General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice, "What would you do?"

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Sell both and get an older truck that's "paid for" or at least alot less than $600 a month. You'll get another bike eventually, but for now you're buied in debt with those two vehicles. If you figure in the cost of insurance you'll be $1000 a month ahead easily.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Lightngsvt2
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your young, you have time to either screw up you life or lay a solid foundation if thats what you want. Make sure your girl is "the one", get the debt paid off before you leave Mom's house and learn how to invest and save also.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:09 PM
DYNAJoe
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kill yourself..its all downhill from here...diapers..OL on the rag...getting up at 4 am to get to a dead end job...juggling bills that exceed your paycheck....if not suicide....DEAL WITH IT!!!...its called LIFE!!!...when I was 20 I didnt have a damned forum to 'cry' on..I dealt with it...good luck lil Bro....:>)

Old 07-05-2009, 11:14 PM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member

Here's a link about the tax credit , there's talk of extending it and increasing the amount.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/econom...extended_N.htm

Around this part of the country the economy is pretty bad , it was just in the paper the other day that 80% of the homes that were sold in the last few months are in foreclosure.

VP Biden is admitting the stimulus hasn't been very successful and this mess might have to just play out (duh).

The POINTS are it is a very good time to buy and also vary risky time to buy.

It doesn't look like anything will change for the better for quite some time, in fact I think it'll get worse before it gets better with several states in the red.

At your age and this economy you better look like GOLD to a bank for a home loan.

If you want something bad enough you'll find a way to get it .

I would sell both and buy a cheap car for cash .

Sock that extra $900 away each month till your ready.

The days of living week to week are over as many have found out , don't be one of those.

Keep a cash reserve of at least 3 months wages preferably 6-9 months.

Many of us have been in the same situation and made the sacrifices to get to where were at today.

I'd marry the gal first before you buy , don't hurt to see if its agreeable to the both of you , before you make the ownership plunge.

Start studying books buy Dave Ramsey.

Good Luck!

Old 07-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Ridiculous
Advanced

Originally Posted by oct1949
On the limited info U stated, first U haven't saved any Money while living at home. So Ur not a saver..

After three yrs of working, it seems U make around 1k a month or so because U said Ur living paycheck to paycheck and the $900 payments takes all Ur money.
So again U haven't planned for the future at all. In my opinion U should have at least $9-$10k saved by now.

U also didn't say anything about Ur GF, expect she is in the same boat as U.

So I see a big mess coming Ur way if U get married now, There's no way U can make a house payment, pay for - utilities, food, Vehicles, insurance, and taxes . Just selling Ur bike is not going to cover all the new bills that come with marriage, children, and a house.

I don't mean to stay at home all Ur life either. just U need to learn how to save and plan better, Ur habit of not saving is biting U now and will in the future.

This is how I did it. I lived at home till 24, mostly to help Mom, Dad had bad heart and back injury's.. Then married.

I had saved enough to not only make a down payment on a house, but paid 1/2 of it when we signed and then paid it off in 3 yrs.
Had a 1 yr old truck that I paid cash for, and a 2yr old harley that I paid cash for. And my new wife didn't bring any debt into our marriage either, nor did she work after we were married.

And NO, I didn't get a Penny from anyone, I saved almost 50% of what I earned for 4 yr.s

We had our son the 4th yr of marriage, so we tried to make sure we were going to make it and not end in divorce before we had children.

So we were financely sound from day 1 and have been all of our 35 yrs together.

I'am proud that I can Honestly and actually say that we have 'NEVER" had an argument about MONEY. Other things YES, but not money.

You can't borrow Urself out of debt and if Ur living Paycheck - paycheck now it don't look good IMO.
well i'm glad to hear you were raised right. sure sounds like your parents led you down the right path. but for me, my parents divorced when i was in the third grade, i lived with my dad and a b!tch of a stepmom til a freshman in highschool and then been living with my grandparents ever since. so not much parenting really. i'm what you could call 'self taught' and it looks like i'm learning the hard way! and i actually was just telling you about part of my debt. mainly the debt that i can ditch easily. i've also got student loans, credit cards, rent, etc. but i didn't think you needed to know my life story just to give a guy a little words of wisdom. and since my g/f is still just that a girlfriend, i don't think you need to know everything about her either, but if you wish. she's also is 'self taught' probably doin a little better than me though. got her first car when she was 19, all by herself and that's no crap. full time student right now workin at info USA. she ain't got no bad habbits or toys but a few too many credit cards but shes a full self supporting gal who i love dearly and have been living with for 3 of the 5 years i've been with her.

Originally Posted by DYNAJoe
Have you thought about suicide?...
and you! what kind of assinine comment is this supposed to be? you don't know me or my life history where i come from or anything! i come on here asking my harley loving buddies for a little advice and here you come with this comment! i think that's pretty f***ed up as a human being.

and if you really want to know, the answer is YES! i have thought about it! the closest i've come was taking my great grandpa's 16 ga. single shot shotgun, putting a shell in it and sitting on the edge of the bed with it under my chin. all i had to do was **** the hammer and pull the trigger. but i couldn't do it cause how horrible it'd make my families lives. besides, that's the cowards way out!

so with that being said, i hope you feel like a complete *** and and that you burn in hell!!!!!!!!

Old 07-05-2009, 11:48 PM
ampman
Novice

20 years ago, I sold my bike under similar circumstances. Make sure you're ready for the house before you buy. Don't feel like you have to jump in by a certain date.
It won't be easy but with your attitude you will make it.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:56 AM
ZombyWoof
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Devil Dog
Join the Marines. They'll give you a nice place to live.
Ditto (for any branch.) You can keep the bike at mom's house, let the girl drive the truck, and if the girl sticks with you for four years, then marry her. With the places you will be living (tents or a ship) you'll save all kinds of dough for a house when you get out.

Last edited by ZombyWoof; 07-06-2009 at 12:59 AM. Reason: additional content
Old 07-06-2009, 04:09 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

SELL the PICKUP, THEN YOU"LL HAVE AN EXTRA $600.00 A MONTH TO GO TOWARDS BUYING YOUR NEW HOME!!! INSTEAD OF $300.00 Then everyone will be HAPPY, AND YOU STILL HAVE YOUR BIKE!!! OH, and ALWAYS LISTEN TO MOM!!!

Last edited by hpfatboy; 07-06-2009 at 04:14 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:26 AM
Rick1972
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A lot of good advice I have read. I agree with several. Sell the bike and truck and buy 1 vehicle you can afford. Don't FINANCE a vehicle, BUY a vehicle. Save some cash, then buy a house on a 15 year note. The note should NOT exceed what you bring home in 1 week, or should not exceed 25% of your take home pay.

Also, for what it's worth, that $8000 tax credit goes against your income, not your tax liability. It will only save you about $2000 on your taxes. Welcome to life and another liberal lie....

Old 07-06-2009, 07:31 AM
so165
Tourer

Well ya said two things that tell me you need to sell the bike, you said "in my mind it is a toy" and "my hobby" if you feel like that then sell it, hell my bike is my lifestyle, I would sell everything else, and even if it came down to my bike or food, I am keeping my bike!!

Quick Reply: Need Advice, "What would you do?"