General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie rider nervous question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006 | 08:25 PM
CoolChrome
Cruiser
Default RE: newbie rider nervous question

Here my noob experience.

After i completed the noob courses and did the exams, i bought my first bike. (that was 15 years ago)

I was like you very nervous on my first bike, so nervous i didnt like it at all .
The first hour on my first bike i was just riding around the house, no traffic.
Then i started with the traffic light, stops and everything... damn i remember being so nervous i wanted to go home

It took me about good month to get a good hang of that bike. It was only a 250cc

But don't worry, after a month practicing speed changing, breaking, turning, using flashers. everything will become natural.!!! trust me !!
I then switched to a Suzuki Intruder 800cc and i had no problem adapting at all. Everything was still natural...atleast in the city.

The next step however will take another month: I'm talking about long highway ride, raising your left hand at 70 mph, those thing will require few more weeks.

Once you can do that, you are ready for advance courses.. Advance courses are to perfect your skills. You should take them only if your fully confident with your bike. They will teach you how to turn very tight...so tight you can almost touch the ground with your exhaust... How to carry passenger safely and be as good as you were solo.

The more you ride the better you become.

I highly suggest you ride with a group of people after about a month practicing solo around your house. Just make sure, changing speeds, turning, stopping isnt a problem before taking the highway.

Just becareful not to slack down. in about 2 months or 3 you will become so good that you may do crazy stuff. This is where you can fully test your maturity.

Isold my bike about 10 years ago, and recently came back with a new Street Bob... which i still havent picked up btw. I expect to be nervous too. But because im cautious, i took a refresh course with a private teacher. 6 hours on the road...but im still nervous.

I expect riding motorcycle to be different now than 10 years ago. Car drivers didnt have Cellphone attached to their ear back then... im confident i will addapt though..

Old 05-19-2006 | 08:26 PM
GADave
Road Master

I think it's different for everyone... how long it takes the nervousness to go away. Recently got back on a bike after 9 years lay-off, previously had tons-o-hours in the seat/saddle. I was still a little nervous for the first 50-100 miles until I really felt like it was old hat & wasn't worried about pulling into a busy parking lot at the dealer and lookin' like a fool.

If I hadn't had so much previous experience, God only knows how long it would take.

I'd suggest you get comfortable with your bike with practice at not-so-busy times/places. Then start to worry about the traffic... that's where the real danger lies, in the cagers, especially of the female variety with cell-phones glued to their ears. Problem is none of them have glass belly buttons and their heads are in such a position that only a glass belly button would enable them to see what they're doing

Enjoy your new bike!

Dave from Georgia
2004 FLSTCI

Old 05-19-2006 | 08:50 PM
TampaJim
Road Master

Get a full face or 3/4 helmet with a face guard. Will keep the wind off your face and help you feel more in control.

Find some country roads with no traffic and ride unitll you start to feel confident. May take awhile, take your time.

Go out early on Sunday morning (7 am) when there is no traffic to practice street skills.

DO NOT get involved in any group rides for awhile. There is just too much distraction and you will be tempted to try to keep up with more skilled riders..

Always take a cell phone when you ride. That way you'll never need it.

Old 05-19-2006 | 09:05 PM
Bluerose

I still consider myself a newbie...been riding for almost a year after not riding for 20. Just now starting to feel more like I'm "one" with the bike. Maybe it's because I'm not a daily rider.

Did a long 70 mph stretch in the dessert on a freeway with alot of trucks and hated it...but made it OK. No side roads I could take where I was at. Haven't done a massive amount of freeway driving and I find it takes some getting used too. Especially in CA where they like to grade wiggly lines into the concrete.

Since I've only had my new ride for about 3 weeks I'm still getting the feel of her. I ride with either a full face or a 3/4 with face shield and a windshield to block the wind. I only did about 60 miles without the windshield and had the same feeling (like I was having to hang on)

BTW...also stay out of the wake of those @#*& Hummers... thier box shape at high speed makes a lot of turbulance. Had one jump in front of me on the freeway the other day and I was getting blown all over the place. Couldn't seem to back off enough so I finally changed lanes.

Enjoy your new scoot!

Old 05-19-2006 | 09:42 PM
Slide
Advanced

Tampa Jim hit on a major point I hope you didn't miss.
Ride alone unless you have a competent mentor as a riding buddy. Don't let anyone pressure you out of your comfort zone, or do it to yourself for that matter.
Take your time and be safe. Comfort will come in degrees and absolute comfort is a dangerous place.

Old 05-19-2006 | 09:52 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: Slide
Ride alone unless you have a competent mentor as a riding buddy. Don't let anyone pressure you out of your comfort zone, or do it to yourself for that matter.
Take your time and be safe. Comfort will come in degrees and absolute comfort is a dangerous place.
I third that....I ride with my hubby who has been very patient but has a lot more experience then me.
Lately he figures I need to step it up a bit (thinks bigger bike must make me more experienced).

Anyway he takes off on a windy road expecting me to keep up.
I just took my time and figured I'd meet him at the end, In the long run he slowed up for me but I wasn't going to let even him push me down the road faster then I was ready to go.

Old 05-20-2006 | 01:22 AM
Trash Rat
Road Captain

Bluerose, We have those wiggly lines in the roads here in Nebraska too. Really makes a sporty feel squirrely, with their skinny front tires.

Old 05-20-2006 | 01:32 AM
mndemohead
Tourer

Just keep puting on the miles at YOUR pace. Eventually one day you will be riding and realize the vervous feeling is gone. Someday your gonna be glad you went through the stage. I know I have gotten TOO Comfortable from time to time and its seems something always happens to scare the crap out of me and bring me a back to the nervous side a little more. Just be carefull and have fun.

Old 05-20-2006 | 01:46 AM
kjriv
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Slide

yep....[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 05-20-2006 | 02:47 AM
iwant1
Tourer

Something else; When you are nervous you get really tense. So when riding concsously relax your hand grip, your arms and shoulders and you legs. It's not until you do this that you see how tense you have been. You'll enjoy your riding a lot more once you do. Make sure you are riding with good motorcycle posture (i.e. slightly slouched, not bolt upright, elbows down slighlty).

Take in the sights and sounds and enjoy.

Quick Reply: newbie rider nervous question