General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Hawaii - Bike rental - Any input?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 05:44 PM
howtodoit
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either rent from a dealer or go through the Hog Fly and Ride program. We were just there in Feb for two weeks, we were on Oahu, Maui, and the Big Island, and roade each island, we found Maui we loved, the beaches are grat but it is almost too small for any really good riding, Oahu going up to the norht shore was great, but the big island is large enough you can ride, acutally get in 6th gear, it has beaches, waterfalls, and volcanos, on the big island you can go to the southern most point in the US, at the tip of the big island.

And you want to have rain gear, if you rent through Hog or from the dealer they will have gear to use. On Oahu we rented from a private business and the bike ws a peice of trash. Both times through the dealer we had 2009's with low miles, and they we waiting for us, ready to go. Have a great time, and watch out for the crazy tourist cage drivers!

Attached Thumbnails Cruise Hawaii - Bike rental - Any input?-img_0541_0067_067.jpg   Cruise Hawaii - Bike rental - Any input?-img_1053_0046_046.jpg   Cruise Hawaii - Bike rental - Any input?-img_1205_0020_020.jpg   Cruise Hawaii - Bike rental - Any input?-img_1216_0018_018.jpg  
Old 07-03-2009, 07:11 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

I used to rent before I moved here, Kauai. I think Kauai Harley might be your only choice now and I think they give a good discount if you are a memeber of HOG.

There are some nice roads here off the beaten path but if you don't know where to go they can be hard to find. Waimea Canyon is the most popular and easy to get to.

Took a ride the other day with some tourist, turned out to be about 130 miles and didn't even make it to the North Shore. They commented they would not have found the roads we took them on.

There are ways to get around the traffic problems by going inland into residential areas some nice sights too and then back down ocean side. Depending on where you are from you might not think its traffic, former New Yorker here.

Kauai is small and some of the less traveled roads are tight and you have to watch for oncoming cars. You can't get lost its an island and safe so just take any road that looks interesting, main roads are OK.

Let me know if you come to Kauai, I've managed to put 9k miles here in 5 months, I'll tag along I don't need an excuse to ride.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:31 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for all the information. I think I will call the dealerships before I go and set simething up. Haven't decided on which island yet but will reread all your information and decide after talking with them. Thanks again

Old 07-04-2009, 10:51 AM
rodente
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wife and I rented from a private place in O'ahu, the riding was awesome, sights and ocean side riding...spectacular....bike....60,000 mile Heritage that rattled, clunked, vibrated, wheel hopped, and put our asses to sleep inside of 15 minutes. This bike was the biggest piece of CRAP I have ever had to ride, the owner didn't like my comments and refused to swap the bike out, so we rode slow and as safe as possible given the circumstances. If I had to do it again, it would be the stealership for sure no questions. But still one heck of a memory all in all....

Old 07-04-2009, 11:51 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master

Definitely rent from the dealerships and pay for the insurance that releives you of liability for damage. I have rented many times, Guam, San Diego, O'ahu etc... I go to Oahu a lot, in fact just got back yesterday and heading there 13July. I don't rent anymore when there as there wasn't enough riding for my taste. Don't get me wrong N. Shore etc is nice and I know a lot of off the beaten path places... But if I am to rent again it's gonna be Big Island.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:32 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I've done it twice. On Oahu from and independent rental shop about two blocks from from the beach. I was staying in the Hawaiian Hilton Village both times, and it's very convenient.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Boxer 6
Road Captain

Just came back from two weeks in Maui. I rented an 09 SG from Maui HD on Front Street in Lahaina. Great riding once you get out of the town. Pretty reasonable if you are a HOG member.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:30 AM
YT
Cruiser
Smile Oahu riding...

Dennis -
+1 for Dukes!! Great Bar, the best breakfast in town, and lunch and dinner is awesome as well!! I was too busy getting married there to ride but if you'd like, I have a very good friend that would gladly give you a tour if you choose to rent there. He rides Heritage Softtail and is a Navy Chief. Great guy - PM if you are interested and I'll contact him... BTW - great looking backrest you got there!!

Old 07-15-2009, 11:44 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

If you make it to the big island they have rental places, riding through the lava fields and up between the volcanoes is great, you'll know why it's called the big island. Have a nice vacation

Old 07-15-2009, 02:04 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

My buddy is here now and he rented a Road King from Kauai Harley. Bike was is nice shape, not a beater and you can pick it up has early has 8am and return at 5pm for a full day rental. We did a nice 150 mile ride and got some Huli Huli Chicken at road side cafe lol. Also HOG members get a discount and they treated my buddy really well.

Last edited by EricD10563; 07-15-2009 at 02:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Cruise Hawaii - Bike rental - Any input?