General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie rider nervous question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006 | 07:32 PM
NEONNIGHT34609
|
Road Captain
Default newbie rider nervous question

i got my new street bob wensday and only have about 50 miles on it so far . when does the nervouseness go away ?? i feel good at slow speeds but at like 50-60 mph i feel like i have to hang on because of wind .. is this just me being nervouse about being a new rider on a new bike ? i took the begginer motorcycle class and that made me feel much better .. but i am still nervouse. traffic does not bother me its just the feel of the wind blowing me around .. i know i am gonna get beat over this because everyone says this is the feeling that is keeping them riding ..

Old 05-19-2006 | 07:34 PM
lapisblue
Tourer
Default RE: newbie rider nervous question

Maybe get a wndshield? It will cut the wind from your upper body.

Old 05-19-2006 | 07:35 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

Just keep pounding on the miles or trade for a glide, wind won't be so bad![sm=icon_guiness.gif]

Old 05-19-2006 | 07:39 PM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member

I think that is just normal.After a few hundred miles it will go away.

I rode a lot back in the sixties and seventies and didn't ride again for many years. At first I didn't really feel as one with the bike like I used to, then one nite I realized the old feeling was back and it's been fine ever since.

Appreciate that nervousness,it'll probably make you more cautious till you really get used to your new bike.

Good Luck to you.

Tom

Old 05-19-2006 | 07:41 PM
vernh59
Road Warrior

You will get used to the wind blowing you around. I'm not sure how long it will take to get used to feeling like you are going to get blown off the bike. (I have a windshield) It takes awhile to get used to being on the road. Like BH said, just keep pounding the miles on and don't worry about it. Enjoy.[&:]

Old 05-19-2006 | 07:43 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Dude: Slow down & take your time. Learn all the nuances of your new bike. Worry about being safe & forget the wind. I wear a 3/4 helmet with the clear flip up faceshield which keeps the wind out of my eyes. Stay away from Semi-trucks as much as possible until you get used to it..........you will. I don't have a winshield......never have and have ridden over 50,000 miles in my life which by the standards on this forum aint alot. The wind gets uncomfortable above 80mph for me if it's a gusty day or when I'm on a 2 lane road going 70 and an oncoming semi rolls past at 70...that is quite the windy blast. So, relax and "hang on". In a few months you'll be blowing past me on the freeway.

Old 05-19-2006 | 07:46 PM
dadofsix
Outstanding HDF Member

Practice Practice Practice the skills you learned in the safety course!

Also, listen to your comfort zone. Do not try to grow too fast. Everyone has a different learning curve -- what's right for me is not going to be right for you. If riding at highway speeds makes you tense, don't do it yet. Get comfortable at lower speeds, then move up to highway speeds. Never take curves faster than you are comfortable with or follow someone who is not a true teacher - someone who is aware of, and comfortable with, your initial limitations and makes allowances for them. Always listen to that little voice called common sense. The good Lord has blessed us with it for a reason.

Before you know it, you will be riding with the best of us. HAVE FUN.

Old 05-19-2006 | 07:49 PM
NEONNIGHT34609
|
Road Captain

thanks guys . i was hoping i did not make a mistake i new it would take a little to get use to i just need to get out on it for the weekend and have fun here is a pic of the bike and me .. dont mind the pants or work boots as u can see for the backround i am a mechanic

[IMG]local://upfiles/12141/BC71A772B1E546E48D59B32023CDF616.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12141/F3AF1941B0DD49268FCBBC44B51B8023.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-19-2006 | 07:55 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

It takes a LOT of getting used to...........just ride safe!!

Old 05-19-2006 | 08:02 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned

ORIGINAL: NEONNIGHT34609

i got my new street bob wensday and only have about 50 miles on it so far . when does the nervouseness go away ?? i feel good at slow speeds but at like 50-60 mph i feel like i have to hang on because of wind .. is this just me being nervouse about being a new rider on a new bike ? i took the begginer motorcycle class and that made me feel much better .. but i am still nervouse. traffic does not bother me its just the feel of the wind blowing me around .. i know i am gonna get beat over this because everyone says this is the feeling that is keeping them riding ..
You'll get used to it.just take your time,get used to the bike.The more you ride, the more the nervousness goes away.Just go at YOUR own pace,no one elses

Quick Reply: newbie rider nervous question