General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indian Motorcycles, seen one-anywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:55 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw one riding by me with a group of Harley riders. He was riding tailgunner. I really couldn't tell if it was one the brand new ones. It did have the bottle top heads though. And it was super clean. I really like the look of them, but at $35K for the Vintage, I'd be looking for a CVO Ultra instead. That way I know I can find the parts if anything does go wrong. I think that's going to be a problem for Indian. Not enough dealers in the network to support the sales.... That is if they can sell em at that $$$$.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:14 AM
hondaherb
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In May the local Indian dealer, Mike Smith's Indian Paducah,Ky, had an open house. I got to ride one of the new bikes, love the looks, but hated the ride. The bike vibrated like a Harley from the '80s and the accelleration was very shaky. Nice bikes but way over piriced.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Scooter68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen one about a week or two ago, very sweet looking ride, but still the price tag is way to much.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:27 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,160 Likes on 6,705 Posts

Chester's H-D in Phoenix is selling them out of a converted building that previously housed the used bikes. Yes.......pricey.

Friend of mine was out on his '46 last Sunday. Rather have one like that.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:32 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

I wish them the Best, but at 30K Minumum is out of my price range...

Old 07-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Saw and sat on one, but didn't get a 'ride', down in Algona, over the 4th. Belonged to a const. co. owner, $$$$$$$$$$$$$, and YES, he was a "RUB", BUT the scoot looked good, and seemed well put together. Liked the scoot WAY BETTA, than the owner, he was a *****!!!! Jus' happened to have his motorhome parked next to Darwin and Darlene's.

Yes, I'd ride a "Chief" in a heart beat. I have ALWAYS loved the full fenders, even when I was a kid, and saw the 'original' ones. And they are l-o-n-g-e-r than an HD, that is 'potent' when you're 6'6".

I have ridden a 2000 Chief Millenium Edition, one of the BSMC has the silver edition. But as posted, they had issues with warranty and parts. Hopefully the "new" co. is on top of these things. Time only, will tell. I wish the best for them, and hope they can ride this chit out.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

On the other hand, when a Chief Vintage sells for $35,000 compared to a Heritage Softail at $18,000 it sure makes you wonder.
I'm not trying to defend the price on the new Indians, it's out of my reach but there are a few differences from a Heritage Softail-

Chrome front end assembly

Brembo calipers and master cylinders with floating rotors ( dual disc up front )

The exhaust is a stainless steel 2-1 design with chrome heat shields. The catalytic converter is in the collector. Then if you want to change the muffler to an aftermarket piece, you're still EPA compliant.

S/S braided control cables

S/S braided brake lines front & rear ( not just front like the H-D CVO models )
Adjustable clutch and brake levers

Hydraulic clutch

2 12volt power outlets

Billet wheels, rear pulley and a few other pieces are Performance Machine.

The laced wheels are from American Wire Wheel. No tubes.

The frames are from the same company that builds the frames for Ducati and Honda/Europe.

There are no robots in the factory. All work is done by hand including the paint and buffing. The tank logos are hand painted, not decals.

Rear suspension is a single Fox adjustable coil-over. Mounts higher than the shocks/springs on a Soft Tail, kinda up under the rear of the seat.

All chrome foot controls

105 CI engine and a Baker DD6 speed transmission

Old 07-08-2009, 11:03 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The still have an Evo clone motor, correct? I like the idea of something American made but that seems like it's poor timing and why buy something with an out of date powertrain, same as S&S, when you can get a new Twin Cam for 1/2 the price? I rode a couple of the 2000 Gilroy bikes and the Chieftain with the full skirted fenders and bags and chrome. It was sweet looking but not worth what they were asking.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:05 AM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

IF they'd price them competitivly we'd probably see more of them on the road. But it looks like the future of the new Indian Corp-whatever version this one is... #4? ... could be cloudy if they can't find a way to compete for sales in these tough economic times.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:18 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw them in January at the International Motorcycle Show. I like some of the models. I would rather have an SVO Harley and I haven't seen any on the road. The only dealership in Michigan said in the newspaper a little while back that sales have been good so far. The corporation is a privately held company so you won't see any information they don't want to release. I do remember reading they had no intention of starting an exclusive motorcycle brand in the worst economy in 80 years. When they came up with the plan to ressurect the name plate, Harley was selling bikes as fast as they could produce them.

Quick Reply: Indian Motorcycles, seen one-anywhere?