Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What if I get a ticket..........

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 09:28 AM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,512 Likes on 5,067 Posts
Default What if I get a ticket..........

for aftermarket exhaust? Can I put my stock pipes back on and leave the other Stage 1 stuff alone?

Last edited by SeniorChief56; 07-04-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:35 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes you can.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:17 AM
RE AND CHERYL
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest restriction in the stock parts is the airfilter. And even if you put both the stock airfilter and pipes back on, the worst that would happen is the engine would run rich.

Re'

Old 07-04-2009, 01:11 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 767 Posts

So, IF you get a ticket you'll put the stock exhaust back on. How long will you leave it on? And then, when will you switch it back, if at all? Unless you're in an area where they are looking for loud pipes, I'd wait until I got the second ticket, then you might as well sell the system. It'll pay you back for the exhaust, at least.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:44 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok Senior, since you live close to me, I can give you the low down. I got a ticket from a San Diego motor cop on the 8 heading west just coming out of El Cajon. The cops around here will write you for improper or non functioning muffler, which the way the law is written, doesn't require the use of a decibel meter for noise measurement. It is all in the opininon of the officer. It is a fix it ticket, meaning you can put your stock pipes, or muffler back on and have any police officer sign off on the ticket saying you have repaired it. At that point, you take it to what ever court office you have to and pay $10 for processing fees and your done. So once you get your bike inspected and the ticket signed off, you can go back to the way it was. Thats what I did.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:48 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sonar_chris
Ok Senior, since you live close to me, I can give you the low down. I got a ticket from a San Diego motor cop on the 8 heading west just coming out of El Cajon. The cops around here will write you for improper or non functioning muffler, which the way the law is written, doesn't require the use of a decibel meter for noise measurement. It is all in the opininon of the officer. It is a fix it ticket, meaning you can put your stock pipes, or muffler back on and have any police officer sign off on the ticket saying you have repaired it. At that point, you take it to what ever court office you have to and pay $10 for processing fees and your done. So once you get your bike inspected and the ticket signed off, you can go back to the way it was. Thats what I did.

Isn't San Diego PD the ones that were in the news a few months ago wanting to put louder pipes on their bikes?? The bastages!!!

Old 07-04-2009, 01:49 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Isn't San Diego PD the ones that were in the news a few months ago wanting to put louder pipes on their bikes?? The bastages!!!
No that was Oakland PD, San Diego cops use BMW bikes. I don't think they would wan't them to be louder.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:11 PM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,512 Likes on 5,067 Posts

Chris,,,,,thanks, I know all about fix-it-tickets,,,,,question was about IF I put my stock exhaust back on, iIF I had to do anything with Stage 1.... FYI was going home on Scripps/Poway/Parkway the other day, I was trailing a motorcop,,,,pulled up in the next lane and asked if he was going home, he said "yup" and pulled away. I should have asked him about my Vance/Hines

Old 07-04-2009, 02:14 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member

If you went back to stock pipes, your A/F mixture would stay the same as long as you dont change the air cleaner. If you put your stock pipes back on, it wont make a big enough change to hurt anything.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Double00Aught
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No that was Oakland PD, San Diego cops use BMW bikes. I don't think they would wan't them to be louder.
I'd write tickets if I had to ride one of those too

Quick Reply: What if I get a ticket..........