General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet after hitting deer

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:09 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by dog155
It always makes me laugh how the helmet lovers have to keep posting their reasons for needing to wear one.Why is that? I never feel the need to tell people why I don't wear one,must be the confidence thing
I had a serious wreck during my last desert race. A few months prior I received a third place trophy for my finish in the 1974 Nevada state championship hare and hound. Add this to my decades, and hundreds of thousands of miles, of daily riding in big city traffic and that adds up to feeling fully confident in my abilities. The truth is I have forgotten more about riding motorcycles then most people, none of you of course, will ever learn.

The reason for my posts is to support 'freedom of choice'. Of course this freedom depends on people making their decisions not using misinformation. Things like 'an accident while wearing a helmet WILL result in a broken neck', 'a helmet affects hearing and peripheral vision enough to be dangerous', etc..

I never tell anybody to wear, or not wear a helmet. Just be sure and give the proper weight to the 'pros or cons' of any decision you make. And keep in mind that whatever reason anybody has for riding a motorcycle, i.e. freedom, sticking it to the man, saving money on gas, etc. only has any meaning during the time they are actually riding their motrorcycle.
Death, or a head injury, are full time and permanent.

I guess the posts from people that claim "I am a new, or first time harley, rider. My Harley is GREAT. It is the best thing since sliced bread." are more important? Don't we 'helmet lovers' deserve the same respect? Or does the truth about possible bad affects of a head injury scare the 'helmet haters'? It shouldn't because while the affects are pretty bad, they are not something to dwell on. At least not after you have enough experience to be confident in your riding ability. So when there is a post about wearing a helmet, you have already made your decision. You might as well move on, there is nothing for you to see here.

Ron

Last edited by rjg883c; 07-08-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:46 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by dog155
It always makes me laugh how the helmet lovers have to keep posting their reasons for needing to wear one.Why is that? I never feel the need to tell people why I don't wear one,must be the confidence thing
Why does wearing a helmet turn one into a helmet "lover"? What about those who some times wear one and some times don't - are they helmet "likers"?

Posting reasons why they wear one? You mean like
- "If you wear a helmet, you will break your neck."
- "If you wear a helmet, you have no peripheral vision"
- "If you wear a helmet, you can't hear anything"
- "If you wear a helmet, your head gets way too hot"

... are those the type reasons you see "helmet lovers" posting?

On a similar note, I some times wonder why some people who choose to not wear a helmet feel the need to repeat tire, worn out myths, to support their decision, rather than simply saying "I don't wear a helmet because I don't want to." Perhaps you see the "helmet lovers" dispelling these myths and mistake it for something other than providing facts for new riders, or, uneducated older riders.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:14 AM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
If you haven't tried riding with a FF helmet, how can you call BS?

I haven't checked where you are located, but out here in the desert the "full wind in face" is like standing in front of a blast furnace. With the face shield closed there is no HOT "full wind in face". There is only a cool breeze over the top, and down the back, of your head.

The most obvious benefit of the air channels in said helmets is really noticeable after taking off from a stop, at a traffic signal for example. Your head is hot and sweaty, and that happens regardless of helmet or not out here in the desert, but there is instantly that cooling breeze.

Of course the shield must be opened during the stop and closed while moving. But it is hot here in anything but a cage with a good AC. Finally, don't get upset and take anything personally. Some of us are just sharing our experiences and expect everybody to be mature enough to accept or disregard as they choose. It is not an attempt to influence anybody's choices.

Ron
Sorry, I live in the desert, where it can get over 115 degrees during the summer. If my nanny state would let me I might never wear a helmet again.

The vents help on FF but not that much. When the sun is beating down and I am lucky to be riding outside of my Communist minded state, I wear my baseball cap backwards.

That being the case, I am forced by the government (Who thinks that the American people need more regulations to keep us sheple in line then to ever give a **** about personal liberty and freedoms) to wear a friken helmet.

I used to wear a FF when I raced streetbikes on the Autobahn in Germany. 153mph+. The FF is a necessity at those speeds due to wind resistance. But those days are long gone and I do not feel the need to wear a giant basketball on my head anymore.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:22 AM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
On a similar note, I some times wonder why some people who choose to not wear a helmet feel the need to repeat tire, worn out myths, to support their decision, rather than simply saying "I don't wear a helmet because I don't want to."
I wish it was that simple
To answer your question, It is because the some of us are getting sick and tired of being told we are stupid and we need our government to step in a force us to wear helmets like the good minded and compliant helmet wearers. I pray they never get to the point of outlawing Motorcycles, but then you will see why we fight for our freedoms.

Has anyone ever wondered why Bell helmet is one of the biggest supporters and financiers of mandatory helmet laws???

Hmmmm.

Also DOT does not create safety standards for helmets.

I hated to post this link again, but some people need to reread this.

http://www.easyrider.com/fact_sheet.htm

Old 07-09-2009, 06:37 AM
rfranz1952
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cadman311
Did he ride a 4x4 like in the picture and the deer did that to the helmet. Not much inpact on that helmet just slid on the ground.
Better the helmet than the head, eh!

Old 07-09-2009, 06:51 AM
coltsfan
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Barneys Owner
He doesn't have pics of the bike. I am not even sure what type of bike his brother rides. It was a street bike, Ion rides a crotch rocket style bike. I didn't really think it made that much difference of a motorcycle versus deer situation as to what type of motorcycle was involved in the accident. I will see if he has pics of the bike.

The point was that the helmet sustained a large amount of damage, his brother on the other hand did not have any real damage to his upper body.
My helmet looks as bad as that from just falling off the bike onto the ground.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:03 AM
MattInFla
Road Master

Originally Posted by petemac
Maybe it's not the "look" people are after and are thinking about comfort. Sorry, but I can't see wearing a FF helmet around in the summer. Way too hot! I own one and wear it during the winter and in the rain.

It's all about having a choice and not some nitwit politicians deciding for us.
To each their own, but I'd suggest that in terms of comfort being hot wins out every time over having your jaw ground off on the pavement.

Matt

Old 07-09-2009, 07:19 AM
KnightWRX
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MattInFla
To each their own, but I'd suggest that in terms of comfort being hot wins out every time over having your jaw ground off on the pavement.

Matt
If you have your jaw ground off on the pavement everytime you go out to ride, maybe you need more training instead of a helmet.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:22 AM
cadman311
Club Member

Originally Posted by rfranz1952
Better the helmet than the head, eh!
I had crash back in the 70's with out a helmet and would of die if I was wearing a helmet at that time. I have to wear a helmet in my state now. The next time there the same type of crash will I live. Do to state law you must wear a helmet in this state. They are not looking into the whole helmet protection thing as safety as to use side and back bracing on your helmet. You are told the helmet is for your protection and what about everything else on your body? A T-Shirt wearing helmet rider is safer. There is something wrong with that picture.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:37 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellotang
To answer your question, It is because the some of us are getting sick and tired of being told we are stupid and we need our government to step in a force us to wear helmets like the good minded and compliant helmet wearers.
I don't think you've seen anyone here supporting helmet laws.

I pray they never get to the point of outlawing Motorcycles, but then you will see why we fight for our freedoms.
I first joined ABATE back in the early 1980's, when I was in the Navy. I continue to support ABATE and anyone else fighting against helmet laws. I'm also a big 2nd Amendment supporter and gun owner. I have no problem seeing why we fight for our freedoms.

I know facts go much farther than myths in supporting those fights. Some anti-helmet or anti-helmet law people do more harm than good, and some times make themselves appear stupid, when they use ridiculous myths or other claims in their efforts to support anti-helmet laws.

Some of those people also make themselves appear foolish by calling people who choose to wear helmets "Helmet Lovers", while ignoring the reality that many "helmet lovers" are very strong supporters of the fight to eliminate helmet laws.

It's not about freedom from wearing a helmet - it's about having the freedom to make the CHOICE to wear a helmet or not.

Has anyone ever wondered why Bell helmet is one of the biggest supporters and financiers of mandatory helmet laws???
I suppose some people have. It would make good business sense for them to do so, although, I've never heard this possible fact before. How much money has Bell spent in support of mandatory helmet laws? I don't recall Bell having much of a lobbying effort in DC.

On the other hand, I do know the insurance industry has a huge, powerful, lobbying arm in DC. Whereas a company like bell has an extremely limited financial ability to support much of a lobbying effort, the insurance industry can easily spend millions of dollars on lobbyists and other support.

I don't know if anyone has ever wondered why the insurance industry spends millions of dollars in DC, but, if they have, they just aren't thinking about this **** as it would seem, to me at least, to be very obvious why they would spend so much in support of seat belt laws, helmet laws and other regulation which benefits their industry.

Also DOT does not create safety standards for helmets.
How is this relevant to the discussion?

Quick Reply: Helmet after hitting deer