General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydration Packs for H-D Jackets

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 08:19 AM
midlife rider
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hydration Packs for H-D Jackets

Heading out to Phoenix for a 5 day ride through AZ, UT, CO, and NM. Anyone ever use the hydration packs for H-D mesh jackets? Any other tips for not baking out there? Thanks!

Old 07-01-2009, 02:28 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by midlife rider
Heading out to Phoenix for a 5 day ride through AZ, UT, CO, and NM. Anyone ever use the hydration packs for H-D mesh jackets? Any other tips for not baking out there? Thanks!
I'm riding to Milwaukee in about two days...just bought a second Camelbak hydration pack - 100 ounces this time. I'll also be taking my 70 ounce Camelbak with me on the trip. Being hyrdrated keeps me alert and not sleepy feeling.

If it is hot, I'll also be dumping water on my head, t-shirt and jeans (at least the front part facing the wind) for my A/C. I'll be wearing a helmet and perforated mesh jacket to keep the sun off of me and allow the air to cool my wet clothing.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:07 PM
midlife rider
Tourer

Thanks Hawk, but I was referring to the inserts that H-D sells for their mesh jackets. It looks like they are supposed to be soaked in water then placed in the jacket liner. I guess as the water evaporates it is supposed to create a cooling effect. Just wondering if anybody has ever tried them. Thanks again.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:39 PM
SinCityHOG
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

H-D also makes a vest that does the same but seems to have more coverage. I've never used them, but I do soak tee shirts for the 100+ short rides and it works good to keep cool. The Camelback is not a bad idea either.. stay hydrated

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...bmLocale=en_US

Old 07-01-2009, 04:48 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like you'll be riding in the higher elevations of those states, so it won't be too bad. In the desert we usually stop every 80 -100 miles for gas and something to drink. We also spend about 20 minutes off the bike at these stops and that seems to help also.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:52 AM
Dustball
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, and they're junk. Buddy of mine has the Harley vest and the packets last about 15 cycles before they begin to loose their function. There are several quality cool vests makers out there that sell good ones for under $50 that work SIGNIFICANTLY better than the crap H-D is selling. Check out http://www.ridecool.com or http://store.mm411.com/catalog/index...&parent_id=294, or do a search on cool vests. One of these under a mesh jacket do the job for me when temps get to the 100-120 range. Don't forget to drink water at every stop and in between if you can.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:36 AM
midlife rider
Tourer

Thanks Dustball

Old 07-02-2009, 09:56 AM
justjohn
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well now, if you use a non HD pack it will void your bike warranty and the it will stop at the next nearest stealer it comes close to and will not start until you go inside and buy a HD one.

Just a warning

Old 07-02-2009, 10:28 AM
Tripped1
Tourer

Originally Posted by midlife rider
Wear perforated leather if you have it and make sure your shirt stays wet under it. Half of the fun is insulating yourself from the sun. Running anywhere to or from Pheonix I carry at least a liter of water and drink a gatorade every time I stop.

Stay safe.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Shark46
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dustball
Yes, and they're junk. Buddy of mine has the Harley vest and the packets last about 15 cycles before they begin to loose their function. There are several quality cool vests makers out there that sell good ones for under $50 that work SIGNIFICANTLY better than the crap H-D is selling. Check out http://www.ridecool.com or http://store.mm411.com/catalog/index...&parent_id=294, or do a search on cool vests. One of these under a mesh jacket do the job for me when temps get to the 100-120 range. Don't forget to drink water at every stop and in between if you can.
I would agree, I have the HD mesh jacket with the pouches and they did not last one summer. I am kind of cheap, so I use http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/pr...ge.asp?mi=3471 and at only $22 the price is right! They work great, but look ugly. But if it is under a mesh jacket no one see's it! I also take a trash bag along to put it in when I am not wearing it to keep it hydrated. Also freeze a few water bottles and throw them into your bags.

Quick Reply: Hydration Packs for H-D Jackets