General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RX Glasses w/ transitions- trivex or polycarbonate?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 03:14 PM
staplek
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX Glasses w/ transitions- trivex or polycarbonate?

I've been trying to narrow down which riding glasses w/ removable eyecup i will purchase. I've tried on the wiley x airrage and found it fit well. In speaking with various online retailers i have noticed they all offer different lenses, tints, etc but most dont seem to offer anything that is available. In other words, they have certain equipment or outsources that do a specific lens and tint.

anyway- i'm looking at the airrage w/ rx transition and am getting hung up on the polycarbonate vs. trivex. trivex supposedly gets darker but i cant find anyone that does the wiley x with trivex. 7eye does but i havent tried them on and dont want to order blind.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:42 PM
tlmitchell
Cruiser

Originally Posted by staplek
I've been trying to narrow down which riding glasses w/ removable eyecup i will purchase. I've tried on the wiley x airrage and found it fit well. In speaking with various online retailers i have noticed they all offer different lenses, tints, etc but most dont seem to offer anything that is available. In other words, they have certain equipment or outsources that do a specific lens and tint.

anyway- i'm looking at the airrage w/ rx transition and am getting hung up on the polycarbonate vs. trivex. trivex supposedly gets darker but i cant find anyone that does the wiley x with trivex. 7eye does but i havent tried them on and dont want to order blind.
Don't know if it's offered in the type of glasses you're looking at but Corning has a glass lens called Thin n Dark, extremely lightweight tempered glass that changes quicker and gets darker than any changeable lens I've ever used. I used to wear contacts so I could continue to wear Ray Ban G15 lenses but these get almost as dark. Add in the fact that the progressive lense allows me to see near and far and there's not much reason for me to wear anything else. YMMV.

TL

Old 06-30-2009, 12:20 AM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

This is a very interesting topic to me. I have a high rx (-5 sphere) and most of these places won't help me in any sort of wrap frame, or they won't guarantee it.

I do know a vendor who puts Trivex in Wiley-X, as a matter of fact they suggested it as an option: http://www.heavyglare.com

They use digital surfacing for a more uniform cut on the lenses, overcoming problems other vendors/processes have w/ higher rx sripts in wrap lenses. They said they'd guarantee my scrip in Wiley-X Blinks for example, which I tried on at a local shop, and know they fit.

My local eye doc who doesn't have wrap frames that fit my head, recommended another type of lens, but I've been going back and forth on the two...

Drivewear Lenses http://www.drivewearlens.com/home.php?flashchange=8
I contacted these people and had them send a sample to my eye doctor, they are polarized transition lenses in polycarbonate. They do not claim to be able to ride at night in them, although some of the testimonials on their site from users claim they do ride at night w/ them. They get as dark as my regular sunglasses that are polarized. Not as dark as the darkest gray lenses, but dark for polarized lenses, which to me don't have to be as dark because they reduce eye fatigue and make things sharper. Some don't like polarized lenses because they're afraid they might miss a sign of danger, like a slick spot, if the glare is removed too much by the polarization process, but I personally have not had that problem.

To me, the benefit of the Drivewear is the polarized (although some may disagree), AND that their process activates the darkening process even when behind a windshield, but the concern to me is how well I could see at night in them, which they technically don't recommend.

Trivex - http://corporateportal.ppg.com/NA/ch...dSunlenses/EN/

Specifically NXT lenses made of Trivex, they offer various kinds of lenses, a medium to dark gray variable, and a 'Day-Night' lens which is amber at room light or night, and a gray lens in sun.

To me, the benefit of the NXT Trivex, in DAY-NIGHT lenses would be no question about riding at night, but questionable darkness in day time. I also contacted the Trivex/XT people at that link and requested a sample, and they did send me one. I don't think they get as dark as the drivewears and they're not polarized, and like mos transition lenses are not activated behind a windshield... BUT as far as the darkness thing goes, I've had some second thoughts about how dark I want them to be. A lot of people complain about transitions not being dark enough, which I could see as a problem in certain conditions like full bright sun in the desert, beach, or open highway riding, but I've recently done a lot of country road riding, and mountain riding, that caused me to be in and out of trees a lot, going between sun and dark shade, or even through tunnels, and I think at these times, I'd rather have a more moderate shading of the lens, and/or polarized lenses.

So, I'm still stuck between the two lenses, but in my case, if I have to go through heavyglare, they charge a lot less for NXT-Trivex, so that makes me lean that direction.

Other companies I've tried include: Anysunglasses.com, sportrx.com, rx-safety.com, opticsplanet.net, eyelenses4u.com, and several local places....

Heavyglare gave me the most confidence they could do my prescription, I think Sport RX had a much better price on the drivewear, but Trivex never came up in conversation coz I didn't know about it, but they weren't too confident they could do my scrip in any of the frames I could try on locally, like the Wiley-X Blink or any other model.

If you still want to try on 7eye, search their site for a dealer, or ask em, the same local HD dealer that sold Wiley X models, also sold 7eye, so I tried on some of each, but I've seen more capability for higher scrips in the Xs vs the 7eyes, YMMV...

Let us know how it turns out for you. If you want the trivex, I'd contact them like I did for a sample to see the shades...

Old 06-30-2009, 12:27 AM
karz10
Road Master

Originally Posted by tlmitchell
Don't know if it's offered in the type of glasses you're looking at but Corning has a glass lens called Thin n Dark, extremely lightweight tempered glass that changes quicker and gets darker than any changeable lens I've ever used. I used to wear contacts so I could continue to wear Ray Ban G15 lenses but these get almost as dark. Add in the fact that the progressive lense allows me to see near and far and there's not much reason for me to wear anything else. YMMV.

TL
It's glass? Is it ANSI rated for safety like polcycarb or trivex is to be shaterproof, etc.? Any info on it, or dealers that sell wrap frames w/ it?

Old 06-30-2009, 07:01 AM
staplek
Intermediate

Karz,

thanks for the awesome reply! Although I've read about them, I hadn't really considered the drivewear frames. I dont really see myself using these in a car. I never thought about how polarized lenses might negatively affect my riding.

As for trivex, although they might not get as dark as the drivewear or non-transitional tints, i was under the assumption that the trivex lenses will tint darker than polycarbonate as it accepts tint better during processing. I think im gonna give this a whirl. i'll let you know in a few weeks

Old 06-30-2009, 08:32 AM
oldmanwayne
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I recently received my Wiley Airrage with prescription drivewear lens. Have had them about a month. Work good in both low light and bright light. In low light they are still dark appearing but the amber color seems to sharpen your viewing area. My only problem is that they are polarized and I do get the rainbow effect behind my modular helmet shield. It was kind of freaky to start but I've gotten used to it. If you don't ride with a shield you will be fine. I also found a slight loss of depth perception when you first start wearing the glasses but again seems to get better with time. I bought thru sportrx.com - great service and good pricing.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:21 AM
karz10
Road Master

Originally Posted by staplek
Karz,

thanks for the awesome reply! Although I've read about them, I hadn't really considered the drivewear frames. I dont really see myself using these in a car. I never thought about how polarized lenses might negatively affect my riding.

As for trivex, although they might not get as dark as the drivewear or non-transitional tints, i was under the assumption that the trivex lenses will tint darker than polycarbonate as it accepts tint better during processing. I think im gonna give this a whirl. i'll let you know in a few weeks
Well, unless you're in a real hurry, like I said, the people at the NXT/Trivex link I sent, will send you a sample if you ask. I only got a sample for the DAY NIGHT lens, but there is another transition lens on that page, which is already tinted gray, but gets darker in full sun, etc.

Let us know how it turns out.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:31 AM
wolfman 66
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Try adseyewear.com they have trivex in most prescription len. They use to have a try before you buy option. dont see it on the site now. goo to deal with

Old 07-01-2009, 10:37 AM
staplek
Intermediate

also- i'm concerned about distortions given the wrap around lens. my rx is mild- my sphere is -1.0 & cylinder is -.75 to -1.0 (i really dont even know what this actually means). i brought up digital surfacing and the optician agreed but how do i know if this is necessary? it's obviously more expensive

Old 07-01-2009, 11:32 AM
BurgundyUltra06
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldmanwayne
I bought thru sportrx.com - great service and good pricing.
oldmanwayne, Thanks for the recommendation to sportrx.com. My eye doctor want a bucket full of $$ to get some rx lenses for my Wiley X's...I think I'll go this route...All the best,

Quick Reply: RX Glasses w/ transitions- trivex or polycarbonate?