Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

true duals pros and cons...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 08:16 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default true duals pros and cons...

I have a question about true duals (I did search), what are the pros and cons of getting them. I know about the heat and the better flow, but what is the down side. Also has anyone dealt with this company, Fullsac Performance. They will take your stock exhaust and replace the baffles for a better sound. Plus they do not look too pricey. They also have a true dual set. I do want to get better exhaust in the future but do not have that kind of money at this point. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-21-2006, 08:45 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Default RE: true duals pros and cons...

Is there another economical exhaust system out there that will not have to have the engine remapped or a race tuner. I thought I read on Reinharts site that if you go with a certain baffle diameter no remapped needed. Hey, I’m a cop, I can soot, eat doughnuts, and harass people, not real good with the mechanical stuff.

Old 05-21-2006, 11:07 PM
71tradewind
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lawman I have Samson slipons,they perform very well and have a nice deep throaty sound,I beleive they are about $400.There are alot better pipes out there but these were on the bike when I got it and they certainly do the trick.As far as no remap....if your not remaping then your not gaining anything cept maybe a lil more noise.

Old 05-21-2006, 11:15 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Lawdawg,

The upside to true duals is that they look great, sound great and you get equal exhaust out of each pipe. You already know about the heat improvement so I won't get in to that.

The downside is that they are a little pricey. Don't jump in and buy something you don't want. Save the money you were going to spend on a cheaper brand and just add a little to it until you can afford the Rineharts or V&H True duals.

And oh yeah, don't believe all the crap about power loss. My bike runs great.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:07 AM
wnogood
Banned

Just some friendly advice.....find a set of exhaust/mufflers that you can listen to on a running bike ( buddies, friends, at the local watering hole or harley shop ) Find out what kind of exhaust and if the bike has any engine mods ( this will change the sound ) and buy the ones you like. Take it from someone that has went down the wrong road.....it took me a lot of experimenting to get the sound I wanted. My mufflers are Python III's outside, with Samson 2-1/2 baffles, and some custom welding too. Yet, I must say, I have not heard a set that sounds as good as mine. They are loud, deep and actually on the verge of obnoxious, which is what I wanted.

nogood o~`o

Old 05-22-2006, 01:17 AM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What Terry said is right on the money. My Rhineharts sound great and balanced. They aren't as loud as I thought they might be but loud enough. You can get cheaper sets but I think in the long run you would be happier with Rhinehart. What nogood said can't be any truer. Find the pipes you want on your ride by listening and talking to different owners. Don't buy a set on looks pr what somebody else thinks. Remember that cams make a difference so find out about mods too. It'll be fun. Good luck.[&:]
Oh ya, that power loss stuff is a bunch a BS. You can't prove it on the street. Maybe a Dyno but who cares.

Old 05-22-2006, 02:32 AM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior

Thanks, I'll wait and get what i want, and not settle for the quick fix. Damn you guys are smart.

Old 05-22-2006, 02:32 AM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer

A buddy just put Vance & Hines true duals on his bike. It came from V&H with a small plug-in unit that plugged right into his bike's computer. He said there were around 18 easy steps that reset his bike's computer for the V&H pipes plus his aftermarket aircleaner and the mufflers. Said it made a difference and there was no popping or backfire.
I have the Samson true duals with the fishtail mufflers they sell and I was one of the fortunate ones that the SE Stage 1 cartridge worked on my bike like it was supposed to. Has a good sound when I get on it, rumbles good at highway speed, and isn't obnoxious enough to disturb the neighbors when I leave for work around 4 am every day...at least nobody's had the nerve to say anything...

Old 05-22-2006, 02:35 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

start accepting bribes, the exhaust will come sooner than you think!!!

Old 05-22-2006, 02:41 AM
Big Red
Cruiser

I have the fullsac tru dual kit and it is easy to install and works great, they also put new baffles in my mufflers and they sound great , compared them to T rex and they are a little quiter, not as much rasp in the tone more rumble, 175 tru dual 200 mufflers 375 bucks aint a bad price for the results, key to mufflers is the need to be older pipes- no catalatic converter style.

Quick Reply: true duals pros and cons...