General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forward controls ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009 | 09:52 AM
softail04
Road Master

forward controlls == the only way to ride

Old 07-07-2009 | 10:50 AM
oneloudz71
Tourer

MUCH more comfortable ride position. I was looking at a number of different models before i bought my night train and any of the bikes that didn't have forward controls I was looking to change to fordward controls before I ever took delivery.

Old 07-07-2009 | 11:27 AM
iceman336
Road Warrior

If you're worried about clearance while wearing steel toe boots, I would suggest putting a heel-toe shift lever on. They will work with boards and allow you to upshift with your heel and downshift with your toe...

Old 07-07-2009 | 02:55 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes forward controls are way more comfy. No way could I ride with mid controls.

Old 07-07-2009 | 07:25 PM
LAMing
Road Master

Bought my first HD (Deuce) in November of '07. After over 3 decades of dirt riding, I I decided to add street riding to my riding experiences, and wanted an HD to do it.

The Deuce came with forward controls. I thought they looked "cool", too.

Now that I've lived with them for 1 1/2 years and have logged about 14,000 miles with them (including a 2800 mile trip), I conclude:

They are for "style" and looks, comfort is secondary. Better control is not in the equation.

You can NOT control the bike better with forward controls. In fact, with forward controls, your weight/center of gravity is all wrong for getting your butt out of a tight spot.

The FIRST thing a relaxing dirt rider does when facing the unexpected is STAND UP ON THE PEGS. This does several important things, among them:

1. Lowers the center of gravity.

2. Enables your legs to act as additional shock absorbers.

3. Allows you to shift your weight quickly as needed to help you negoiate the obstacle/hazard.

You can NOT do any of the above with forward controls.

On my Deuce, IF I had to take to the field to avoid a major hit... I would NOT be able to stand on the pegs to enact the above. Instead, my butt is stuck on the seat and my survivabilty factor is lowered because of it.

IF I had it to do all over again: Conventionally placed controls that allow me to stand (if needed) and "hiway pegs" for relaxation/comfort.

Simply put: You do NOT, and will never have, better control of a bike with your feet stuck out in front of you.

This fact didn't dawn on me until I lived with forward controls for a while.

Old 07-07-2009 | 08:25 PM
GoodKnight
Cruiser

LAMing, exact reason why i decided to keep the mids and put highway pegs on.

I still road race sportbikes, so control is still a concern for me.

Old 07-07-2009 | 08:30 PM
Newhawk
Cruiser

Originally Posted by LAMing
The FIRST thing a relaxing dirt rider does when facing the unexpected is STAND UP ON THE PEGS. This does several important things, among them:

1. Lowers the center of gravity.
LMFAO

Think about it.

BTW Forward controls do not lessen the ability to control the bike.
I'm 6'6" and have extended forwards, being confortable is an important fact in controlling a bike. Even with extended forwards I can stand up on my pegs should a unavoidable nasty enough bump suddenly appear on the horizon.

Old 07-07-2009 | 08:47 PM
tinman67
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ironbarr
Roger that, and thanks. I assume both sides - rear brake and gear shift? Does this allow floor plates?

One of my problems has been my steeltop boots and enough space between the peg and shifter arm.
That would depend on what model (for the floor plates) and yes, both sides. There is some adjustment available in the linkage of the forward controls. I had the same issue when wearing my steel toes. I haven't tried them since I adjusted the linkage. Just did it yesterday and I dont always wear the steel toes.

Last edited by tinman67; 07-07-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-07-2009 | 08:55 PM
DYNAJoe
Banned

[
Due to my worn out knees and hip,I simply cant ride a bike with mids..period....and I'm riding a cruiser,not a damned dirt bike...

Old 07-07-2009 | 09:04 PM
sundancewind
Cruiser

Why have I not seen any forward controls on any lets say Fatboys or Road Glides.
or maybe I have not looked hard enough?

Quick Reply: Forward controls ??