General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forward controls ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009 | 10:18 PM
donna.1965
Moderator "Queens Of The Road" Forum

Originally Posted by LAMing

The FIRST thing a relaxing dirt rider does when facing the unexpected is STAND UP ON THE PEGS. This does several important things, among them:

1. Lowers the center of gravity.

2. Enables your legs to act as additional shock absorbers.

3. Allows you to shift your weight quickly as needed to help you negoiate the obstacle/hazard.

You can NOT do any of the above with forward controls.
I love my forward controls. I can't stand to sit on a bike with mid controls for more than a couple of minutes.

I have stood up on my forwards... it just takes practice.

I don't shift my weight to move the bike... I countersteer.

Therefore, no problem with the forward contols.

Old 07-07-2009 | 10:26 PM
LAMing
Road Master

Laugh all you want, believe it or don't. Up to you.

Standing with forward controls does two bad things:

1. You have to pull on the bars with too much force to pull your weight up. (An excellent opportunity to accidently feed the wrong input into the bars. Wanna' do that at superslab speeds?)

2. Once you DO get up, your weight is TOO FAR FORWARD, loading the front wheel. This is EXACTLY what you DO NOT WANT if you have to stand to absorb the impact of running over something in the road (or heading off for the grass/dirt beside the road). In fact, on an obstacle that will be run over, you want your weight to the BACK to LIGHTEN the front wheel. REARWARD weight bias helps the front wheel get over the obstacle.

DynaJoe: Sorry about your knees. And yes, you may be riding a cruiser and not a "damned dirt bike"... but if we ever get in a tight spot with our forward controls... we will NOT have the same "save-ability" as a well balanced bike with stand-up rider.

Plus, I'm not talking dirt bikes in particular, I'm talking about emergency evasive action and having to take to the grassy shoulder or run over an unavoidable obstacle. These principles apply to all motorcycles. I use dirt bikes because, like it or not, they are FAR more manuervable and adaptable to sudden obstacles than our cruisers ever thought about being. The techniques a seasoned dirt rider in the woods uses ALL DAY LONG without giving it much thought can save your LIFE on the road.

For the best control and ability to absorb impacts, the footpegs need to be nearly directly under a rider so that you merely "stand up" (WITHOUT pulling on the bars) to effect weight transfer and enable better shock absorbtion.

The cumbersome and counterproductive nature of forward controls is simple to demonstrate:

Squat in the floor and raise yourself up using your legs. (That's the correct concept.)

Now, simulate forward controls by sitting in a chair, feet in front of you and try to stand up. You can't. You will either have to pull on something to raise up, (as in handlebars) or you'll have to reposition your feet to be more under you, which you can not do with forward controls.

I know what I speak of.

Bottom line: In a pinch, those of us with forward controls have LESS options available for us to use in order to survive an emergency.

Old 07-07-2009 | 11:45 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

I guess it's pretty obvious why moco makes bikes both ways . Here's one of the ways that riders develop a strong preference. I'm definately in the mid control/highway peg camp, and for the reasons LaMing has listed. But then, I grew up on dirt bikes also. To each his own, I guess, fortunately we can all have it our way.

Aren't a lot of sportbikes set up with rear-set controls? They don't seemm to have a problem with control.

Old 07-08-2009 | 06:02 AM
LAMing
Road Master

It's not a "problem with control"... you can control a bike with forward or rearward or mid controls on smooth surfaces with adequate traction. (i.e. The common road.) The sport bikes are purpose built bikes, just like a dirt bike, etc. Where the sport bike will struggle is if it ever faces a situation where the rider would be at an advantage to stand for the above reasons I've already mentioned. The key issue here is good balance for the rider while standing and improved vehicular stability. Not being propped up on the handlebars, or the weight C/G screwed up by being too far forward or rearward/etc.

Where seating/control point becomes paramount is when something goes wrong and the bike and riding position needs to adapt to surmount the unforseen obstacle. In that case a well balanced bike w/standing rider will have the greatest chance of surviving the circumstances.

It was not my intention to defame or slander our Holy Brand, or cause anyone to be defensive about their choice of controls. Shoot... I have an HD and it HAS forward controls.

I was simply sharing basic concepts of bike control with those that might find interest in it.

I hope none of us have to learn first hand what I'm talking about.

Old 07-08-2009 | 08:33 AM
oneloudz71
Tourer

Well, I really like the feel of my forward controls for everyday riding. I did not and will not buy a bike based on what I can and can not do in case of emergency, if I was that worried about it I wouldn't ride outside of a cage.

Old 07-08-2009 | 09:40 AM
softail04
Road Master

lower the center of gravity by standing ??????
how????
I quit rcing dirt when I turned 55 yo so I can speak for the dirt riders. yes you do stand a lot. diff. conditions.
I use forward controls and love them also have never put MYSELF in a position where I have to use dirt bike skills to survive. hate mid controls and sport bike rear controls.
also have a son that still races dirt and loves forward controls on the street he also loves drag bars which I hate I have apes .. use what feels good to you and ride with in yourself..

Old 07-08-2009 | 11:07 AM
GoodKnight
Cruiser

It's not a "problem with control"... you can control a bike with forward or rearward or mid controls on smooth surfaces with adequate traction. (i.e. The common road.) The sport bikes are purpose built bikes, just like a dirt bike, etc. Where the sport bike will struggle is if it ever faces a situation where the rider would be at an advantage to stand for the above reasons I've already mentioned. The key issue here is good balance for the rider while standing and improved vehicular stability. Not being propped up on the handlebars, or the weight C/G screwed up by being too far forward or rearward/etc.
Not following you on this one? On a sportbike, i can stand up without any hands on the clipons at all. A common mistake for most sportbike riders is to put too much weight on your arms. Your body should be held up by your core/legs.

Old 07-08-2009 | 07:21 PM
LAMing
Road Master

My apologies to all for mentioning it.

Old 07-08-2009 | 11:10 PM
Ironbarr
|
Tourer

My apologies to all for mentioning it.
No warts as far as I'm concerned... there are many sides to many stories. I'm learning, and in that, different sides of the tale are to be known, then chewed on, and finally swallowed or expectorated according to preference.

Just think - there are people riding out there who never heard or know of these considerations (whether right or wrong or something else). There've been at least five MC crashes around here in the past 2 weeks. Wonder if this info might have been useful. Maybe, maybe not, right?

Thanks for the info... I'm chewing.