General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

becoming a motorcycle mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 10:23 PM
Rick's Ultra
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

A friend that I was in the Navy with went to work at a Harley dealer. When he first started he told me he was "living the dream". After a few years I noticed something had changed. When we finally got a chance to talk about it, i found out his dream had turned into a nightmare. Got to the point he didn't want to ride anymore. A lot of it he said was due to overbearing or, whining customers, managerial preferences on bikes to be worked, and the loss of normal weekends. He had to be at the dealership on Saturday and Sunday, his weekend was Monday and Tuesday. This particular dealer is closed on Mondays. In the end, he gave his notice and went to work for an aerospace company in the Phoenix area. Only had one chance to talk to him since he left the area, but he sounded like he was getting back to normal. He said he is starting to get out and ride once again.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:38 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by rockDAWG
I don't know how old you are, but a formal education is always better if you like school. A career that uses your brain always gets ahead faster than a career uses the hands. Try to develop your critical thinking skills, you will set for life. Good luck.
Not picking on your statment rockDAWG but ive had a wrench in my hand sinse I could pick one up and its the only thing I ever want to do other that teach old school wrenching. Becoming a skilled wrench takes using your head but its your hands get it done. A good mechanic will never have to worry about finding work. If the OP's passion is bike wrenching than go for it! Like others have said if you love what you do than you will never have to work a day in your life. OP just be patient and eventualy you will earn respect and gain knowledge. Nevermind go work in a cubical for 6 figures in a crappy city the rest of your life always looking back!

Old 11-14-2011, 10:59 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

Step #1: Leave Fresno. Sorry, but the difference in pay between The Valley and the Bay Area, L.A. or Dago makes staying in The Valley a decision that has to go way beyond money.

Step #2: If you've been pulling wrenches on cars it won't be much of a transition to bikes. You are correct that some things get easier like no Air Conditioning or Power Steering, but if you're looking to get away from the electronics you probably need to consider another trade. Even farm equipment down to 75 Hp as of Jan 1, 2012 and down to 25 Hp Jan 1, 2013 get some serious electronics systems. The electronics on the bikes right now is equal to cars of 1996 to the present day. Ex: Fuel Injection, Electronic Ignition, ABS, etc. Frankly, if you want to make money at this, get good at the electronics 'cause the rest of the non-electronics Luddite type folks twisting wrenches, are the equivalent of hamburger flippers. As easily replaced and paid accordingly . . . sorry to say . . . but it's true.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 11-14-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:14 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,536 Posts

IronAss nailed it. I have worked as a motorcycle mechanic back in the day when you didn't need to be certified,and at the end of the day, the last thing I wanted was to even LOOK at my bike. I was always fixing friend's bikes for free (just like I do their pest control now) and from what I hear, the money still sucks.

It was a lot of fun to play music until I started getting paid to do it!

Old 11-14-2011, 11:17 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

If a guy started slow out of his garage on the side he can make a hell of a run at it. Build up some capitol then pay cash for more equipment, next thing you know you're on your way.

Originally Posted by IronAss
I went to MMI in Phoenix back in the late 80's.
I went to PIT in the late 80's, what a bad decision...

Originally Posted by slowenwobbly
Sometimes, if you turn something you love into a job, you don't love it quite so much, anymore.

Just something to consider.
I was lucky enough to realize this while I was still in school. I worked at Montgomery Wards at the Thomas Mall in Phoenix busting tires while attending PIT. One day at work as I was sweating my *** off I noticed our service writer sitting in the A/C ordering parts, I have been in a "parts" role since the fall of 87. I currently manage an industrial hose outfit and still enjoy wrenching for a hobby.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:33 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
IronAss nailed it. I have worked as a motorcycle mechanic back in the day when you didn't need to be certified,and at the end of the day, the last thing I wanted was to even LOOK at my bike. I was always fixing friend's bikes for free (just like I do their pest control now) and from what I hear, the money still sucks.

It was a lot of fun to play music until I started getting paid to do it!
Arnt you glad your not a gynecologist! Probably take all the fun out of it! But yes i agree Ironass did nail it.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:57 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You want to be a bike mechanic. Well you can start by paying and going to school or you can apply for a job at a bike shop and work your way up from the bottom. Real world experience. What sucks is your gonna start at the bottom and you will have to earn your way up. Knowledge and skills are best learned by doing. I would start at a shop and then decide if you even like it. Then spend the money on school to get some book smarts to go with your wrench smarts

Old 11-15-2011, 04:16 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

LOL if you read these HDF forums much a lot of these guys hate a Harley tech...But I guess they don't always mean what they say...Or say what they mean...I have been wrenching for over 20 years on Harley and it has really changed...I still love what I do...But sometimes I wonder why...Some customers you will never satisfy...Some of the service managers you will work for will be cool some will be absolute ******...You can forget weekends with your family...or just getting lost on your bike...I haven't gotten rich but I am doing OK and have had steady employment all of my life...But I still wake up every morning wanting to go to work and loving it...It pretty much boils down to you either love this kind of work or you end up hating it...If working on bikes is a passion ...Go for it...If you don't have much tolerance to Bull ****...You might want to think about doing something else.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:32 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rockDAWG
I don't know how old you are, but a formal education is always better if you like school. A career that uses your brain always gets ahead faster than a career uses the hands. Try to develop your critical thinking skills, you will set for life. Good luck.
I've got a degree in accounting and one in law and work as a lawyer in civilian life.

Your post is complete bullshit.

If I had it to do over again, without my current bills to pay and such, I'd never waste my time in a college. Unfortunately, it took college sociology and economics classes and a few years experience for me to figure out why that makes sense.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:44 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
I've got a degree in accounting and one in law and work as a lawyer in civilian life.

Your post is complete bullshit.

If I had it to do over again, without my current bills to pay and such, I'd never waste my time in a college. Unfortunately, it took college sociology and economics classes and a few years experience for me to figure out why that makes sense.

I kind of have to agree with you from what I have seen and worked with people that have a degree...I often wonder if that is why large corporations are in the crapper now...Due to the lack of real world common sense in the business world...There are a lot of highly educated people that don't have a clue.

Quick Reply: becoming a motorcycle mechanic