General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in the Heat

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 10:37 AM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

have ridden to and from sturgis for last two years

07 ultra - lowers still on (and we all know how hot that bike is)

this is what i where :

full face (modular), but i leave the shield up
sunglasses

vented leather wrist length gloves

wool socks (something like smart wool)
boots

a 'under armor' type t-shirt
mesh jacket

shorts (like gym shorts with wicking capabilities)
mesh overpants

then i take an oversized bandana (23" x 23" from duluth traders) load it with ice from end to end across the middle, and tie it around my neck. (i have also tried those crystal polymer things, but like this better). as i ride the ice melts and draws the heat away as well as cooling the back of the neck, one of those areas that help keep you and your brain cool.

i drink plenty of water - approximately 3 quarts from gas fill up to gas fill up.

i have been fine in 105 degrees.

this has worked going out to sturgis, but the humidity has not been that high. however, i do think that even with high humidity, it would still work cause of the cool tempurature on the back of the neck.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:55 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,330 Likes on 1,712 Posts

I'm gonna have to try the mesh jacket...it's been over 100* all week so I've had the QD windshield off the bike for a month now, wearin' just a short sleeve cotton white shirt and the heat is rough.....so wearin' a mesh jacket really does feel cooler ??????

Old 06-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Big D Harley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HD or other type mesh jackets work well when you are moving, but get hot at lights and when you stop. The vests with the crystals work well under the jacket until they dry out then you dip them in water and head out again. I have a vest that also has liquid gell that you put in the fridge, will last about 1.5 to 2 hrs then it has to be immersed in cold ice water for an hour or so. Good for short trips to work and back. If you wear a hydration vest without a covering you will not get the cooling benefits. The hot wind blowing on you from riding will disipate any cooling benefits.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:17 PM
rockabillygrl
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Are there any decent looking mesh jackets? All I ever see look too crotchity rockity for me....

Old 06-26-2009, 12:23 PM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Although I am guilty of just throwing on sunblock and riding, here's something to think about regarding long sleeves, mesh jackets etc.

Riding in 100+ degree temps. after dark is actually very comfortable, yet it can be like a blast furnace when the sun is up.

Similar to the temperature change when riding on cool days and going from sun into shade where it cools off noticeably.

The radiant heat from the sun hitting exposed skin causes the body to heat up faster, it makes sense to cover the skin with light clothing.

Last edited by joe.1955; 06-26-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SBRob
I'm gonna have to try the mesh jacket...it's been over 100* all week so I've had the QD windshield off the bike for a month now, wearin' just a short sleeve cotton white shirt and the heat is rough.....so wearin' a mesh jacket really does feel cooler ??????
Yes. I have one and it really does keep you cool. Keeps the sun off and lets the air flow through as soon as you're moving. I like it.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:49 PM
hdstreetglide08
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IF your getting hot you're not going fast enough.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:59 PM
tbrown2
Cruiser

I have and do ride with the Olympia Air Glide Jacket. I have not tried it with the cooling vest under it though. The humiidity has been to high for the phase changing things to work well. I wish I could find the kind we used at the Fire Fighting school at Pearl Harbor. You had to freeze them and they only lasted a couple of hours in the trainer but they were almost to cold to wear until you went into the fire anyway. I have the Magellen long sleeve fishing shirts in several light colors and they work reasonably well at keeping the sun off. I have tried riding with it wet but like several of you posted I really need to wear a coolmax shirt under the long sleeve and keep that wet. I couldn't bring myself to ride naked, it would scare everyone and be to much of a distraction for the wife.

Thanks for the inputs and ideas.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:18 PM
axxeone
Stage III

hey all
new here but have been lurking for awhile..picking up my bike july hopefully..
great thread....
found this site http://www.techniche-intl.com/index.php.
good luck

Old 06-26-2009, 03:14 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I wear a Power Trip Intercooled jacket. It's a combination of mesh and perforated leather. It looks good, and it's got shoulder, elbow, and back armor. If I were blasting down the superslab to Florida in the summer, I'd wear it. The problem is stopping. Then the damn thing gets hot (and I bought it in black, of course).

The reason mesh jackets work is that they keep the sun off of you but still let you get the airflow. Even still, at 100 degrees (really, above 90) you're sweating quite a bit whether you feel it or not. The wind is blowing it off and evaporating it, so you never feel it, but you'll dehydrate really quickly while riding. I need to get one of those handlebar-mounted drink holders, 'cause I'm really bad at stopping for water when I'm out.

Quick Reply: Riding in the Heat