General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learned a new trick yesterday...for an air filter leaking oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:16 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts
Default Learned a new trick yesterday...for an air filter leaking oil

Silicone your breather bolts and your back plate to keep oil from dripping out of your air filter. I don't really have this problem, but for those who do, try it out. No, don't silicone the center of the bolt, but around the edges. Silicone the back plate on the bottom where the filter makes contact too. I prefer to keep my oil a tad bit lower, but it seemed to work for this gent.

Cheers, you know who you are.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:38 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,352 Likes on 2,532 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyGoodies
Silicone the back plate on the bottom where the filter makes contact too. I prefer to keep my oil a tad bit lower, but it seemed to work for this gent.
when i bought my k&n filter, it came with a tube of filter grease to use where the filter contacts the backing plate.

i too, have never had this problem. but i also keep my oil around the midpoint mark.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:20 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only time I have had a misting problem is when I have rode hard, fast and awhile. I have over oiled the K&N filter and caused carryover oil to drip out of my K&N. Silicone seems like an easy fix but if misting and carryover is a problem. There are several ways to solve the problem. I will not lower the oil level in my oil tanks to stop this problem. Oil is part of the cooling system on my HD's not to mention lubing. If anything I wish my oil tanks were larger with built in finning to dissipate more heat without altering the clean simple lines or adding bulk . I didn't want to mention brands but here it is. Doherty makes a good valve system. S&S has a venting system. There are other ideas on the market. Just my opinion, others can do whatever they want with their bikes.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:26 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor

You can always drill your back plate and add an additional filter with hoses and such too.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:35 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen that done and I have seen the vent bolts vented to a screen filter at the bottom of the bike. Your solution isn't a bad idea and I actually use a silicone grease to seal my bolts at the filter but the idea of lowering oil level just bothers me. I keep everything I own full of oil but not too full.
Originally Posted by HarleyGoodies
You can always drill your back plate and add an additional filter with hoses and such too.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:36 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor

Like I said, no problem's here, but I thought some others might give this a try.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:09 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

just because it isn't up to the top hatch mark does not mean that the oil level is low. there is a range and if it is between the top and bottom, then the oil level is okay. keep it a little below the top hatch mark and it allows for expansion without any problems.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:59 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

What/where exactly did you silicone?

Old 06-30-2009, 05:55 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

going by your illustration, you would put some silicone on the threads of the #10 bolts (being careful not to get it into the hollow core of the bolt), and along the seal on the backside of the filter itself so that it makes a good seal against the backing plate.

but most people don't have any problems with the stock setup, usually after they switch to a hi-flow filter (like the se). but basically seal it in the same spot.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:57 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor

Also the person who told me about this put some silicon on the edge of his air filter #7 on the bottom rear portion where the oil would drip out of the filter. He had an after makret setup of course.

Quick Reply: Learned a new trick yesterday...for an air filter leaking oil