Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions on good ear plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 12:23 PM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Suggestions on good ear plugs?

A-man to the need for ear protection.Last road trip my ears rang for three days,I was getting seriously worried that it was permanant.Never again.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 05-22-2006, 12:34 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a federal law that allows ear plugs in all states, followed by a section that states that it is illegal for any state to enact a law that makes illegal anything setforth previously.

I found it a while back when a friend asked me about it. Can't find it right now, but I'm looking.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:47 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 100 Likes on 43 Posts

http://www.audible-difference.com/Pr...m_earplugs.htm

Protect your ears.

Old 05-23-2006, 03:25 AM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may be a silly question....but you folks wearing plugs...do you wear half lids or no helmet?

just curious, the other day I wore plugs when I wore my full face...It seemed very weird.....too quiet...I stopped after about 50 miles and took out the plugs..

But I wore them with my half lid and they seemed fine....

Old 05-23-2006, 04:17 AM
hddeluxe
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always wear a half helmet, hmmm not a HALF helmet but an open helmet that is smaller than a jet helmet but bigger than a skid lid... English is a funny language

Old 05-23-2006, 10:22 AM
capn_buzzcut
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thing I hate about foam earplugs is that getting them in right just takes too long because you've gotta roll each one up, insert it, then hold in place while it expands. Also, once you're on the road, it's almost impossible to take them out and re-insert them or adjust them if you need to.

I tried some called Moldex Comets recently though, and really like them. They're not foam, more like a soft silicone with a stiff middle. You don't have to roll them up, just push them into your ear and you're set. I thought they might not be as comfortable as foam plugs, but I wore them to Myrtle Beach (4 hours) last week, and to me they are actually more comfortable than foam.

If you don't wear plugs (at least on long trips), you should. Try these really - you'll like them.

Old 05-23-2006, 10:45 AM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've tried several types of plugs here recently, and the standard EAR foamies work about the best. Some of the others I have tried are the rubber ones that have a stem sticking out of the ear so you can easily insert and remove them. This stem seems to transmit wind noise into the plug and into the ear. The foamies, being flush, do not.

Edmo

Old 05-23-2006, 11:44 AM
bfrmbama
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently purchased a pair of custom made earplugs at a bike rally and I love them. They weren't exactly cheap but not too bad either cosidering I'm pretty fond of hearing - 69 bucks.

I'm not sure what the name of the company is but you see them at almost every biker event. They custom fit and create them while you wait.

Old 05-23-2006, 11:52 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,823 Likes on 802 Posts

The best thing is to go to an audiologist, have a mold made of you ears, and have custom plugs made up from that. It's more expensive, but they will fit properly, and be be 100% comfortable.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 05-23-2006, 01:34 PM
Bluerose

Wow...lots of great links and advice.

I wear both a full with a flip up front and a 3/4 with face shield. The 3/4 is a tighter fit so I don't get as much wind noise. Th full faced flipup is very noisy (I think it comes to the flipup seams) but I love being able to flip the face shield up and take a drink.

Haven't worn a 1/2 helmet yet will need to get some decent goggles/glasses for that. I had lasix about 5 years ago (before the new "no cut" laser stuff) and I get some dry eye with too much wind.

Gonna give a few of your suggestions a try.

Quick Reply: Suggestions on good ear plugs?