General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

becoming a motorcycle mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 06:35 PM
freebyrd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default becoming a motorcycle mechanic

welll i have spent most of my work a day life doing jobs and working for someone else in crummy job's i hated just because the pay was pretty good.

now someone once said find something you love to do and then figure out a way to get paid for it and you'll never work another day in your life

so i figure i got another 30 usable years as a worker left in me and i have been wrenching all my life on both motorcycles and cars, cars i hate to do there's just so much crap under the hood of today's cars and you nearly always rack your knuckles on something

motorcycles on the other hand have every major component within easy reach and are a pleasure to work on

so i guess my question to you guys is where should i start to get my accreditation as a certified motorcycle mechanic?

i have seen those online schools that provide lessons from home and online
they are a little more reasonable as far as cost goes
but they don't seem like they could provide the kind of instruction a hands on school could offer
however they are usually in Florida or Wisconsin or something that would require a lot of student loan and grant money to keep me there for as long as the courses require
anyway what do you guys think? whats the best way to go about this?
freebyrd

Old 06-27-2009, 06:45 PM
rockDAWG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how old you are, but a formal education is always better if you like school. A career that uses your brain always gets ahead faster than a career uses the hands. Try to develop your critical thinking skills, you will set for life. Good luck.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:51 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I went to MMI in Phoenix back in the late 80's. It wasn't cheap but getting a job was almost automatic when I finished.
People can say what they want but it gave us the basics from which too build on and as far as I know it's about the only way for someone just getting into the business to get the coveted H-D PHD certification.

I stopped working on them for a living for a couple of reasons.

The first being that I couldn't go anyplace around the area I lived in without someone coming up and wanting advice on fixing something on their bike. Although it was a good way to get free drinks at the local scooter bars.

The second is, I was spending so much time working on other people's that I got to the point that when I was home I didn't want to work on my own.

Though not as important too me, there was a 3rd reason. That was that back then there just wasn't much $$$ in being a wrench and working for someone else. Going out on my own would have required a very large outlay of cash that I just didn't have at the time.

I could probably do it now but it's been so long since I seriously worked on bikes that I'd be lost trying to figure out the new stuff and would do more harm than good.

Whatever you decide to do...Good luck with it.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:53 PM
freebyrd
Road Master

44 years young rockdawg and i get what your saying about using your head instead of your hands
but its what i've always done
freebyrd

The following users liked this post:
fltrxcrzy (11-26-2023)
Old 06-27-2009, 06:58 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

There still isn't much money to be made as a bike wrench - at least, not working for someone else.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:37 PM
rockDAWG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

44 years, it means that you have at least 24 or so years of working experience under your belt. Using those experiences, to your advantage.

1. Identify your own strengths, list them out.
2. Identify your passions, list them out.
3. Looking opportunity and niche that you can use No 1 and 2
4. Start doing homework, and work on the concept and proof of concept.
5. Modify your plans and don't give up.
6. Nothing is easy but persistent and hard work will always pay.
7. Trust me, it is not hard to get ahead. Money is everywhere, you just need to learn how to pick it up efficiently.

Remember, always think and evaluate and ask tough questions. It pays to reinvent yourself. All the best.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:19 AM
frogg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rockDAWG
I don't know how old you are, but a formal education is always better if you like school. A career that uses your brain always gets ahead faster than a career uses the hands. Try to develop your critical thinking skills, you will set for life. Good luck.
Ya sound like my ol'man did when I was young.
He now admits he was full of Crap.
Your turn.

And just because you use your hands to make a living,
means you don't use your brain or thinking skills?

So to you a Man's success is equal to the amount of money he makes.
What a crock!!!
Rant over.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:40 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Not a 100% correct,there are a lot of jobs still available,that pay very well,and not required to have any degrees.You pay your dues,earn your way, learn as you go,become a skilled worker and there are great rewards.Never forget this world was built with blood sweat and tears,not pencils and pens.A formal education can only help.Good Luck

Old 06-28-2009, 05:13 AM
rydermike
Road Warrior

Buy a couple old shovelheads .... not only are they really cheap right now, but they will certainly make a bike mechanic out of anyone ..... gotta be kickstart only!!! Upside is guys that CAN do classic bike maint & repair , can prolly start thier own shop much easier than one catering to newer bikes ..... newest shovels were in 84/85 depending on model and YES there were 85 shovels , mostly police or export. Upside is no computers , hell electronic ignition was new in 1978!!!

Old 06-28-2009, 07:11 AM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member

For the record, I have no problem with rockDAWG's post. None of it is disrespectful or demeaning. In fact, it's sound advice. However...

This kind of thinking and the attitudes that go with it are what really suck. I have way more respect for people who actually "do something" than any educated idiot sitting behind a desk. I cannot debate the accuracy of the statement above. I do question the "I went to college, I sit behind a desk, deserve more money, and that makes me better than you" mentality of our society.

Quick Reply: becoming a motorcycle mechanic