General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in the Heat

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 08:54 AM
rinja64
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

We just picked up a mesh jacket from Harley. I never thought putting on a jacket would keep me cool. They sell these packets that are gel and you soak them for a few minutes.
Then, one goes inside a pocket, inside the jacket just below your neck, between the shoulder blades. Two more inside on your chest and one lower back. Works like a swap cooler.
Worked real well for my wife and I.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:13 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,330 Likes on 1,712 Posts

I have a Tour Master mesh jacket that's been sittin' in a closet for over a year and a half...put it on and went for a ride yesterday and it did help except when sittin' at those long red light intersections. It also kept the sun's direct rays off my arms from gettin' real hot.

I've been tryin' to stay off the bike from 2-5pm when the temps are at the worst.

It's supposed to get to 100+ degrees again today with the heat index at 104-107....I might wear it again today.

It did help a little...

Old 06-27-2009, 09:41 AM
cajunrph
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

I keep out of the super hot times also. As far as the guy in Ohio, ******* us about summer. I'll take the heat of summer over the danger of ice in winter any day. We can go out and not have to worry about black ice on the road killing us.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:04 AM
preacherx
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cajunrph
I keep out of the super hot times also. As far as the guy in Ohio, ******* us about summer. I'll take the heat of summer over the danger of ice in winter any day. We can go out and not have to worry about black ice on the road killing us.
thats why most sane midwesterners have thier bikes garaged between Oct/nov till about mar depending on the typical weather.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:31 PM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got back last Saturday on a round trip run from eastern OK to Tucson, AZ. Biggest temp variance was Day Five. Left Alpine, AZ with the temps in the lower 40's. By the time I hit Clifton, it was nearing 100. Was definitely in the 100 degree range from Clifton to Tucson.

The large temp variance caught me unprepared. (I had a hydration vest packed, but leaving Alpine, didn't need it... then it was too late once out in the desert and no place to soak it for a while.)

What saved my butt were things I learned when dirt riding in hot weather:

* Have as much skin covered as practical: I used a white, long sleeve T-shirt. I also broke out a bandana and wore it to keep the hot air from wind-burning my nose/face/neck.

* Keep the ol' cranium cool at any cost: Thus I would use the recycled water bottles I had stashed in my saddle bags to soak the inside of my half-helmet, and soak the doo rag I wear under it.

* I would also soak the bandana with water when stopped. This was good for a short time, but it ALL helps in high-heat.

Riding in such heat as above was not exactly "comfortable", but the above made it do-able and bearable.

Dealing with the heat was better than Day Eight: Left Vaughn, NM in upper 50's with rain. Rained off and on (mostly on) into western OK!

Old 06-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Brianc9876
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like Harleys new line of Cold Steel mesh jackets. Picked one up, its really nice and well built, plus has armor in the arms shoulders and the upper back and lower arms are leather. Have the cool packs to put in em but haven't tried that yet. But i do soak and lightly freeze a bandanna and putting over my neck to cool off the all important coroed artery. However, I am guilty of wear only the tshirt and jeans quite often.