General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indian Motorcycles, seen one-anywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 04:01 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-08-2009, 04:30 PM
TwiggyAZ
Banned

Have always loved the Indian bike. I looked at them in Phoenix but didn't try one on. Would definitely consider one if I could lift and ride it. I'd like to try. A group of us went to a paint shop near here that does the custom HD Fenders and Indian fenders. I thought of putting an Indian fender on the ol Deluxe! That would be interesting!

Old 07-08-2009, 04:34 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmything
You'd need to mortage your home to afford a new one. Only RUB's can afford them.

Well I thought I was a RUB but I guess not. I certainly can't go $35,000 on a motorsickle. But still a great looking machine.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:13 PM
alb84z31t
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ironically, I saw one today while at work. The rider past by me sort of quickly so I didn't get a really long look at it, but it did look cool.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Moonrider
Road Master

Back in Spring our local dealer had the factory test ride truck here for a coulple of days and I took for a Chief for a ride. Big scoot...handled very nice, just way too $ for me. I have beach bars on my RK but the bars on that Indian were just way too big. Had to reach a bit too. All in all it seemed like a good scoot. But I wouldn't want to go 300 miles on it.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is my bike surrounded by Indians - literally I could not get my bike out. This was May 2008 in Branson (Indian Point exactly) MO at the Indian Rally. The other pictures of Indians were prototypes of the first year (2009) production of 750 bikes.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:15 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Neckball
I'm not trying to defend the price on the new Indians, it's out of my reach but there are a few differences from a Heritage Softail-

Chrome front end assembly

Brembo calipers and master cylinders with floating rotors ( dual disc up front )

The exhaust is a stainless steel 2-1 design with chrome heat shields. The catalytic converter is in the collector. Then if you want to change the muffler to an aftermarket piece, you're still EPA compliant.

S/S braided control cables

S/S braided brake lines front & rear ( not just front like the H-D CVO models )
Adjustable clutch and brake levers

Hydraulic clutch

2 12volt power outlets

Billet wheels, rear pulley and a few other pieces are Performance Machine.

The laced wheels are from American Wire Wheel. No tubes.

The frames are from the same company that builds the frames for Ducati and Honda/Europe.

There are no robots in the factory. All work is done by hand including the paint and buffing. The tank logos are hand painted, not decals.

Rear suspension is a single Fox adjustable coil-over. Mounts higher than the shocks/springs on a Soft Tail, kinda up under the rear of the seat.

All chrome foot controls

105 CI engine and a Baker DD6 speed transmission
I totally agree. In essence they are like HD's CVO bike program from the perspective of the chrome hardware, handpainted, bigger motors, etc.. For the price differential though...it's probably a good thing that they are only making 1500 copies a year, because I can't imagine the market is very big at the moment considering the economy and the fact that they are just an upstart (new) company. I'd like to have a Vintage Chief in my garage next to my Ultra. I've always liked those long full skirts, leather fringe and teardrop headlamps. Very cool Indian touches. Besides that, don't you get sick of seeing HD's everyday? I do. I would like to see more Indian's on the road, even if they're not coming home to my garage.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:17 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by tpmurray
Here is my bike surrounded by Indians - literally I could not get my bike out. This was May 2008 in Branson (Indian Point exactly) MO at the Indian Rally. The other pictures of Indians were prototypes of the first year (2009) production of 750 bikes.

So in other words, what you're saying is...you were surrounded by Indian's?

Old 07-08-2009, 08:26 PM
indian24
Stage IV

It looks like everyone is in agreement that they are to High Priced, They Chief is a beautiful Machine but it may not be around long enough to matter unless they regroup. I rode it they made huge inprovements.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:28 PM
CMS
Advanced
Default seats

Wow I wonder who manufacturers those brown leather seats for them? Would love that and a matching pair of saddlebags on my 04 Heritage!

Quick Reply: Indian Motorcycles, seen one-anywhere?