Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you live in a no helmet state and wear a helmet
Never
14.85%
Always
61.39%
Only on the highway
2.23%
Sometimes
21.53%
Voters: 404. You may not vote on this poll

Do you live in a no helmet state and wear a helmet

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Solidworksguy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in a no helmet state (Pa.) but choose to where one. When i was a kid my pop bought me one. Decided to drive my buddy's go cart, fliped it-saved my dome. Been wearing one since then.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Ribitt
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

started wearing one due to blood thinners.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:59 AM
gregwaa
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Live in Maine and

No helmut law here.But i wear mine all the time. doesnt matter on the distance i ride because u can be a half a mile away and get screwed.
I was riding Monday on rt 114 in Naples(Maine)Nice winding road,Coming out of a s turn some ******* was 3 feet in my lane,Missed hitting me by about 5 feet.If i could have turned around quick enough i would have killed the BAS^%$#.(Road rage)
But after cleaning my undies i went and chilled out by the causeway,
I use to live in Mass. and always road with a helmut,took a couple of trips to N.H and when i hit the border,I took it off,Went about 2 miles and had to pull over and put it back on,Screwed up my equilibrium.
So i wear and my g/f will wear all the time always.
Ride safe and enjoy,The weather here is looking good for next week vacation time.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:25 PM
oldschoolmedic
Cruiser

No helmet law in SC, but I wear one anyway. Like others posted here I appreciate having the choice, but I am of the opinion that if the doctor determines your injuries could have been prevented by wearing a helmet or other protective gear, then your insurance company should also have the choice whether to cover your injuries and losses.

On the other hand, people who choose not to use the appropriate safety gear are job insurance for me.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:38 PM
kccustom
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oldschoolmedic
No helmet law in SC, but I wear one anyway. Like others posted here I appreciate having the choice, but I am of the opinion that if the doctor determines your injuries could have been prevented by wearing a helmet or other protective gear, then your insurance company should also have the choice whether to cover your injuries and losses.

On the other hand, people who choose not to use the appropriate safety gear are job insurance for me.
Then it really wouldn't be "insurance" then would it? or maybe they should have to pay extra if you did wear protective gear and got hurt any way, hmmm, I could see helmet laws disappearing over night if that happened.

Last edited by kccustom; 07-09-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Malac Frost
Tourer

No helmet law state here in Idaho unless under 18. I can only think of a couple of times I have worn it on very cold days. I usually keep it in my saddle bag in case we go west (OR,WA or CA) or south(NV) other than that I enjoy the CHOICE.

Malac

Old 07-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Grammaton
Road Master

I used to wear a helmet all the time. Now I don't.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Big D Harley
Cruiser

Texas is a choice state, with extra insurance and over 18. I always wear one.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Paladin_FXDB
Novice

I'm in a no helmet state (FL) but I am in the military so I still don't have a choice :{

Old 07-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Double_Trouble
Cruiser

Originally Posted by oldschoolmedic
but I am of the opinion that if the doctor determines your injuries could have been prevented by wearing a helmet or other protective gear, then your insurance company should also have the choice whether to cover your injuries and losses.

No offence but that was just a dumb and completely unrealistic comment. Insurance companies have to pay claims on traditional (shingle roofs). Metal roofs are much more resistent to hail and wind dmg. Does that mean they should cover a traditional roof? What about investment insurance? The point is, insurance is there because risks exists. You can choose not to be an insurance company...but if your gona be in that game....your a banking on a risk/reward system.

If you are in a car accident and the insurance company decides you could have mitigated you injuries by not having a box sitting loose in your back seat, should they have the right to also deny the claim?

Sorry...you hit a nerve....anyone defending insurance companies or acting as though they are somehow going broke because people are making CHOICES just gets under my skin.

Quick Reply: Do you live in a no helmet state and wear a helmet