General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie rider nervous question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006 | 03:59 PM
Katie
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: newbie rider nervous question

I agree with the windshield, & won't be without one now. Being pressured to keep up, when others are going-gone, Sux! However there is still that concern that a car will suddenly pass you, if there is too big a gap between you & the next rider.

I'd say I was still a fairly new rider, & there is always that bit of a fearful jolt when I first leave my yard... it centers me to where I AM though... & I don't think one can have the same attitude on a bike, as they do in a car.

You look good on that bike! I hope you are at home on it before too long

Old 05-21-2006 | 01:32 AM
SilverDawg
Road Captain

I went through the same feelings as you did. I have been riding for about a year, and I was very nervouse for the first few months. I was scared sh****** when I first went out on a freeway. Like anything else, you just need to gain experience and seat time and you will do fine. Don't ever lose your respect for what the bike can and cannot do. Practice your braking as often as you can (I do it in the high school football stadium parking lot..its already mapped out for the MSF course).

As for the wind, I rode about 50 miles today without the shield on my Heritage Classic. I have to say it makes me appreciate the windshield a he** of a lot. No way would I want to do any serious distance without my trusty windshield. I wore a half helmet and couldn't hear diddly. Wind buffeting and the need to hold on took some of the joy out of it for me. But some thrive on that feeling and that is great. I prefer the comfort of the windshield. I'll take it off for short hops around town, but for speed and distance, its always going to be a part of the ride.

Good luck and rack up some miles. I would say what you are going through is very normal.

Old 05-21-2006 | 03:02 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

First, I respect you for having the ***** to to post this. That says a lot about how well you're going to do. I know you said you didn't like the look of a windshield and I can understand that, BUT, you have to do yourself a favor and get one. Make sure it's quick detach. It will change your riding appreciation in my opinion. Moving down the highway at 80 without a windshield is fun for a short period of time. If I were going farther than 50 miles, the windsheild would go on. You can always pop it off when you get to your destination for your jaunts around town. I know some folks who are new to riding, don't have a windshield and have never ridden with one. They are usually pretty bummed after a hard ride in the wind. For a lot of us...wind buffetting and getting tossed around just isn't an idea of fun. I ride because it's fun and it's my number one passion (with clothes on), and I want it to be a nice solid as smooth as possible of an experience.

Get a windshield. You will not believe the difference. There will be no going back.

Old 05-21-2006 | 06:09 PM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

when I ride with friends and there is a new /nervous rider who wants to start joining in on the group rides to gain some more experience,one or two of us will ride with this person see how they handle their bike and what their level of experience is,and pass this info along to the other's doing the group ride ,as a rule we'll let that person lead the ride and set the pace to their comfort level,those who have a problem with that in the group have the chance to ride ahead with meeting places along the route we plan for the day. we as a group make sure there is no pressure on the newer riders to keep up,and fill the holes in the group so we dont have any cars getting into the group and splitting us up.I'm sure others do it differently,but this has worked out well for the group of friends i ride with.
I started riding back in the late 70's logged alot of miles back then,got stupid one day doing something i shouldn't have been doing ,and nearly paid for it with my life.Took about the last 15 years away from the bikes,and last june i bought my first harley, I was a nervous wreak the day i picked it up at the dealer,never had such a big heavy bike,nor one that cost so much either.took me a few weekends to settle into the new bike,hang in there and enjoy the bike. Experience comes with time,no need to rush it along it will come in time all by itself .abit nervous does give you a edge because you'll be very aware of whats going on around you. Ride Safe !

Old 05-21-2006 | 08:08 PM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member

You got some great advice here and I respect you for posting this topic - I have a ton of miles and a ton of years spent riding but still feel like a new rider a lot of the time - Don't get me wrong I feel confident but I think it's drilled into our heads as kids how "dangerous" and it gets the blood flowing and the heart pumping - I think it is natural but you have to ride within your limits - If you do that I know you will be just fine - oH and get a windshield

Old 05-22-2006 | 02:25 AM
thumper 29
Outstanding HDF Member

The wind, like a cross wind, semi truck blowing you all over will catch you off guard no matter how long
you ride. The difference is your confidence.
I have been riding down here in Texas before and get onto an open road with the wind blowing across
so badly that I was actually leaning and thought the tires would just blow right out from under me.
You just need time in the saddle and follow the advise of all here (everyone has some great words of
wisdom) and that is because they have experience that you'll have given time.
The biggest thing I can tell you is like others have said, never let anyone goad you into riding out of your
comfort zone. You bought that bike to enjoy, and you just enjoy it on your terms!
If you get to riding with some people that make you feel you should ride out of your zone, ride alone,
or find others that suit you to ride with!

Old 05-22-2006 | 03:08 AM
Bull Shoals
Cruiser

All of the above!!

YOUR COMFORT ZONE!!, ONLY!!

Old 05-22-2006 | 09:25 AM
rrlavigne
Cruiser

Everyone here had wonderful advice ... listen to it all.

One thing I didn't notice anyone mention (maybe they did) is the Street Bob comes with APE HANGER bars. These bars look awesome but one drawback is they extend your arms UP and turn you into a human parachute. You are hanging on tight because you have too ... you're catching a lot of wind. And a windshield would do WONDERS for you but may take away from the look you like. On the other hand you could replace the bars with lower bars that don't cause you to parachute quite as much. And of course the other thing you could do is simply learn to live with it ... at your own pace of course. When you have ape hanger bars fighting the wind is part of the deal ... kind of the price you pay for the cool look.

Best advice here is simply to ride at your own pace and build up confidence and experience. But if the wind is too much for you a windshield or lower bars will fix the problem for you. Again ... with those bars you're catching all the wind, it has nothing to do with experience, it's the nature of the beast.

Be safe friend and try not to stress ... enjoy!

Old 05-22-2006 | 09:29 AM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member

It will come with time. Learn to relax and enjoy.

Old 05-22-2006 | 09:35 AM
NYfatboy
Novice

My story is similar to others, I am back riding after 18 years, 1st harley, always wanted one but couldn't afford.
I've put about 700 miles on the bike so far, mostly highway, weekend rides to the beach here on Long Island, NY.
I still get nervous and its ony now that I am beginning to feel like old times. I do not speed like I did 20 years ago, cruisin' and enjoying the scenery, a natural progression as you get older.

I have an '04 fatboy and its about the right size for me. Will probably get a small windshield at some point, lots of wind by the beach so I just slow down, its no problem.

Glenn

Quick Reply: newbie rider nervous question