General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie rider nervous question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006 | 04:02 AM
kytown2
Advanced
Default RE: newbie rider nervous question

Everyone gave excellent advise to you.

I will add just one personal feeling. I think a little bit of fear is good. Maybe it's not really fear but "respect". Every time I get on my bike I respect the dangers around me. There are a lot of crazy cagers out there and I am afraid the day I lose that healthy "respect" I will be in trouble.

Keep on riding. The windshield helps a lot. Once you go 60 mph 50 will not seem so bad and once you go 70 then 60 will not feel so bad. You will get use to it!

Good luck and have fun!

Old 05-20-2006 | 04:07 AM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member

The advice here is great I would add that also I feel every time I get on the bike there is a bit of fear/respect. Always everytime you right make sure your head is on stright. If I am too tired or in wrong mood I will not even think of riding. Just my .02 worth

Old 05-20-2006 | 05:56 AM
ROLLNTIGER
Outstanding HDF Member

You want to hear about nervous! I just bought my glide after not riding in a year. I bought it from a guy on the North side of Houston, I live on the south side. If you have never been to Houston we are talking about a 45 to 50 mile trip. I picked it up at 6:30 in the evening and rode it home 50 miles in rush hour traffic on I-45, talk about white knuckle trip. What a way to get back in the saddle!

As far as your nervousness, if it's the wind that is the problem get a small shield. The confidence will come with experience.

Old 05-20-2006 | 06:14 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member

I got my RK custom about a month or so ago and have driven about 1k mi and I felt the same way when I took off the windsheild. Now, however, I am comfortable at 80mph. Just take it slow.

Old 05-20-2006 | 06:16 AM
Finalcut
Road Warrior

GET A WINDSHIELD!
GET A WINDSHIELD!
GET A WINDSHIELD!

You will be so glad that you did!

Also - I agree that a certain degree of fear / respect is good - as long as it does not cause you to hesitate.

It took me weeks to get used to going 55mph and more. Now, I'll just be cruzing down the road, and when I look at the speedo I notice that I'm doing 80mph or a little better. I then slow down - I don't want a ticket. I feel fine at 65mph or 70mph. That's a comfortable speed.

Old 05-20-2006 | 07:32 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

Slow down! Just because you go "that fast" in your car doesn't mean you have to go that fast on your bike. Kick back and relax. Smell the roses and get a windshield..

Old 05-20-2006 | 07:43 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member

My first bike was a 2003 fatboy, Started out like you did, with the new riders course.

Rode around town, short errends, and joy riding for about a month before I ever hit the freeway. By then I was comfortable with all the controls, I knew what the bike would and wouldn't do, and my reactions to situations that are so different then in a car.

Now its 3 year later, I ride the freeway 50 miles each way to work, and have traded the fatboy for a Glide. No regrets. I didn't do any group rides that first year, and my wife did not ride on the back for most of that first year. I was too busy learning and becoming comfortable with the riding experience.

Take your time, don't rush it, it will come to you naturally with experience. Concentrate on the safety aspects, learn to wattch and anticapate what the cagers will do, and be prepared for whatever they could do.

Old 05-20-2006 | 09:43 AM
carsoni
Tourer

I consider myself a new rider. with that comes a constant awareness of your surroundings, a hightened awareness if you will. I don't look at it as nervousness, but caution. I used to wonder as you seem to, when will this feeling go away, well, I hope it never does. I think if you become too relaxed you can make mistakes. After all, riding a motorcycle in today's traffic is inherently dangerous. You are vulnerable to all the elements, especially cell phone using mini-van driving drivers with everthing on their minds except looking out for a motorcycle. I suggest lots of single riding practice. Get the ride like a pro series, find an empty parking lot on a Sunday morning and practice all the slow speed drills. These drills will help you with all the little things like pulling up to a gas pump, manuevering in a parking lot etc. Oh yeah, don't forget we ride these things because they are just plain fun. The more you ride, the better you will get. As as the wind bothering you goes, make sure you have a good fitting helmet. Hope this helps[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 05-20-2006 | 11:47 AM
NEONNIGHT34609
|
Road Captain

thanks for all the great info . i am gonna stick it out and hope i get the feel of it without a windsheild because i really dont like the looks of then .

Old 05-20-2006 | 01:06 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Don't worry about being nervous. Your used to riding in a cage, no wind, no fun.

Think about the dogs that hang their heads out the window. Pretty soon you will want that wind in your face. As you start to learn the response of your ride, you will start to really enjoy the freedom of riding a motorcycle.

Welcome to the world of a Harley.

Quick Reply: newbie rider nervous question