General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Anit-Military?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Pablo22
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

Get it free off the internet - you tried to buy it and they said no - their problem!

Old 06-23-2009, 10:28 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Too bad you're havng problems with Garmin, however despite your problem I wouldn't categorize them as anti-military.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheese Head
As originally stated. I know there are some companies that won't/cann't ship APO. But, nothing is being shipped. It is a download. The ONLY reason they needed my address was to verify my debit card billing address so they know it is me making the purchase. They were not going to mail/ship anything. They were just going to provide me a link to download the product and a key to unlock it.
Might be out of their control. My credit card processor makes the rules and one of the rules is no APO addresses. Supposedly they can't be verified to the satisfaction of the processor. That leaves them open to you disputing the charge, getting a full refund and keeping the goods.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:44 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRob
All the Garmin maps, including the European ones, are available free to service members on the USSASOC NIPR web portal. On the front page there is a link called "Software Downloads". Click on that and you will see the Garmin Map Products folder. If you have a SIPR account there are lots of places with free map products.
Thats a big, big no no.... NEVER take anything from the high side(SIPR or classified Secret) and put it in an unclass computer or personal device. You will violate so many UCMJ articles and laws you could spend the better part of your life in Leavenworth.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:44 AM
kudzu35
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Dude chill out. Its a billing thing. I wouldn't trust an APO address (which is nothing more than a PO box) for confirmation either.

And I wouldn't use a Garmin or any other civilian GPS system here or Iraq when I can get a free one that's updated, secured, and required for military operations from my unit. The one thing I don't want to hear one of my Soldiers say is:

"Its good, I used my Garmin to plug the grid"

Old 06-24-2009, 05:18 AM
Cheese Head
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wecroft
Looks like you have the answer to your own dilema. Give them the address that matches your debit card's registered address.
That's the problem. I DID give them my debit card's registered address. It is an APO address and Garmin will NOT accept it.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:40 AM
Cheese Head
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought I would just provide an update. I've given up with Garmin and will be looking elsewhere.

The PX is not an option. I checked both Ramstein and Vogelweh (the two PXs in the Kaiserslautern area) and neither carries maps or accessories for Garmin GPSs. However, they do carry a few Nuvis....just no accessories.

I finally spoke with a Garmin representative last night after 30 minutes on hold. The "official" Garmin answer is it is directly related to Garmin and has nothing to do with my debit card (I make regular Internet purchases with it and only very few others won't ship to APO - usually due to postal restrictions because there are something that the post office will not accept through the mail). Garmin just does not accept APO addresses/orders. Not even over the phone. Their recommendation was to get a credit card number from someone in the states and pay them back. So, if there is anyone out there so inclined...just post your credit card number, full name as it appears on the card, expiration date, security code on the back of the card, and the billing address for the card and I'll get a check in the mail to you for everything I buy. Just kidding, I don't want anyone to post this information. I was just using this as an example to demonstrate how foolish this suggestion from Garmin was.

For what it is worth, I check with our programmer/web designer in the office and asked him how difficult it would be for Garmin to fix the problem. He indicated probably less than one hour of coding time. All they need to do is add a couple of "states" (i.e. AE, AP, etc) to their drop-down box, and download the APO zip codes from the USPS and include them in their zip code database. He said depending on policy for tesing and approval of new/updated web content, Garmin could have this fixed within 2 hours to 3 days if they cared about fixing it. But, I guess it doesn't matter.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:14 AM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

So you think it's reasonable to ask Garmin or any other company to invest in reprograming their computer to sell you a peice of map software?

If you think they are the only merchant that doesn't ship to or sell to APOs, you just plain wrong. I tried to direct ship a dozen, 2 million candle power lights to my buddy in Iraq from the Home Depot website and they couldn't handle the order because they only ship UPS and the APO system will not accept UPS shipments. Rather than getting my feathers all bunched up, I purchased the items and shipped USPS.

Unlees you're an orphaned, only child with no living realatives or friends, you should be able to come up with a logical solution.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:06 AM
BlackRob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sonar_chris
Thats a big, big no no.... NEVER take anything from the high side(SIPR or classified Secret) and put it in an unclass computer or personal device. You will violate so many UCMJ articles and laws you could spend the better part of your life in Leavenworth.
Good point, stick to the NIPR portal. We download map data and put it into our issued Garmin eTrex's all time here in Afghanistan. It's easy once you figure out the software. I have found Garmins to be much better than the DAGRs. I have four DAGRs sitting in my storage room that we have not used in months. My eTrex goes with me on every patrol.

Last edited by BlackRob; 06-24-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:33 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you want victim status. I'd say they are worried about getting paid. Not your job, race, sexual preference or anything else. They want to get their money and know who they are dealing with. The thing about the wacky rules of APO etc also might be a factor.

Quick Reply: Garmin Anit-Military?