General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another reason some don't wave

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 07:57 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 74,965 Likes on 22,550 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by AZ Rider
I don't wave at any other motorcyclists. Not because I'm not friendly. Not because I don't like other motorcyclists.

Because it's one of those things I just don't get. So they're riding, too. So what? When you're walking do you wave at every pedestrian? When skiing, so you wave at other skiiers? I don't get this whole thing.

I've been riding for years and it's just goofy. HI! Hi, I'm waving...HI! Good fricken grief, who cares, so you're on a bike, too. Gosh, I wish this silly, lame, thing would just go away. Stop waving! Cause you're not getting a wave back!

There, I said it. I said and I'm glad. Stop waving at every cyclist on the road. It's mind numbing. You'll probably never see that guy again anyway. Who cares?

Stop waving back! That will end this foolish, unnecessary, tiring ritual.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahahaha! Look at me, I'm so friendly...oh! There's an other biker...let's wave! HI!!!!! He's riding too, isn't that great?!

Stop and help a biker out on the side of the road. Meet and greet at rallies, the restaurant, bar, parking lot or wherever you're gathered. "Hey, how's it goin? Nice bike, man." You pull up next to a bike, nod your head. It's good, we're riding.

But for the dignity of bikers everywhere, stop the gay assed waving!

Where'd those anti grumpy pills go? I don't care. You're not getting wave from me. What are you, bikers or parade queens on a two wheeled float?

One of the most pointless...gosh, I cringe whenever another motorcyclist approaches..."Here we go again. Another fricken wave from another motorcyclist. Why? I have no friggen clue." *rider waves* "Yea, that's great, nice to see you too, friggin, fraggin, hand waving, putz. Stop waving!" You're encouraging everyone else!

No more to add at this time. Feel free to discuss. You know where I stand. LOL

Where's my meds...

Couldn't have said it better +1.
Just how I feel about that silliness too.
Sometimes I don't even wave to the ones that I know that I see.
After all they saw me and I saw them, that's enough as far as I'm concerned.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:14 AM
Illinois Rider
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to ride when I was younger in my teens and 20's(58 years old now) but stopped when I started a family and a business. My son got a crotch rocket bike last year and it got me to thinking about the good old days so this summer I bought my first Harley(Sportster). Other riders started waving at me on the road and when I can I wave back. I enjoy the acknowledgement from ALL riders and I like to return the acknowledgement when I can. I am neither offended or overjoyed if I get a wave back or not. I guess as a new rider I am enjoying the experience. Maybe some day I will tire of it but for now I will wave. I don't mean to offend those of you that don't like to wave. IF you don't wave back that's ok. I also wear a helmet, others may not. All this stuff(helmets, waving, etc) is personal choice from what I read on these forums. I don't deny anyone their right to whatever they want to do. I say "Let's all just enjoy the ride" while we can. Curt

Old 06-26-2009, 08:23 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SVTNate
Full face helmets don't give you tunnel vision. I doubt that's the reason. He's probably just an *******

Or the guy is so scared to be on that Yamaha that he's afraid to move his head side to side and is himself tunnel visioned.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:25 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OLD 96
I ride to work with a co-worker. He rides a 650 Yamaha V-Twin. He wears a full face helmet. I wear a do-rag. Obviously he values his head more than I do mine. I noticed he does not wave at other cyclists. As I wave at all. The reason is he does not see them. With a full face helmet he has tunnel vision. He can only see what is directly in front of him.(Or maybe he really is an *******). His helmet may save his life someday. Whereas my do-rag will not. That is each of ours choice. When it is time to go that is it. I feel at least I will have experienced the full sensation of riding a motorcycle. A fool I may be. I wave.
I think the full face helmet indicates he is a dork. If not that, the Yammy does. I wave at everybody, too, unless my hands are busy. It happens sometimes.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:11 AM
rockDAWG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigG2009FLHRC
unless my hands are busy. It happens sometimes.
Would you mind take your hand out your pocket, Geezzz!!! We have school buses everywhere; get a girl friend.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:37 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I ride to work everyday too, and very rare wave. The reason... 4 lane divided roads. The center meridian is one of those 3 foot high cement barriers. You're driving in rush hour traffic, cars weaving in and out, I'm looking for the idiot car that's going to swerve into my path and kill me. When I see a bike way over there going through the exact same experience that I am, he doesn't see me either. Sometimes I wave, but they usually don't notice. Sometime I glance over at other bikes and they're in a full wave, in those cases I feel like a real a-hole.

On the open roads, on the highways, I always wave at every bike, even mopeds, sometimes bicycles.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:43 AM
1984Ironhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Maybe when he pulls his helmet over his head..the doorag slips and gives him a Pirate look ?

Old 06-26-2009, 09:45 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't wave at any other motorcyclists. Not because I'm not friendly. Not because I don't like other motorcyclists.

Because it's one of those things I just don't get. So they're riding, too. So what? When you're walking do you wave at every pedestrian? When skiing, so you wave at other skiiers? I don't get this whole thing.

I've been riding for years and it's just goofy. HI! Hi, I'm waving...HI! Good fricken grief, who cares, so you're on a bike, too. Gosh, I wish this silly, lame, thing would just go away. Stop waving! Cause you're not getting a wave back!

There, I said it. I said and I'm glad. Stop waving at every cyclist on the road. It's mind numbing. You'll probably never see that guy again anyway. Who cares?

Stop waving back! That will end this foolish, unnecessary, tiring ritual.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahahaha! Look at me, I'm so friendly...oh! There's an other biker...let's wave! HI!!!!! He's riding too, isn't that great?!

Stop and help a biker out on the side of the road. Meet and greet at rallies, the restaurant, bar, parking lot or wherever you're gathered. "Hey, how's it goin? Nice bike, man." You pull up next to a bike, nod your head. It's good, we're riding.

But for the dignity of bikers everywhere, stop the gay assed waving!

Where'd those anti grumpy pills go? I don't care. You're not getting wave from me. What are you, bikers or parade queens on a two wheeled float?

One of the most pointless...gosh, I cringe whenever another motorcyclist approaches..."Here we go again. Another fricken wave from another motorcyclist. Why? I have no friggen clue." *rider waves* "Yea, that's great, nice to see you too, friggin, fraggin, hand waving, putz. Stop waving!" You're encouraging everyone else!

No more to add at this time. Feel free to discuss. You know where I stand. LOL

Where's my meds...

I used to feel that way too. Then I realized you can't change the world. Sometimes you have to go with the status quo.

It's really not so terrible to hold out a hand when a bike goes by. Actually, my wife does it sometimes when she's on the back, kind of cute.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:53 AM
rockDAWG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you're walking do you wave at every pedestrian? When skiing, so you wave at other skiiers? I don't get this whole thing.
To think of it, actually we do. I live in a small town. We do wave and hug to everyone. If she is a young chick, guys here will do hugging and groping. This is a way of life for us in the last hundred years. Hey America is a big country

Old 06-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know, it could also be that he is so fixated on the road directly in front of him that he doesn't see other motorcyclists.

How many times have you been in a cage with someone and you're pointing out bikes left and right. The other person, unless they ride too, most often says "How do you see all of these bikes?" There is a lesson there.

Most motorcyclists look everywhere. And they are not just looking, they are seeing, recognizing hazards, and deciding how to respond. In the process they also see other motorcyclists.

Cagers just look ahead of them. All day long. You're lucky if they look over their shoulder before changing lanes. Therefore, cagers don't see most of what is going on around them. Which also leads to the "I didn't see him officer" comment after an accident. They don't have to worry about every little hazard on the road. They have tons of steel between them and the danger.

Just my $.02, take it for what it's worth...which in the current economy and the rampant printing of money is about $.00000005.

Quick Reply: Another reason some don't wave