General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nearly got ran over yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 09:11 AM
tgshoe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nearly got ran over yesterday

I was riding to work, as I do whenever possible, when I pulled in to the parking lot I saw a buddy of mine driving his truck across the parking lot. I am driving on my side of the lane and so was he, I figure he was messing with me until I got close enough to see he was not looking at me. I figure he did not see me and swerve to miss him and then he noticed me and his eyes got big. Another friend was following me on his bike and said "holy **** what was that"? The guy in the truck came over and apologized I told him if he no longer wished to be friends just say so as I may be worthless but didnt require killing and informed him it was a good thing one of us was paying attention. I told everyone at work and he was harrased all day. People asking him why he hated motorcycle riders. Kinda funny story that could have turned out badly. He felt so bad he invited me to his house for beer after work, so I guess it turned out ok.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:14 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hmmm........sounds like he might have been texting instead of watching the road. Texting has become a hundred times worse than drunk drivers as the biggest threat on the road.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or reading email on his BlackBerry, finding his favorite group on his iPod, cleaning up a spilled drink...The list goes on.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:24 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,950 Likes on 1,934 Posts

People in cars are oblivious to bikers regardless. I watch people that are not even texting or talking on the phone and they have trouble staying in their lanes nowadays. It seems that maybe 10 years ago this would be considered weaving or look like they are driving drunk, but now it is just accepted. It really gets me. I am glad I have loud pipes at least.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:28 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by petemac
Hmmm........sounds like he might have been texting instead of watching the road. Texting has become a hundred times worse than drunk drivers as the biggest threat on the road.
+1 on drivers not paying attention to the business at hand...DRIVING

Old 06-26-2009, 11:33 AM
DMSC
Road Master

Originally Posted by HarleyGoodies
People in cars are oblivious to bikers regardless. I watch people that are not even texting or talking on the phone and they have trouble staying in their lanes nowadays. It seems that maybe 10 years ago this would be considered weaving or look like they are driving drunk, but now it is just accepted. It really gets me. I am glad I have loud pipes at least.
That's an unfortunate FACT!

I had a guy in a Toyota Van change lanes on me, pinching between his van and the concrete center median. This, after he had been riding beside me for about a half mile. No signal...no look over his shoulder...NOT doing anything but driving. Luckily, I was able to slow down enough so I was able to clear him.

Oh, and yes, I let loose with a profanity laced tirade that made my now passed, former Navy father blush!

Old 06-26-2009, 11:51 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad you made it. I almost got killed last night around 10pm by some grandmother not looking before turning lanes with no blinker. I was in a murderous rage after slamming the breaks and slidding sideways to miss her vehicle, that i stopped outside her SUV and if she didn't have her grandaughter with her well then she would have had a severly damaged side of the SUV. I figured I would tramatize the kid, so I taught the kid a new curseword that I hope she repeats over and over.

Oh and I managed to stay upright on the sideways slide. Props to me

Old 06-26-2009, 01:02 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

getting killed by a friend is so much better..

Old 06-26-2009, 04:23 PM
stixman_576
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always find it completely necessary to cuss out some dipsh!t that's talkin on the phone, or texting, or just plain driving like an idiot.

My favorite is to pull up next to them at the very next stop and tack up the motor right next to their window. It really pisses em off. Then when you've really got their attention, you screem "GET OFF THE FKN PHONE!!!!"

Guess I'm just an a$$ like that.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:48 PM
bandit31
Cruiser

Good defensive driving is the key when sharing the road with idiots.

Quick Reply: Nearly got ran over yesterday