General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Syn 3 vs amsoil vs reg hd oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 02:19 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One good ride per oil change

Attached Thumbnails Syn 3 vs amsoil vs reg hd oil-p4022793.jpg   Syn 3 vs amsoil vs reg hd oil-p3262361.jpg   Syn 3 vs amsoil vs reg hd oil-p3262472.jpg  
Old 07-01-2009, 03:30 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 69z28
You say a new engine,I don't think I'd break one in on synthetic of any kind.Maybe use dino for the first 500 mi then make your decision.
All of the 110 cube engines installed on the Screamin Eagle bikes come with synthetic oil for the break in, and I aint had no problems with my engine.

Run what you want, besides no one hear is going to own up to telling you to use a specific product when you are replacing your engine due to failure and you are trying to get them to help.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:56 PM
JBourquin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cadman311
dino oil

Motor oil derived from traditional hydrocarbon/crude-oil sources (decomposed dinosaurs and plant matter). Also often referred to as "mineral" based oil. This in in contrast to the new synthetic lubricants which have to be "manufactured" from various chemicals rather then just simply boiled off from a crude-oil source. Synthetics are seens as superior to dino oil since the manufacturing process is more controlled and may not require the polymer additives to achieve the same desirable lubricating properties. Synthetics are also more expensive then dino oil.
Where did you cut and paste that from? You can barely speak english in any other threads.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:05 PM
rockDAWG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JBourquin
Where did you cut and paste that from? You can barely speak english in any other threads.
Ouch.....
Note to self: Proofread my chit before hitting the SEND key.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:18 PM
JBourquin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rockDAWG
Ouch.....
Note to self: Proofread my chit before hitting the SEND key.
Go to this thread and you'll see what I mean.https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...-this-bad.html
this guy claims to ride like a million miles a year and says everyone else is a "poser"

Old 07-01-2009, 04:33 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweetbaboo
SYN3 was a bad experience for me. I had put it in all 3 holes, at the 1000 mile service, in my 07 Springer Classic. Immediately the engine got noisy, like a big sewing machine, on the top end. The tranny shifted with a big clunk like never before. Now, in my 09 Electra Glide Classic, I run regular HD 360 oil in the engine, HD Formula in the Primary, and Redline with Shockproof in the Tranny. I don't really experience the high heat here in Central Wisconsin that many of you do so I like running the less expensive regular HD oil which really quiets my engine down, and I don't mind changing it every 2,500 miles as it gives me another excuse to go down to the shop and tell the boys everything I know. Redline in the tranny is fantastic; shifts really smooth, greatly reduced clunk, and super easy to find neutral. It's very doubtful that I'll ever switch to a synthetic oil unless someone can really proof to me that, other than reduced engine heat, there are enough substantial benefits over HD 360 to justify the much higher price. As far as engine heat is concerned, I noticed a nice drop when I had the dealer do the Stage 1 download. In the unlikely event that I did switch to synthetic oil it would be Redline; I,m convinced that Redline is a better product than Mobil, and I don't care for AMSOIL's advertising tactics. SYN3 will never come near any of my bikes again.
Man that Victory Vision does look like Boso,I wonder if Arlen was having some sort of flash back.Sorry for getting off track.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Sweetbaboo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHoss
Man that Victory Vision does look like Boso,I wonder if Arlen was having some sort of flash back.Sorry for getting off track.
This is after Bozo put SYN3 in it.

Attachment 54523

Hey elkdeerman, congratulations on starting an oil thread. Don't listen to these guys, they're not real bikers; they're are a bunch of old guys sitting in their nursing home dayrooms popping hydrocodone, shotgunning prune juice, and eating pizza with maple syrup on it. Just read and obey my post and you'll be fine.

Last edited by Sweetbaboo; 09-17-2009 at 05:35 PM.