Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Trip!! Help me plan.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Late Bloomer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road Trip!! Help me plan.....

July 20th I will be heading out for parts unknown, at least unknown to me. Unfortunately, I will not be taking the scooter, but I will be pulling my pop-up trailer. For better or worse I am out of work and after 6 months of looking have all but given up finding a job.
So I am treating this like retirement and taking off. I will be going to the Adirondack Mountains NY, Vermont, New Hampsire, Maine, New Brunswick, and Nove Scotia.
That part of the world is all new to me so I need your help! I have very little interest in seeing the big cities. The more secluded the better. I will be traveling alone so the only person I need to please is me. Interested in fishing, seeing the country, and just plain old relaxing.
Please feel free to include places that you have heard about not just visited. Also ,if there are places to avoid that would be a big help.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 130 Posts

Sorry to hear about your early retirement --- earlier than you wanted it to be, anyway. If you want scenery & seclusion, the Adirondacks is a great place. If you want work, the Adirondacks is the wrong place ---- upstate NY was depressed even when the economy was good. If you wanna get up there as quick as you can, and then take it easy after you get there, take 81 all the way up to Watertown NY & then head east on 3 toward Lake Placid. You can stop every few miles & put a line in the water up there. Lots of places for camping also. There are ferries in different places, that go across Lake Champlain. Stay north & although I haven't spent alot of time there, I liked northern VT, NH, & ME. Good luck to you, but have fun also.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:29 AM
captain m
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Myself and 3 others are headed for the Adirondacks on July 17,our route is Rte 7 north from Pownal Vt to 30 west in Manchester Vt. to New York Thruway at Lake George,North to the exit for the Keene Valley out to Potsdam NY,then East acrossed the top of NY into VT and on to New hampshire,the Kancamangas highway,on into MT desert island(Maine),then back to VT. You may be able to take the ferry to Nova Scotia,they say it's quite an experience,the thing flies!!!! I wish I could give you the route numbers,but I'm sure you can find them.Good luck,safe trip.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:20 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In NY I would check out the Lake George, Lake Placid area. Very beautiful area.

In Maine ride up the coast and check out some of the small towns and Bar Harbor to the north. Also a very beautiful area.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

I took a trip when laid off and should have taken twice the time I did.

Take your time and enjoy the world we be here when you get back.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by captain m
Myself and 3 others are headed for the Adirondacks on July 17,our route is Rte 7 north from Pownal Vt to 30 west in Manchester Vt. to New York Thruway at Lake George,North to the exit for the Keene Valley out to Potsdam NY,then East acrossed the top of NY into VT and on to New hampshire,the Kancamangas highway,on into MT desert island(Maine),then back to VT. You may be able to take the ferry to Nova Scotia,they say it's quite an experience,the thing flies!!!! I wish I could give you the route numbers,but I'm sure you can find them.Good luck,safe trip.
When you head back east (on 37?), stop at Eisenhower Locke near Massena NY. You might see some big ships going through. It's pretty cool if you haven't seen it before.