Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions on good ear plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 08:55 PM
spikehyre
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Suggestions on good ear plugs?

Try a set from a shooter's supply store. They are designed to block impulse sounds but allow you to have a normal conversation and you don't feel like you are underwater. You can hear your pipes, other traffic but the wind is knocked way down...actually makes the ride more enjoyable.

Old 05-21-2006, 09:13 PM
K B
Road Captain

I always try and wear ear plugs on anything more then a few miles. I know too many hearing-impaired motorcycle enthusiast. If I’m stuck somewhere without plugs I’ll use a paper towel or toilet-paper…just 'roll' them up into a little ball\wad.

Old 05-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: spikehyre

Try a set from a shooter's supply store. They are designed to block impulse sounds but allow you to have a normal conversation and you don't feel like you are underwater. You can hear your pipes, other traffic but the wind is knocked way down...actually makes the ride more enjoyable.
hmm...I'll give that a try.

Old 05-21-2006, 09:54 PM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I just recently started riding while listening to music. I've ridden without for several years but since these things are getting smaller and smaller and are easy to carry I've been enjoying my favorite tunes. Bought a set of in-ear headphones from iPod and they seat and seal almost like an earplug. I was hesitant at first with the tunes but if you adjust the volume right you'll get rid of a lot of wind noise and will still be able to hear traffic around you. I never thought I'd do that but I gotta say it's not bad at all and I enjoy it when riding solo. Just a thought.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:38 AM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: Coaster

I just recently started riding while listening to music. I've ridden without for several years but since these things are getting smaller and smaller and are easy to carry I've been enjoying my favorite tunes. Bought a set of in-ear headphones from iPod and they seat and seal almost like an earplug. I was hesitant at first with the tunes but if you adjust the volume right you'll get rid of a lot of wind noise and will still be able to hear traffic around you. I never thought I'd do that but I gotta say it's not bad at all and I enjoy it when riding solo. Just a thought.
Have an ipod nano (small enough to use on bike)...not sure about the legality of that in CA. Might work though...I do the same at work, I have the volume set just high enough to hear it and everything around me.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:50 AM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not really sure if it's legal here in PA. But some things 'law or not' I use my own judgement on. If I get 'caught' I guess I'll just have to pay a fine if it's against the law.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:11 AM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer

Several of the guys I ride with have ipods...but make sure it's fastened on good and tight. One of the guys lost his last time around...sure ticked him off.
I find that the cheap earplugs work just as well as the expensive ones do and there's a whole trick to getting them in your ears and settled the right way. I use them constantly at work...construction truck driver. I just roll them up real tight and ease them in. The technical way is to use the arm opposite up over your head, pulling up on your ear while you push in the earplug.....I'm not that coordinated and wind up usually dropping the plug...[:-]

Old 05-22-2006, 03:17 AM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: Scurvy Jack

<snip>
The technical way is to use the arm opposite up over your head, pulling up on your ear while you push in the earplug.....I'm not that coordinated and wind up usually dropping the plug...[:-]
Ack! sounds like yoga!

Old 05-22-2006, 03:53 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bryan TTM

cigarette butts
hey thats my line

Old 05-22-2006, 06:08 AM
hddeluxe
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a set custom made (by http://www.earfoon.com/) for my ears and they are just great. It is possible to connect speakers to them and I've plugged in my Ipod, Garmin GPS and cell phone via a neckmike(http://www.earfoon.com/)[8D]
Never a dull moment on the long hauls
The web sites are Swedish but I'm sure you got similar gadgets in the US.

Quick Reply: Suggestions on good ear plugs?