General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quality of parts: Harley vs third party

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 08:48 PM
ishred
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quality of parts: Harley vs third party

Wondering what experiences people have with parts from different vendors compared to Harley.

Specifically, I am going to add mini apes and change the housings to chrome. Buying the parts from Harley (bar and housings only) would cost around 600. I found a site that has it pre-assembled for $325.

I've found that Harley is competitive on seat pricing, but this is almost double. Is there a quality differnce?
Thoughts?

Old 07-03-2009, 09:03 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

All I'll say is if you go aftermarket, try to buy "made in USA". The quality will be worth it.
I know "made in USA" can't be said for some of the "genuine" HD parts, but I've bought both and haven't really had a problem with the Harley parts or finding them at a discount.

In other words, don't go too cheap.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:30 PM
RCB
Road Warrior

For bars I would recommend you checking out the Wild1 Chubby bars very good quality. Check out Hill Country Custom Cycles I purchased their chrome billet aluminum hand controls and switch housing a few years back and have been very happy with their quality also. If your hell bent on H-D parts check out Chicago or Zannotti H-D.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:49 PM
tom071200c
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on Chicago and Zanotti's HD. If you go with Harley brand, plug in your part numbers on their sites and watch the savings pile up.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:46 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I go with Harley stuff alot because with parts I've bought they are roughly the same price and seem just as good of quality and seem to fit up better.

I got aftermarket saddlebag lid organizers for $35. They fit OK but probably not as good as the Harleys.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:13 AM
ishred
6th Gear

Thanks all.

I checked out zanottis, and all I can say is WOW. 20% lower than my dealer. I'll see if he will match the price, but I doubt he. He sells everything for the msrp. When I asked about a new bike he wasn't willing to budge a dime. I went to the staten island dealer and he offered to save me the shipping/assembly fees without me asking.

I also found a custom shop that had expensive housings, and much cheaper ones. I'm gonna email them and ask what the difference is

Old 07-04-2009, 07:41 AM
NOLAMike
Road Master

Originally Posted by ishred
Thanks all.

I checked out zanottis, and all I can say is WOW. 20% lower than my dealer. I'll see if he will match the price, but I doubt he. He sells everything for the msrp. When I asked about a new bike he wasn't willing to budge a dime. I went to the staten island dealer and he offered to save me the shipping/assembly fees without me asking.
In the past, for bigger ticket items, I've printed the web page from an on-line vendor selling discount new HD parts, and taken it in to the dealer for them to match. Much to my surprise they did. I got the discount, and kept my $$$ local. I do prefer to keep $$$ local when possible--helps keep my neighbors employed.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:42 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

nope, not much of a diff except for price.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:53 AM
rides99fatboy
Cruiser

In general, the HD parts I've purchased over the years have been better quality than aftermarket knockoffs. For example, I once had to replace the chrome clutch brackets and found Custom Chrome replacements. Since I web-ordered I didn't have the opportunity to examine it before I received them. The chrome job was not as nice as what I had. It appeared the parts were not cleaned up well before they chromed over them. There were nubs left from the casting that should have been ground off and pits in some places. You get what you pay for.

On the other hand, I've bought Kuryakyn parts over the years and those have always been top notch. I just put on the driving lamps from them on my FLHX and everything in the kit was quality. Thing is that Kuryakyn is just as expensive as HD stuff, so the only reason to go with it is if you find something you like that HD doesn't make. I didn't want the big round driving lamps and looking like an Ultra, so these gave me a look that HD couldn't provide.