General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brotherhood?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 08:12 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

The times, they are a changing! ---- I will always stop for a lone bike on the side of the road. The last one I stopped for was a new Honda with a big hole in the rear tire. We got the tire pluged, finally, and the biker got into a town where was able to get it fixed right. If I ever see ya on the side of the road,---- I'll stop!

Old 07-03-2009, 08:21 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by OLD 96
Well, yeah. That is what this thead is about.
BROTHERHOOD.
A foreign concept to some.
A life style to others.
A brother hood of two wheels.
Too bad some just don't get it.
I think they should have stopped. I would have. But I have a bit of an issue with the Brotherhood portion of your comment.

Just because we share a common interest does not make us brothers. That term in my opinion just like Respect has to be earned.
Unless we have been in some really bad chit together and pulled each other out, or over a long period of time have been there for each other. We are not brothers.

It makes me nuts when I pull into a bar, gas station, rest stop of whatever and some guy on a bike comes over a addresses me as "bro". My response used to be "I don't even know you...I ain't your phukin bro".

Now I just let it go and try to be civil.

OK I'm done. OK nuff said, I'm done and I don't want to argue about it. That's just the way I feel.

You are entitled to your feelings also but my not calling you bro should I meet you someplace will probably not **** you off. But you calling me that will **** me off. And I suppose that's fine cause as my Grammy used to say (God rest her soul)...."It's better to be pissed off then pissed on'. Although I have met a couple of gals in my life that might argue my Grandmothers logic.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:39 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
I think they should have stopped. I would have. But I have a bit of an issue with the Brotherhood portion of your comment.

Just because we share a common interest does not make us brothers. That term in my opinion just like Respect has to be earned.
Unless we have been in some really bad chit together and pulled each other out, or over a long period of time have been there for each other. We are not brothers.

It makes me nuts when I pull into a bar, gas station, rest stop of whatever and some guy on a bike comes over a addresses me as "bro". My response used to be "I don't even know you...I ain't your phukin bro".

OK I'm done. OK nuff said, I'm done and I don't want to argue about it. That's just the way I feel.
You make some good points when it comes to the term "Brotherhood" that seems to be thrown around all too easily these days...

Here is a very good description was was written by 'Teacher' and part of the WWW.RCVSMC.NET (MC 101) Webpage. Probably many out there have read this before, and it explains how the term "Bro" or "Brother" means different things to different people;

"The word "Brother" has become very abused in the motorcycle world these days. Seems like if you buy a bike and a new set of leathers, everyone else that rides has now become your brother. Some call it Brotherhood when sharing the wind on two wheels. Some call it brotherhood when you ride a few roads together. Just what truly is brotherhood?

There are Brothers in Christ. Brothers in Masonic temples. Brothers in several organizations. Elite military units commonly form a brotherhood among the members of squads. Navy Seals for example, are more than the sum of their individuals. They become more than just a team. They become brothers, totally committed to one another up to and including giving their lives for one another if necessary. Men that have shared combat together have formed such close relationships as to call each other brother. While these are no less committed than any other Brotherhoods, when it comes to the motorcycle world, there is also a very strong bond among those that call themselves Brothers.

What is a Brother in the MC world?

Once you've gone through the hangaround period, the members of the Club have viewed your behavior, your attitude, your dedication, trust and loyalty, to be there. If you've actually completed this period, then you may be asked to become a prospect. During this time you are put under a much more intense review. You and the other members of the club find out if you are suited to be a part of the club and if you can accept the other members as Brothers just as much as if they can accept you and call you Brother. Can you dedicate yourself to the others as close as you would your own flesh and blood? Many times it is an even closer commitment than family. The person that you call Brother becomes family as a part of his as well as you being a part of theirs. A common phrase used in MC circles is ”I am my Brother’s keeper”. This means you will support him and help him any way you can, sometimes to the point of selling your bike to help him, quitting your job to go help him and, in some cases, Brothers have even done things that they already know could get them put in jail because they were willing to take that step to help a Brother out.

With all that commitment, it’s also that you would not ask a Brother to do something drastic without very good cause. Brothers may disagree, but they will always respect one another and treat each other with respect.

Please take note that if you haven't had any experience being around some of the more serious MC's (1%, support clubs, etc.), they take the word "Brother, or Bro" very serious, and they'll only use the word as a show of respect towards their own club, their members, and any club who they've also bestowed that word upon.

And if a club overhears someone throwing around the word lightly within their midst, it could cause them to aggressively educate those whom they felt disrespected them by abusing the word.

Next time you feel the need to call someone Brother or Bro, just what is behind it? Commitment or just trying to sound cool?

Written by: Teacher"

Old 07-03-2009, 08:56 AM
GaCracker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always stop but thats just me but you know what they say what goes around really goes around.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,269 Likes on 1,582 Posts

After 30 years of riding you just noticed this?

Things ain't like they used to be, and likely won't be again any time soon.

30 years ago people would just deal with things. That was part of the ride, fixing what went wrong, dealing with a problem. Today people feel the need to whine to the world about their hurt feelings.

Last edited by Toypuller; 07-03-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:00 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,294 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by nooster
i broke down twice on my old honda and each time a harley rider pulled over to check on me. it was long ago thou.
I dunno...back in 1980, I had a flat rear tire on my '76 Honda 750F on a back county road and at least 2 groups of harley riders passed me by laughing and shooting me the bird cuz I was riding a "rice burner".

No cell phones back then...I had to push that damn bike for several miles before I could get to a phone booth and call for some help.

I never forgot that day.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:01 AM
captain m
Road Master
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by IronAss

You are entitled to your feelings also but my not calling you bro should I meet you someplace will probably not **** you off. But you calling me that will **** me off. And I suppose that's fine cause as my Grammy used to say (God rest her soul)...."It's better to be pissed off then pissed on'. Although I have met a couple of gals in my life that might argue my Grandmothers logic.
If I see someone on the side of the road ,I'll slow down and ask if they are ok,thumbs up ,I go on.If I see someone working on thier bike I'll stop and ask if they need help.If they don't ,I leave.At least I offered.
On the "bro" thing,we call each other bro in our club as well as a few outsiders that we know,I see no harm in that.I agree with a lot of your response so I'm going to call everyone I meet from now on"Ironass",You on the other hand can call everyone "Captain"so if we run into one another,we'll be at ease from the get-go.(jokin') But I'm hearing what you're sayin"

Old 07-03-2009, 09:05 AM
GaCracker
Cruiser

Originally Posted by toypuller
after 30 years of riding you just noticed this?

Things ain't like they used to be, and likely won't be again any time soon.

30 years ago people would just deal with things. Today they feel the need to whine to the world about their hurt feelings.
things have changed some but 30 years ago i broke down in my truck in town and no one stoped and even ask if i needed help, a month later i broke down in the next county and within 10 min 8 people stopped and ask if i needed help and their wasn't near as much traffic as the other town, its just where you are sometimes, and not to make excuses but there is alot more evil out there and people are alot more conscious.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:08 AM
GaCracker
Cruiser

Sorry (cautious) not conscious

Old 07-03-2009, 09:21 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SBRob
I dunno...back in 1980, I had a flat rear tire on my '76 Honda 750F on a back county road and at least 2 groups of harley riders passed me by laughing and shooting me the bird cuz I was riding a "rice burner".

No cell phones back then...I had to push that damn bike for several miles before I could get to a phone booth and call for some help.

I never forgot that day.
Now that's Harley Brotherhood right there

Quick Reply: Brotherhood?