General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Count down is on Leave sunday morning cant wait dragon here we come.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 08:20 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Count down is on Leave sunday morning cant wait dragon here we come.

Count down is on Leave sunday morning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man i cant wait.

We are leaving sunday morning at 8am from north of columbus ohio heading to the dragon. Me, my dad, my uncle, my dads friend and his lady, and buddy from work.

Plan as of right now is to ride all the way to knoxville spend the night. Get up monday morning and do a bunch of riding down into the dragon area and smokies. Meet up with bunch guys from work that are trailering there rice rockets down on monday. Ride all day monday in the area and they are camping and we got rooms at Deals gap. So some drinking lol.

Get up tuesday and ride all around the area again.

Get up Wed and leave and head to Nashville and check out the city and maybe spend the night.

Then get up thursday morning head north to cave city mammoth cave ky area and spend a day.

and then work our way back across ky and ohio arriving back home some time sat or sunday.

Been waitting on this all year since we started talking about it.

Got new tires on the bike and going to dads tomorrow after work to get the fluids all changed out and washed and waxed and packed up for the trip.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Slayer dude
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your gonna love it down there. 11 1/2 months to go for me.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:44 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a good trip. Me and momma are going to IronHorse tomorrow for a couple of nights. I hope there ain't a lot of crazies on the roads around there. Watch your butt on the dragon and Cherohala skyway....ride safe.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:01 PM
trslim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

have a blast and be safe

Old 07-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,038 Likes on 7,310 Posts

Me and 11 buddies did the Dragon for the first time on Monday.

5 Million Mile Monday and we rode 660.4 miles in North Carolina, over to Tennessee, down to Georgia and back up through South Carolina.

We rode the Dragon from the NC side over into Tennessee and then turned around and rode it back. I enjoyed it way more then I even expected and found that you could have a good time without being out of control. We were warned that the Tennessee State Police are tough and will write you up for 1 MPH over and if you get a wheel over the center line. Guess what? There was not a single police car on the entire road either way. We got behind a semi on the first run and stopped at the overlook and shot a group picture with the damn in the background. That gave the semi time to get out of our way. On the way back we had nothing in our way and a couple of the guys on Ultras are really good riders and they showed me how it was done. I pushed it to my comfort level and had a good time. I was in the fast group of six and in fourth position and did not get left behind. There is one spot that is straight but with very slight bumps they call curves and I actually hit 60 MPH real fast in 3rd and was on the brakes hard beford a hairpin turn. I can say I saw 60 on the Dragon. But please be very careful of the semi trucks. We passed a second one going the opposite direction coming back and you absolutely do NOT want to be in their way on a hair pin curve. They take the whole road, they take it fast and there is no where but down a cliff if you are there when they are.

Ride your own ride and enjoy

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 07-02-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:21 PM
DragonSlayer08
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My son (man4mopar) and I ran the Dragon three times. Once on June 17th and two times on June 19th. We also ran the Cherohala Skyway twice. It is beautiful there and you will not regret the trip, it was the trip of a lifetime for me. On our last day in the area we road from Gatlinburg, TN to Rochester, MN, our home town (934 miles). If you are interested in some pictures I took of our trip check out my Photobucket page.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioSkully
Count down is on Leave sunday morning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man i cant wait.

We are leaving sunday morning at 8am from north of columbus ohio heading to the dragon. Me, my dad, my uncle, my dads friend and his lady, and buddy from work.

Plan as of right now is to ride all the way to knoxville spend the night. Get up monday morning and do a bunch of riding down into the dragon area and smokies. Meet up with bunch guys from work that are trailering there rice rockets down on monday. Ride all day monday in the area and they are camping and we got rooms at Deals gap. So some drinking lol.

Get up tuesday and ride all around the area again.

Get up Wed and leave and head to Nashville and check out the city and maybe spend the night.

Then get up thursday morning head north to cave city mammoth cave ky area and spend a day.

and then work our way back across ky and ohio arriving back home some time sat or sunday.

Been waitting on this all year since we started talking about it.

Got new tires on the bike and going to dads tomorrow after work to get the fluids all changed out and washed and waxed and packed up for the trip.
Oh Yeah!!! Love riding the Dragon and am crazy about the whole dang area.
Goin' once a year is not enough for me but sadly just has to do. I can make dozens of runs, back and forth, getting in touch with the road and my machines. Really really enjoy that road... and the area.
Have fun!

Old 07-03-2009, 03:49 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks all and Dragon slayer nice pics i remember alot of what you have pictured. We were down there last year in gatlinburg and the smokies with the kids and i have been itching to take the bike back down.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:13 AM
mountainpharm
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope you're able to avoid most of the weather we're supposed to have on Sunday. I'm in northwest NC and Sunday is supposed to be a washout.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:16 AM
cujo101
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaving southern ohio in about an hour and a half. Staying at the Two Wheeled Inn tonight and Sat. night.

Quick Reply: Count down is on Leave sunday morning cant wait dragon here we come.