General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indian Motorcycles, seen one-anywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 04:02 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neckball, I agree the build quality of the Indian is up there but it costs even more money for some things, like those billet wheels are $1000. I haven't read anywhere that the wire wheels don't require tubes. Website and brochures don't mention it. They appear to be standard inner spokes. Two toned paint is a $900 option on all bikes, even the Chief Roadmaster.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:27 AM
llbigbird
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

They had demos at Americade

Old 07-11-2009, 03:56 PM
WVRoughrider
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

went to the Charlotte plant and store nice looking bikes,hope they make it.Hoping to maybe trade for and old 49 basket case Indian soon if it works out.Walnecks classic bikes has some nice 40'sand 50's in running order for $18 to 30 grand.Also 30 grand is a lot of money but I've known people to put that in there bikes that sure were not rubs by any means.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:52 PM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Last Indian bike we saw was at my wife's msf class.. she went to do the test ride.. and in the group before her, there was a guy with a big Indian.. he didn't ride it in the class though 'cause it was broke down..

Old 07-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree that they do make a nice motorcycle and source very high quality parts. Some of the details need to be tweaked
I've been reading about some quality issues withthe new Indian on the web. Apparently it takes more than just buying from quality suppliers.

I don't like how the valanced fenders are cut to make room for the calipers. That fender should be flowing and no way should those calipers be showing. I mean, that's a significant styling error in my opinion. Those valanced fenders define Indian. I think a cover is available but a major faux pas.
I agree 100%.

I haven't read anywhere that the wire wheels don't require tubes. Website and brochures don't mention it. They appear to be standard inner spokes.
A good friend of mine works at the factory, this is what I was told when I was there earlier this year.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:00 AM
fourspeed
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Indian Motorcycle Charlotte store is offering a deep discount of five thousand dollars on the Indian Chief Standard model. They are also giving a one thousand dollar store credit for the customer to use any way he or she likes. They are truly beautiful bikes with much attention to detail in the construction. Personally, I hope another American made motorcycle company is successful. The region that the manufacturing plant is located in is experiencing 14.8 % unemployment. People here desperately need decent jobs. We need more of the "made in USA" products here for us to spend our hard earned money on and less of the products made overseas. I hope that they make it.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:37 PM
mjdart
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a 2009 Chief Vintage #31 from the Indian dealer in Wichita, very nice fit & finish, awesome chrome work. Glad I could help keep some Americans working.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:28 PM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 740 Likes on 276 Posts

I saw the frames being E-Coated in a facility in WI. Very nice looking.

I have to agree about the fender; surely that could be done better.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:34 PM
WVRoughrider
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the price has dropped.They did a cash for clunkers deal 3 gs for any tradein over 250cc. plus some other incintives, priced it out about like and Ultra.Not my style but there not bad bikes.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:37 PM
hondaherb
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to say, but Mike Smith Indian of Paducah Ky closed their doors last month. Dealer said the economy just killed his sales. Very beautiful bikes, but over priced for todays money worries. I was really hoping they would make a go of it this time.

Quick Reply: Indian Motorcycles, seen one-anywhere?