General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Rip Off or What?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Silvertip
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget, rborsholm is in Canada so prices are higher than in the States. I live up Island from him & brake pad price sound about right, the service would have cost you about $300 at a local indy. I buy my tires from a local aftermarket parts guy, his prices are competitive and if you give him the wheel he will mount and balance the tire for free. but I agree with the others here, get a manual and do it yourself. btw, I was talking with some others last night who say that S.D.'s prices are about 20% higher than other HD stores.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:04 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Labor at my dealership is 65 an hour, I would suggest that along with the manual you also get the dvd fix my hog from one of this sites sponsors. Get the one for your bike it helps some times seeing someone else do it and with the help of the manual, dvd, and all of your friends here on the forum it should be a walk in the park. Just my .02 worth

Old 07-10-2009, 01:52 PM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I take mine to a local independant shop for service. Harley is way too expensive and holds onto the bike too long. I had a friend get a $750 quote for a 10K service from an HD dealer. Mine is going in for the 10,000 mile service next week. Cost - $320 and it will be done the same day I bring it in. Once my warranty is up, I will be doing the services myself.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Bennington HOG
Cruiser

Where do you buy a service manual?

Old 07-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Dixrid2
2nd Gear

I see where 2 of our local HD dealers have what they call their "Express Lane" . One of them even advertises an oil change and filter for 29.99 in an hour or less...no appointment necessary.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:48 PM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bennington HOG
Where do you buy a service manual?
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 07-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Bennington HOG
Cruiser

thanks travroc

Old 07-10-2009, 02:56 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by travroc
I take mine to a local independant shop for service. Harley is way too expensive and holds onto the bike too long. I had a friend get a $750 quote for a 10K service from an HD dealer. Mine is going in for the 10,000 mile service next week. Cost - $320 and it will be done the same day I bring it in. Once my warranty is up, I will be doing the services myself.
You can do your own service without affecting the warranty. Just keep good records and receipts.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:57 PM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by rborsholm
Okay, took my Ultra in for the first major tune up (10k). Total bill was $504.00 !! They charged me $100 an hour for 3 hours, the rest was oil, gasket, air cleaner (at $60!). I have heard that these guys rip you off and would like to know what others have paid?

Oh, and when I picked the bike up they informed me that my back brake pads only have 15% left and I should "maybe" replace the tire. Needless to say I am a bit pissed as they could have called me and my wife could have brought over a new set of tires that I have in the garage and I could have got all the work done in one day. They want $100 to replace each tire ($200) + $75 per set of brake pads (I guess I need three sets?). This puts the price of the first tune up at close to a $1,000 !!!!

Comments welcome!.
well if you don't even know when your own tires need replacing ,I'm afraid you are going to be at everyone's mercy........ .... were you under the impression that the labor and materials were free?

Old 07-10-2009, 11:22 PM
rborsholm
Advanced
Smile

Thanks to all that posted - good insight into the dealer charges...

Some clarifications... I have a VTX and have done pretty well all the work on it for the last 5 years (including stage 1, pipes, oil changes, swapping fork springs out, etc. etc.) - got real comfortable with it and yes it is a great way to relax, wrenching away.

The ultra is a big beast (and a bit initmidating) - I plan on getting the manual and start to do the work myself. The dealership made a big thing about how much has to be done during a 10k tune up. They also quoted the Harley sales bible of "And if you don't bring it to us - the warranty...blah, blah, blah....) When I got the bill - it basically was for an oil change... As someone wrote - probably a good idea to get "in writing" exactly what they are going to do and for how much. Needless to say, I did not and the post was more to get an idea if this price was way out of line or not (seems not to be). I appreciate all the responses.

I ride a lot so for me, it will be two oil changes per year and a new set of tires. This winter I will put the machine up on blocks and start "to learn" :-)

Last comment about the tires (more for us Canucks). I found that I could buy my front and back tires, pay for shipping and customs charges for less than I could buy one back tire up here (I have two extra sets of tires for my VTX and a new set of tires for the Ultra in my garage which probably cost 45% of what they would cost up here (after taxes)... Buying online for the States is a great way to get tires....

Again, thanks for all the comments, it was appreciated.

Ron

Quick Reply: Dealer Rip Off or What?