General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie rider nervous question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006 | 10:00 AM
morepowr
Tourer
Default RE: newbie rider nervous question

I felt the same way, I picked up my bike about a month ago and haven't rode in 15yrs. I added a windshield and that helped tremendously. I also have been taking my time, take frequent stops until I am completely comfortable on the bike. I go speed limit and let anyone pass that is in a hurry. It is getting better. It is a time on the bike thing i believe so I try to get it out as often as I can, which has been hard with the weather.

Old 05-22-2006 | 12:23 PM
bragz
Advanced

Just keep riding. Im right htere with ya. Bought my first ride a few months ago and did the motorcycle safety course. Im just now getting to the point where I can hit the highway for a good 30 mile run or so. Im sticking to the roads with low traffic for now. Im thinking in a few more months I'll be ready for my first real run. Dont wanna rush things. Safety first. I got a family to provide for.

Old 05-22-2006 | 01:03 PM
Screamer
Road Captain

Time and miles. It will go away.

Old 05-22-2006 | 02:26 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Riders Club Member

Don't mean to be redundant, but I would like to add two points that may not have been mentioned.

First, don't just ride, READ. There are dozens of books out there that contain information that could help you save your life. Two of the best: Street Strategies: A Survival Guide for Motorcyclists, and one of the all-time classics, Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well. Both are by David L. Hough, and can be found on Amazon.com. I've been riding more or less continuously for over 45 years, and I STILL pull the books out every once in a while to refresh myself on what I've forgotten about riding technique.

These books contain information that will help you turn your riding time into an art, as well as a sport.

The second point: Some days you just shouldn't ride. Recognize when you're having one of those days and act on it. For whatever reason, there are days when you get on the bike and within a block of your house you KNOW you're just a split-second behind. Your stops are sloppy; you're taking curves too wide; you're just not FEELING it. When that happens, it's no big deal. Just head back to the barn and find something else to do that day. And don't worry, it happens to everyone, at every level of experience.

Hope this adds a bit to the wealth of knowledge displayed in this thread.

Philip

Old 05-22-2006 | 02:55 PM
05UltraClassic
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Philip

Don't mean to be redundant, but I would like to add two points that may not have been mentioned.

First, don't just ride, READ. There are dozens of books out there that contain information that could help you save your life. Two of the best: Street Strategies: A Survival Guide for Motorcyclists, and one of the all-time classics, Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well. Both are by David L. Hough, and can be found on Amazon.com. I've been riding more or less continuously for over 45 years, and I STILL pull the books out every once in a while to refresh myself on what I've forgotten about riding technique.

These books contain information that will help you turn your riding time into an art, as well as a sport.

The second point: Some days you just shouldn't ride. Recognize when you're having one of those days and act on it. For whatever reason, there are days when you get on the bike and within a block of your house you KNOW you're just a split-second behind. Your stops are sloppy; you're taking curves too wide; you're just not FEELING it. When that happens, it's no big deal. Just head back to the barn and find something else to do that day. And don't worry, it happens to everyone, at every level of experience.

Hope this adds a bit to the wealth of knowledge displayed in this thread.

Philip

I like this 2nd point. I think this feeling is ignored by a lot of people, but is very important. If you're off, your riding isn't as crisp as it should be and you're putting yourself in potential danger.

Old 05-22-2006 | 04:09 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member

I too think with some nice easy miles it will go away. You'll just get used to it.
Avoid windy days till you're more confortable, especially on the interstate. You don't want to fight cross winds till your okay with regular winds.

I remember getting my bike, jumping on the interstate and i felt like i was breaking the sound barrier, screaming down the road. Funny thing was folks were passing me, looked down at the speedo and i was doing 60 in a 70 (i hadn't riden in several years). Now, a few thousand miles later i usually sit on 80 with no worries. Even that left to right wash behind trucks doesn't seem to bother me anymore.

Be careful or avoid groups rides till you're really tuned in to riding. Way too much to consider as a new rider (which i still consider myself). So easy to focus on the guy in front of you that you drive straight through a curve or miss stuff in the road. I didn't but it did catch me by surprise and i knew it was a possibility in advance (from reading this web site).

Cheers and have fun. You'll get with it before you know it. I'm sure everyone has these feelings when they start out, some have done it for so long they may have forgotten how scary it can be. Funny thing, i had the same feeling a few weeks back when i rode with someone in their Geo Metro after riding in pickups most of my life. I thought my *** was going to scrape the ground. I feel much safer on my bike than in little cars, see better, sit higher, just what I got used to.

Old 05-22-2006 | 06:53 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member

Its just like sex...be gentle, go slow and wear protection.

Old 05-22-2006 | 10:18 PM
74_ironhead
Elite HDF Member

I rode a street bob at demo days. great riding bike you probably already feel comfortable since this is 3 days after your post if not it will come soon.

Old 05-23-2006 | 12:24 AM
CoolChrome
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Keith_H

I remember getting my bike, jumping on the interstate and i felt like i was breaking the sound barrier, screaming down the road. Funny thing was folks were passing me, looked down at the speedo and i was doing 60 in a 70 (i hadn't riden in several years). Now, a few thousand miles later i usually sit on 80 with no worries. Even that left to right wash behind trucks doesn't seem to bother me anymore.

[sm=exactly.gif]

yea, today i did my second refresh course ( last one before i pick up my Street bob this friday ).

Today we went on the highway for some little practice... (I hadnt riden a bike on highway in 12 years.)

Damn, i had forgotten how strong, noisy and freezing the wind can be !!!! The sound barrier thing was the same feeling i had.

The first curve made me nervous too....i didnt know if i had to downshift or brake before entering that first curve...

After the 1 hour ride, i jumped on the car straight to the dealer and bought that face shield you put on helmet. Hopefully, i will be able to ride without a shield again....

Its funny cuz when i was young, i was able to ride a bike on highway arms wide open (without touching the handlebar)...i guess it will come back...

Old 05-23-2006 | 02:10 AM
route2null0
Road Master

1/2 a bottle of jack daniels usually calms my nerves down quite a bit.

Quick Reply: newbie rider nervous question