Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you live in a no helmet state and wear a helmet
Never
14.85%
Always
61.39%
Only on the highway
2.23%
Sometimes
21.53%
Voters: 404. You may not vote on this poll

Do you live in a no helmet state and wear a helmet

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Grammaton
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Haus
My choice causes you to lose your choice, your choice causes me and all others to pay more.
Wrong. Repeating a lie doesn't ever make it true. You keep saying this but it's untrue. It's a falsehood.

I still stand by this one... if your breaking the law in any way, yes your claim should be denied so I don't have to pay for your ignorance to the law.
Really? Wow. Your greed is showing.

Yeah... cuz when I am looking at my skills class certificate... that stops the cars from blowing red lights, texting or talking on cell phones...
I see those people. That's exactly the attitude I'm talking about. I don't rely on equipment to keep me alive after a crash. I pay attention to what everyone else is doing and act accordingly. Evidently you just hope for the best and rely on your magic hat to keep you safe.

It has everything to do with being cool if you are trying to show your kids that wearing a helmet is cool to do.
If it's really safer and better all around then it shouldn't need to be cool. I do lots of things that aren't cool. If I had to convince others that something was cool in order for them to do it, well, I don't know what I'd do. That would be a tragedy. Especially if it were one of my kids.

I am not going to set the example for my kids by not wearing a helmet.
I set an example by respecting others and teaching my children to make up their own minds with any and all data available to them. They also understand that when others make a decision for them, their best interests are not always taken into account. Usually, people take what they perceive to be the cheap way out, or whatever way seems best for the decision maker, not the subjects.

Now I am really glad I'm not in your family.
Yeah, me too. On the other hand, if you were in my family, you would be different. Maybe better. You might respect others.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:52 PM
redling36
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There have been a lot of interesting replies here. I started the post to see how many choose to wear a helmet even when not forced to. Most people that I know seem to never wear a helmet to the point they will even stop at the state line to remove it, rather than just keep riding. It was not meant to be an insurance lesson, a family feud or a should it be legal thread. Let's not bash others for their reasons to wear or not wear. We all ride and that's what is important.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Mr Haus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Grammaton

I see those people. That's exactly the attitude I'm talking about. I don't rely on equipment to keep me alive after a crash. I pay attention to what everyone else is doing and act accordingly. Evidently you just hope for the best and rely on your magic hat to keep you safe.
Yeah... we can see how smart you are. You might see most of them, but you can't see them all. So while you cross an intersection and get t-boned by some 17 year old girl crying on her cell phone cuz her boyfriend broke up with her... have fun in the hospital.

Originally Posted by Grammaton
Yeah, me too. On the other hand, if you were in my family, you would be different. Maybe better. You might respect others.
I respect all! If you read my original post... I said this is only my opinion. But you chose to personally attack it and me. So please... no lessons on respect from you. Thanks.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:29 PM
3Deffect
Cruiser

I wear a helmet everyday. Occasonally I might not wear it if I run to lunch but otherwise its on.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Mr Haus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by KnightWRX

The world isn't your kid, you don't have to try to be its mother. I think that's your problem, maybe you want to be something you aren't. Raise your kids how you see fit. "It's cool to stay in school" and "D.A.R.E. to keep kids off drugs" all you want with your own family. Don't try to force your morals on the rest of us.
I wasn't forcing crap on anyone. It is you and the other &*%$# choosing to say that this is wrong. Do you even have kids? You're just speaking to hear yourself it sounds like. Oh wait... maybe you are my son... I did get drunk that one night...

Old 07-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Double3
Tourer

Originally Posted by *NIGHT TRAIN*
In Ohio, you're only required to wear a helmet for the first year, or if you're under 18...
And No, I don't wear a helmet...I've never tried to convince someone who wants to wear one that they shouldn't, just wish those same people would return the same courtesy and stop preaching to those who (legally) don't...
I wore one the first couple times out after I got my bike lol. Haven't had one on since.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:28 PM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Stupid?

I have been riding in a no-helmet law state for 37 years (CT briefly had a helmet law back in the 70's that was laxly enforced and repealed after only a couple of years). I have owned a few helmets, and used them when riding into surrounding states that do have helmet laws. I would stop at the state line and either put on the helmet or take it off, depending on which direction I was headed. 99% of my riding was without a helmet. I went down one time and remember feeling (and hearing) my head hit the pavement - still have the scar to remind me. But that didn't scare me enough; I kept riding helmetless for many more years.

Last year I got a full face (first one I've ever owned) that I started wearing in the very early spring. It enabled me to ride in temperatures that I had previously considered too cold. But as soon as it warmed up, away it went and I rode without for the rest of the summer, only putting the helmet back on in the late fall.

For some reason, I decided to shop around for a more comfortable helmet, reasoning that if it was more comfortable I might wear it more often. I bought a Shoei ST Cruz half helmet that fits properly and is plenty comfortable, although it's a little hot on hot days. For the first time, I haven't ridden without a helmet all year. I think it may have something to do with getting older, and feeling less inclined to take chances. The closer you get to your inevitable demise, the greater the wish to forestall it. And another side effect of getting older - I am far less worried about how I look and who sees me. I'm looking to get something lighter and cooler for those hot summer days - I'm currently thinking ACC.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:20 PM
tajohns
Cruiser

I don't wear a helmet most of the time. I do when it's raining or when I'm on the highway.
I keep telling myself to wear it all the time, but it hasn't worked yet.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:18 PM
KnightWRX
Road Captain

I wasn't forcing crap on anyone.
Wait, isn't that you who said :

I think that it should be a law in every state.
And now you say :

I wasn't forcing crap on anyone.
One more time :

I think that it should be a law in every state.
Like I said, you're a hypocrite.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:22 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

funny, seems the majority does wear one at least sometimes.

my vote was "sometimes"

Quick Reply: Do you live in a no helmet state and wear a helmet