with anyone who previously posted and did not agree with what I am saying right now.

For me... I don't live in a state that makes me wear one... but I choose to wear one for a few different reasons.

#1 - I feel that it does make sense and that it will keep me alive.

#2 - My wife asked me to. And if I die because I didn't wear one... then I am showing her that I don't respect the fact that she asked me to or that she cared enough to even ask. And really... I think that if I die because of this... and she is mad at me for it... even my afterlife would be crappy!!

#3 - My kids also asked me to wear one... and I am showing them by example that it is ok to wear one. You can still be cool by wearing one. And by wearing it... I am showing them that I love them.
And ya know, many would argue that riding a motorcycle itself is too risky so we should just ban motorcycles.

So if a guy is riding a motorcycle and goes 50 mph over the speed limit and crashes but is wearing a helmet, should the insurance company also deny a claim?

How much fast food do you eat? Should your health care insurance deny your claim because someone gave them information that you eat fast food for lunch every day?

As many pedestrians die every year as motorcyclists. Since we want to be consistent here, why aren't pedestrians not wearing helmets? 300 die each from ladder falls, tens of thousands injured. Mandatory helmets for them too?

You can't single out one group. What, 35,000 people die every year from car crashes. Many of those are head trauma. It would stand to reason we should all wear helmets when driving.

So do you wear a helmet when climbing a ladder? When walking across the street to the mall? When driving a car? Skiing?

Frickin pussification of America from thinking like that. I saw a kid in myneighborhood a few months ago riding a scooter. I mean, a push scooter. This kid could run faster than he could pushing that scooter. It's two inches off the ground. Has a helmet and elbow pads. For the love of God, it is thinking like this that is losing our freedoms every day. Just wrap that kid in a nerf suit and stay inside. Good frickin grief.

You say it's your opinion but you also say it should be the law. Great. Here's an idea. How about you wear a helmet and let the rest of us decide for ourselves? That way, someone else won't make a law that makes you wear a helmet when you're painting your house.

Last edited by AZ Rider; 07-09-2009 at 04:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Do you live in a no helmet state and wear a helmet