General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike deaths

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 05:42 AM
TANK25
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike deaths

There have been a lot of bike deaths in the Philadelphia area this year and summer has just started How are things going where you live?

Old 06-25-2009, 06:19 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

It is always a numbers game,the more people out riding, the more accidents.It is a fact of life,something the Insurance Co's bank on,and the politicians have for excuses to pass stupid laws to put their names in the news.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:17 AM
Brianc9876
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

true true

Old 06-25-2009, 08:21 AM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Stats show there are more and more bikes on the roads! A woman I now just took her Saftey course and said they were booked up months ahead!! New riders, more powerful and faster bikes, distracted cagers is goin to push the stats up!!!

Old 06-25-2009, 08:27 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by krwould
Stats show there are more and more bikes on the roads! A woman I now just took her Saftey course and said they were booked up months ahead!! New riders, more powerful and faster bikes, distracted cagers is goin to push the stats up!!!
Just my $.02 from persoanl observation but by no means is this statitical data. I think the cagers are worse every year, cell phones, the whole texting while driving, everyone is in a hurry, the list goes on. Seems to me though, a lot of the wrecks, at least the ones I know of aren't new or seasoned riders, it's those that have a year or two of experience and now feel they are invincible with their 100+ HP between their legs. Then they feel they have something to prove so they do something a little less than intelligent. We've all heard those famous words at one bad time or another, "Hey! Watch this!".

Old 06-25-2009, 08:32 AM
krwould
Club Member

Originally Posted by frog13
Just my $.02 from persoanl observation but by no means is this statitical data. I think the cagers are worse every year, cell phones, the whole texting while driving, everyone is in a hurry, the list goes on. Seems to me though, a lot of the wrecks, at least the ones I know of aren't new or seasoned riders, it's those that have a year or two of experience and now feel they are invincible with their 100+ HP between their legs. Then they feel they have something to prove so they do something a little less than intelligent. We've all heard those famous words at one bad time or another, "Hey! Watch this!".
I always said there seems to be three stages a rider goes thru... ist is a respect and maybe a slight fear of the bike, 2nd is I am invincible and like you said watch this... 3rd is after an accident or spill and they respect their ride again! Some never seem to leave the 2nd stage and some don't make it too far as a rider!!!

Old 06-25-2009, 08:34 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They also use the mopad accidents on that numbers game for the Insurance Co's

Old 06-25-2009, 08:36 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by krwould
I always said there seems to be three stages a rider goes thru... ist is a respect and maybe a slight fear of the bike, 2nd is I am invincible and like you said watch this... 3rd is after an accident or spill and they respect their ride again! Some never seem to leave the 2nd stage and some don't make it too far as a rider!!!
Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I'm real happy to be here because it seems like I have gone through #2 and #3 on more than one occassion, all part of growing up I guess. Not sure I'm getting smarter in my older age, but I am less stupid.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:48 AM
krwould
Club Member

Originally Posted by frog13
Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I'm real happy to be here because it seems like I have gone through #2 and #3 on more than one occassion, all part of growing up I guess. Not sure I'm getting smarter in my older age, but I am less stupid.
hey I even twist the throttle up on the 113" on occasion and thats part of the thrill of it but what I see on the roads with the high speed weaving traffic and hangin wheelies down the interstate and other highways.. well guess it is up to the rider to call it then!! I talk with young riders from time to time and they like my rigid and ask all the questions and they seem to want to know how fast and will the front wheel come off the ground. Not all but quite a few.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:57 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the past you had to want to ride and be willing to keep your motorcycle running. That meant wrenching and somewhat less dependability in the bikes. The difference now is more money and what I call weekend riders. More riders, more inexperienced riders, more inexperienced riders with inflated egos and opinions. More vehicles on the roads. The hazards have always been out there the only change has been to add more people.

Quick Reply: Bike deaths