Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you live in a no helmet state and wear a helmet
Never
14.85%
Always
61.39%
Only on the highway
2.23%
Sometimes
21.53%
Voters: 404. You may not vote on this poll

Do you live in a no helmet state and wear a helmet

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Grammaton
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldschoolmedic
...I am of the opinion that if the doctor determines your injuries could have been prevented by wearing a helmet or other protective gear, then your insurance company should also have the choice whether to cover your injuries and losses.
Are you also of the opinion that if a doctor determines your injuries/disease could have been prevented by eating healthier or exercising more then the insurance company wouldn't have to cover the costs?

Old 07-09-2009, 01:30 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 767 Posts

I live in a no helmet state, but when I started riding in 1969 helmets were required. Guess I just got used to it and don't mind it. Most of my riding is with my ACC half, and it's so light and comfy there's no problem.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:42 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Hawaii no helmet law here but I wear one.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:44 PM
TheDarkKnight
Intermediate

In AZ, helmets are required for 18 and under, but I wear one because my eyes dry out in the wind.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:04 PM
JackD
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratster
I live in a no helmet state. I do not wear one. When I take a trip out of state, I will avoid states that require one and will plan trips accordingly. Having said that, I also agree that helmets save lives without question. To me, it's about choice, and I choose not to. As it should be.
Ditto!!!!

Old 07-09-2009, 02:17 PM
hdstreetglide08
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Always wear one, had an accident few years back that I walked away from. Asphalt was embedded in my helmet. Keep it around just for a reminder when I feel like getting stupid. Personally, I don't care if anyone wears one, but I am.

Nothing like a little reality check to bring you back to your senses.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:28 PM
oldschoolmedic
Cruiser

I was not defending insurance companies. They are using actuarial tables to bet you will not need them, and you are betting you will. It is gambling, plain and simple. In my dealings I have found insurance companies to be the least scrupulous of businesses.

As far as insurance companies denying health care to those whose behaviors might have contributed to their poor health, they already do. Why do you think they ask about pre-existing conditions, age, height/weight ratios, recreational choices, etc... when they fill out your policy application. It is their way out of underwriting your bad choices/habits.

If you file too many claims your policy rates go up. Continue to make claims and you will find your policy cancelled. Why is that? Oh yeah, it's too expensive to underwite you.

You are knowingly taking a chance riding without a helmet. It's not an issue of "if" you go down, but "when" you go down. Read through the posts on this forum about near-misses, and non-misses. It is a hazard to riding. We accept it when we saddle up. Insurance companies underwrite your choice. You give them money with the hope you never need it back.

Now if you minimize your risk by wearing ATGATT, should you pay the same premium as T-shirt, shorts, and flip-flop wearing dude? Tell me where the equity is in this situation.

When I got hit I stood up, stretched, checked to see if anything was broken, and walked over to see if the driver was ok. It wasn't until a co-worker pointed out the side of my helmet that I knew how hard I had hit. It was flattened over a palm-sized area. I barely felt it. Without my helmet I would have had the opportunity to spend a couple of weeks or months in the ICU, or a couple of nights in the morgue. Am I a helmet advocate, yes. I also respect your right to choose not to wear one.

I offered an opinion, apparently not a popular one. I am sorry to have offended anyone. I will go sit in the corner now.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:36 PM
GB_FXST
Road Warrior

For me, always. Otherwise, to each his own.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldschoolmedic
I was not defending insurance companies. They are using actuarial tables to bet you will not need them, and you are betting you will. It is gambling, plain and simple. In my dealings I have found insurance companies to be the least scrupulous of businesses.

As far as insurance companies denying health care to those whose behaviors might have contributed to their poor health, they already do. Why do you think they ask about pre-existing conditions, age, height/weight ratios, recreational choices, etc... when they fill out your policy application. It is their way out of underwriting your bad choices/habits.

If you file too many claims your policy rates go up. Continue to make claims and you will find your policy cancelled. Why is that? Oh yeah, it's too expensive to underwite you.

You are knowingly taking a chance riding without a helmet. It's not an issue of "if" you go down, but "when" you go down. Read through the posts on this forum about near-misses, and non-misses. It is a hazard to riding. We accept it when we saddle up. Insurance companies underwrite your choice. You give them money with the hope you never need it back.

Now if you minimize your risk by wearing ATGATT, should you pay the same premium as T-shirt, shorts, and flip-flop wearing dude? Tell me where the equity is in this situation.

When I got hit I stood up, stretched, checked to see if anything was broken, and walked over to see if the driver was ok. It wasn't until a co-worker pointed out the side of my helmet that I knew how hard I had hit. It was flattened over a palm-sized area. I barely felt it. Without my helmet I would have had the opportunity to spend a couple of weeks or months in the ICU, or a couple of nights in the morgue. Am I a helmet advocate, yes. I also respect your right to choose not to wear one.

I offered an opinion, apparently not a popular one. I am sorry to have offended anyone. I will go sit in the corner now.
Am I to assume you would support DNA screening to assist them in their underwriting as well? Probably so.

As far as a "doctor determining" what could have happened... it's refreshing to see the "I am God" mentality is alive and well in the medical field.

Last edited by Ratster; 07-09-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:50 PM
doghair
Road Warrior

I hate helmet laws and helmets period but I wear a half all the time. I don't want to die a stupid low speed death in a supermarket parking lot or 20 feet from my driveway.

Quick Reply: Do you live in a no helmet state and wear a helmet