General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BrightAssLights

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:17 AM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cocoaroadking
I purchased one of thier taillights from the local HD dealer. After a simple install, turned lights on and WOW. They are the Brightest tail light I have ever seen. The light comes with instructions and a warning to not stare directly at the lights up close as it will cause eye damage. That is how bright this light is. Trust me, the first day I drove to work in the early morning, all the cars that usually run up on you all were backing way off. It was kind of funny to watch actually. The light has three different brightness setting for running mode. It also has 23 different flash modes when the brake is applied, some of them are same as used on police bikes. might want to save them for the toy run or parades!! The best 200 bucks I have spent in a while!!! Almost forgot to mention, great warranty service, the one i bought had a small chip in the lens, called them and left message. They called the next day with the closet HD dealer info, had a new lights waiting for me. No questions asked!
The hubby was talking about putting them on our bikes. We were at the dealership last night and they had one on display. I saw it from the front of the store to the end of the store. Yeah it is bright and I really like the light show that it puts on when you step on the brake. Kinda like a strobe light, reminds me of my youth in the 60's. Good $hit!!!.
We will be putting these on the bikes as soon as we can. Have to come up with the ging for two bikes. May put it on the hubbys Dyna Wide Glide first as his tail lights are not as visable as the ones on my Heritage Classic.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:18 AM
reefrider
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I installed a BAL-3 (smoked laydown) last week. Definitely bright- a$$! Pricey but If it keeps me safer on the road then money well spent.
RR

Old 07-01-2009, 07:51 AM
RDM
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While $200 seems a high for the BAL taillight consider this:

You can purchase the following items from Custom Dynamics (purely an example. I've used them in the past and they are very good to work with and their products work very well)

Red Squareback Window (or without window, same price)
120 Red Dual Intensity Genesis II LEDs, 3 White License Plate Illumination LEDs
Price: $149.95
(This is ready to go or you can purchase the 136 led board that you can use to modify your existing lens. It it $124.99 and you have to do the lens modification. From my past experience, go with the ready made setup.)

To make it flash sort of like the BAL you'll need a Brake Light Signal Module for $35. It won't have the three different run light levels and it won't have all the flash patterns the BAL has but it will be funtionally similar. Also note this interesting piece of information about the module - Easy Installation. Simply install the BackOFF-XP™ Module in line with the brake light wire leading to the brake light and connect a ground wire. That means you have to wire it in. Not plug and play folks.

So you'll be somewhere around $185 for the setup from Custom Dynamics and it won't have all the funtionality the BAL has and it won't be totally plug and play. The BAL has a 5 year warranty, at least that's what my paperwork says and the one from CD has unlimited on the led part and one year limited on the light module.

I have the BAL on one bike and the setup from CD on another. If the BAL had been available when I bought the parts from CD the BAL would have been on both bikes.

I don't work for either company and don't care which way you go. The point of all this is that the complete out of the box BAL is only about $15 more than you could piece one together for. If you consider the extra functionality of the BAL, the price difference is a wash. At least that's MHO.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:20 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't know,only 7% accidents from the rear,I have the running,brake light ,turn signal deal on my bike,200.00 that's alot of money. The other day in the pouring rain had all lights on in the front of my eg,eight all together,folks were still cutting me off,some just don't give a darn.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by lionsm13
LED tail light with a back off modulator works for me.
I just wanna be seen.
Was rear ended once at a red light and it wasn't fun.
I have the same setup. HD LED Tail light with the BACKOFF Tail light modulator. Turn/Brake signals wired in to the BACKOFF as well.
I have the Modulator set to flash 5 times quickly then burn steady as long as brakes are applied. The HD LED Tail Light seems 200% brighter than the stock was. So in running mode..from behind all three lights, red lenses,,,are lit. All 3 flash five times,,then burn steady. I notice the cages behind me seems to keep their distance more now since the install. If I'm seen,,PERHAPS they won't hit me...

Old 07-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Evil Stepdad
Road Captain

I love mine, and it is definitely MUCH brighter than stock, even at the lowest setting. Install took about 3 minutes.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:20 PM
lonesome wex
Cruiser

what'sthe brand name? duh

Old 07-01-2009, 10:49 PM
aeronautic1
Cruiser
Cool Bal1

I was cruising up thru Juno Beach last week and saw a bike with this light a half mile ahead. I was impressed, to say the least.

I just bought mine on eBay from Stoney Hill HD for $189.99. Had an 8% off coupon from eBay. With shipping and 7% FL sales tax, the total came to $193.27. I saved $15.20 with the discount.

SHHD called me and said that the one I bought had been sold on the floor and they would be happy to refund the full amount or I could wait until the next shipment came in, in a couple of days. They said that there is a price increase ($199.99) and they would ship it when it came in for the previous price. It did and it has.

SHHD was excellent in the comms department and a pleasure to work with. I will be installing it tomorrow.

More to follow

Old 07-01-2009, 11:01 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,184 Likes on 1,825 Posts

I won't receive my Radiantz LED tail light for a few days, so I have no idea how bright it is, but I am running a clear lens with an LED bulb that is much brighter than stock. I also have the run-stop-turn module on my bike, along with Radiantz Led turn signals and the LED fender tip array from Radiantz. The back of my bike is very bright, especially at night. My friends will NOT ride behind me at night because the back of my bike is so bright.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:02 AM
CC's roadking
Cruiser

we need the pics here

Quick Reply: BrightAssLights