General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie rider nervous question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006 | 02:36 AM
05Dynachic
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: newbie rider nervous question

I can only repeat what everyone is saying. I rode for years and its been awhile since. My rides are sporatic ......... BUT...... and I can't emphasize this enough! Ride at your own pace. Its one thing when you are taking a class and they pretty much KNOW what you are thinking about your speed ... they know when you should crank it up. And they are right. But when you are riding with someone and they want you to go faster, nuh uh, maintain your pace! Do what keeps your heart pumping right. There is enough out there to get your attention right now, like riding correctly and getting your machine down. My better half says I ride to slow for his taste. I tell him he rides to fast for my skill level. End of story. You hafta be safe first.

I'll be quite honest, I have never lost my healthy fear of the ride. The minute you start feeling too comfy on the love of your life is the day something could go wrong. Learned this from some pro racers ...... makes you a better rider. While they know their machines really well, love to ride, and enjoy it emmensely, they still respect and fear it.

Have ridden across CA twice. Not much by any means ..... but learned on rocky roads, dirt, and in rain. Lived on top of a mountain, and that required twisty roads!! Did it all at my own speed. My ex and I traveled across CA and it was the first time I had ever been in REAL traffic on I-5[sm=insomnia.gif], through Rough and Ready (those turns made the ones at home seem straight), then we camped and I learned all about sand! For everything he wasn't ..... he was one hell of a good teacher! Some unspoken number of years later I'm learning all over again. Once I get it down, I'm gonna see how slow I can go before the feet need to come down!! That's my own personal challenge. Just take your time .........

Old 05-26-2006 | 06:30 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

One word. Muscle. Yeah, it takes a while for you to build up the riding muscles you need. You don't always sit that way, arms out, legs out. Without muscle in the right places, it's going to feel like you will fall off. Work up to it slowly. You'll get there soon enough. Don't be too over anxious. Figure you'll be riding a hog for a long time. May need some AB work. Shouldn't need the bars to hold you on the bike. Some people say it helps to grip the tank with your knees. So, that weird uncomfoprtable feeling is normal. It's not about being afraid of riding, so much as it is not feeling right on the bike just yet. Take it slow, get used to it, and you will become a stronger and better rider.

Old 05-26-2006 | 10:38 AM
Jular2
Road Captain

I only have been riding since September 2005--was feeling pretty good--The Independant Skills Team out of Peterson's Harley Davidson in Miami headed up by Vinny Margotta taught me how to ride--for my 70th Birthday I took a road trip. Covered 12 states, 3921 miles--Did an Iron Butt 1000, Iron Butt 1500 and conquered The Dragon, alone and at night. The butterfl;ues do go away. Keep riding.

Old 05-26-2006 | 11:53 AM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member

It will go away after your 500 mile service. Just remember the first month of ride your bike is break in period a lot of people drop their bike or get in a accident. Just always ride within your capabilities.

Old 06-02-2006 | 02:08 PM
jbrewer
Intermediate

for me it is after about six beers.

Old 06-02-2006 | 03:09 PM
Hitecrednek
Intermediate

I find it helps to pinch the tank with my knees and have a bit looser grip on the bar; part of the problem is that you are acting as a sail in cross-winds, and when the wind hits you, you move the bike.....anyhow, works for me, for what its worth.

(I tried a V-Strom for a while, now that thing was a sail compared to a harley)

Old 06-02-2006 | 05:13 PM
MARCUSBEAR
Outstanding HDF Member

this is a great post , I am in the situation as u only been riding since jan '06 , u definitly get use to the speed , just ordered a memphis shade windshield , my wide glide has the mini apes like the street bob , i am 6' 5" so i act likea giant sail , i try to bend foward at the waist to cut into the wind seems to help a little , the windshield is help alot , thanks again for this post it has been a great help to me also Name:  ShowLetter.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  28.1 KB

Old 06-02-2006 | 05:17 PM
mayday
Cruiser

I personally think that being a bit nervous is ok....helps me stay aware. Its not a "I feel like I'm going to fly off this thing" nervous....just that there's a lot going on around me so stay sharp.

Old 06-02-2006 | 07:11 PM
kaduku
Road Captain

Yes, alot of good advise here, but I think the fear is because of all that wind shaking you all around. I also have a Street Bob, and it's because of those mini apes, your arms straight into the air, making your body like a parachute. Anything over 65 to 70 right! I've riden for many years, but never with a bike with apes (even mini ones), but I freaked out when I first rode my Bob on the freeway, I felt like I was going to blow off the damn bike. It was just my position. Believe me you may not get used to it, just get a windshield, even those small ones like WindVest or Sportech will make a huge difference. Take it from another Bob owner, who felt just like you man!

Old 06-03-2006 | 03:29 AM
bronk
Road Master

Yep.Exact same feeling as you.At 65 I felt like I was going to blow right off my Superglide.AFter 3 more trips on the highway I got much more used to it.Before I left home to come back to Iraq I went on a ride and was totally comfortable with 65-70 mph.Got 450 miles on her before I left

Quick Reply: newbie rider nervous question