General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Anit-Military?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 12:30 PM
Cheese Head
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jokerx
Not just Garmin and not a military thing, lots of companies won't ship to an APO.
As originally stated. I know there are some companies that won't/cann't ship APO. But, nothing is being shipped. It is a download. The ONLY reason they needed my address was to verify my debit card billing address so they know it is me making the purchase. They were not going to mail/ship anything. They were just going to provide me a link to download the product and a key to unlock it.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:34 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 575 Likes on 346 Posts

Not just Garmin and not a military thing, lots of companies won't ship to an APO.
+2...could you possibly use your parents address as a stateside billing address?

Old 06-23-2009, 12:37 PM
jokerx
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheese Head
As originally stated. I know there are some companies that won't/cann't ship APO. But, nothing is being shipped. It is a download. The ONLY reason they needed my address was to verify my debit card billing address so they know it is me making the purchase. They were not going to mail/ship anything. They were just going to provide me a link to download the product and a key to unlock it.
My mistake...shouldn't have sped read through the post...in my defense, I only have an hour for lunch

Old 06-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Cheese Head
Tourer

Originally Posted by GREENOHAWK69
+2...could you possibly use your parents address as a stateside billing address?
I tried that. But, because they verify the order address against the actual zip code on my credit/debit card statment the error message was that the shipping/billing zip code on my order was different than the zip code that my bank has for billing.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Cheese Head
Tourer

My mistake...shouldn't have sped read through the post...in my defense, I only have an hour for lunch
No problem. I know what it is like trying to catch up as much as possible during a lunch hour.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Double_Trouble
Cruiser

Originally Posted by albertasaurus

I get frustrated with companies who refuse to work around issues that don't fit into the neat little boxes they're so used to. They have this round hole that can deal with nothing but round pegs. If a square peg comes along, there is no readily available solution and instead of trying to adapt their system to accept the square peg they would rather send the square peg away.
I understand the frustration, but when it comes to matters of identity, finances, and taxes; the government has very specific, very time consuming, and annoyingly auditable processes that business' are required to follow. Failure to comply means the FDIC gets to start stuffin round pegs of their own, if you follow my meaning.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:08 PM
The Dude
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The sales tax is a joke. My zip code area is 1/2 city and 1/2 unicorporated. There is a 3 % differance in the tax rate between the two. Well guess what the rate Garmin charged me and what I should have been charged. 3 % too much. This was also a download. I called them and they say my zip code only shows one rate. I even have a business and collect sales tax at the address I gave them and told them I can show them the tax documents,they said it didn't matter, this is the rate we show. Directv does the same damn thing but they say it is a state set tax and not a county.Basically they couldn't think of a better answer. Its not much money, its just the principle of it. Where does all the excess money collected go? You would think garmin being it the mapping business would know where the county boundaries are?

"consuming, and annoyingly auditable processes that business' are required to follow. Failure to comply means the FDIC gets to start stuffin round pegs of their own, if you follow my meaning".---- mabe they need to!

Last edited by The Dude; 06-23-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:16 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

I tried that. But, because they verify the order address against the actual zip code on my credit/debit card statment the error message was that the shipping/billing zip code on my order was different than the zip code that my bank has for billing.
so set up your parents address as an 'authorized secondary address'. then instead of the apo, you can use your parents address and it will go through. thats what i did.

they said it didn't matter, this is the rate we show. Directv does the same damn thing but they say it is a state set tax and not a county.Basically they couldn't think of a better answer. Its not much money, its just the principle of it. Where does all the excess money collected go? You would think garmin being it the mapping business would know where the county boundaries are?
i'm willing to bet that if their software shows only one tax rate, then any money collected would be sent to the government. now, what the gov does with any extra, that would be a whole different question.....

Old 06-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like you have the answer to your own dilema. Give them the address that matches your debit card's registered address.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:41 PM
BlackRob
Tourer

All the Garmin maps, including the European ones, are available free to service members on the USSASOC NIPR web portal. On the front page there is a link called "Software Downloads". Click on that and you will see the Garmin Map Products folder. If you have a SIPR account there are lots of places with free map products.

Quick Reply: Garmin Anit-Military?