General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, I got wet. haha

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Squishy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, I got wet. haha

So a couple weeks ago I was starting up my Durango and the old lady says "hey, your truck smells like maple syrup". I immediately $hit a brick and go flying behind the truck to see what she's smelling. Sure enough, I see a small puff of white smoke and it has that ever so famous sweet smell of anti-freeze. Long story short the dealer is replacing my motor for free. So I thought to myself, well, I have the Harley so no worries. Well, I've been freaking out since I got my bike about riding in the rain. I was looking at some MC's web pages (1%ers) a few days ago and they talked about riding no matter what. I thought to myself bull$hit, that's what cars are for. Well, today I'm heading out to grab some lunch and I see this big black cloud. Now, all day yesterday it looked like it was going to rain and it never did, so I missed out on riding. I thought to myself, it didn't rain yesterday so why would it today. So I start heading out. I get a couple miles from the house and it starts sprinkling, no big deal, I can handle this. Then it starts raining for real. Now I wear a half helmet so this stuff is drilling me in the face, but for whatever reason it didn't even bother me. I actually kind of liked the feeling. Sure the roads were a little bit slick, but other than that it didn't bother me a lick. The best part was I passed a 1%er, in the heavier part of the rain, that I've waived at numerous times with no response but today he had a half smirk on his face and waived back. Felt pretty damn good. All this time I've been worrying about nothing. Seriously, I've been on a high since I got back. The mood buster was when the dealership called telling me that my truck is done. It's like I'm happy to have it back, but I don't want to go back to driving it every day. I honestly think I'm even more hooked than I was before. I'll never go back to not owning a motorcycle.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:30 PM
doggiedave
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Houston,Tx and if you live here and have a boat, a ragtop, or a motorsycle, your going to get rained on or your never going to get to ride around here. Just have to be careful riding in the rain.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:30 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy some good rain gear and go play in the rain. I do it and the way people think about rain and motorcycles is funny to me. I ride year round and every day. My GF is all way trying to put me in a car. Not today.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

See you didn't melt.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:02 PM
mes
Tourer

up here in the Great Northwest if you don't ride in the rain you might not ride

Old 07-02-2009, 03:22 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I got wet. haha - So now you're calling yourself squishy. Damn dude how wet did you get?

The more you do it, the less you will think about it. Won't be long it will become second nature.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:39 PM
norgepa
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey squishy for those big pelting rains I have a leather bandana. It stops the sting.
I noticed that you are from Dayton. Is the Pine Club still open? I am an X NCR'r- SugarCamp days...Moraine Farms.....Wright Patterson.......Late night runs to White Castle. OH almost forgot. The Oregon District...Wine --Women -Women - Wine

Old 07-02-2009, 04:19 PM
tgarrett1
Cruiser

Riding in the rain never botherd me to much.
The last real rain ride was 250mi worth of rain with just rain pants and leather jacket boota were wet for a week...

Old 07-02-2009, 04:41 PM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by norgepa
Hey squishy for those big pelting rains I have a leather bandana. It stops the sting.
I noticed that you are from Dayton. Is the Pine Club still open? I am an X NCR'r- SugarCamp days...Moraine Farms.....Wright Patterson.......Late night runs to White Castle. OH almost forgot. The Oregon District...Wine --Women -Women - Wine
I'm not Squishy, but the Pine Club is still going strong and not taking resorvation or credit cards.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:43 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It used to not bother me. But a few years ago I got caught out in the mother of all rain storms. I even had this industrial thick yellow rainsuit. I put it on and continued on. Let me tell you, as fast as I could I found some shelter. And when I did, I ripped that rain jacket off and started looking at my arms! They felt like someone had been shooting me with a BB gun.

Since then, I try not to ride in the rain! Plus, it really makes bikes dirty, in very hard to reach places.

Quick Reply: Well, I got wet. haha