General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lane encroachment

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 02:44 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are numerous ways to address this--some more aggressive than others. You will hear about ball bearings, hammers, door kicks, and get back whips. You may hear just dodge the dumbasses and go on about your business. Just remember there are consequences to all actions. Getting into a shoving contest with a car can be a losing proposition but wimping out can be embarrassing. With all the politically correct, clean up the image, your exhaust bothers me cage drivers now trying to be bikers on here this could be an interesting thread before it is done.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member

Riding home in downtown Baltimore Saturday when a cabbie on a cell phone makes eye contact with me and encroaches on my lane anyways as we're approaching a red light.

Stop at light and his window is down. I gave him an earfull of F bombs and various other obscenities during the entire red light stop. People on the sidewalk walking by got a show and the woman in the back seat seemed a bit terrified. Her husband, however, had a little smirk on his face and seemed to enjoy the awkwardness.

I felt pretty good as a pulled away from the light. It was a good tirade. I didn't stumble or stutter. Everything flowed from my lips quite well. The F-bomb count was through the roof. The cabbie had to follow me for several blocks and I kept eyeing him in my mirror. he was no longer on his cell phone and he had a look of shame on his face.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:00 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You mean illegals driving taxi cabs. They can not read any signs and don't speak english. I drive in the same place.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cadman311
You mean illegals driving taxi cabs. They can not read any signs and don't speak english. I drive in the same place.
Yup. They're horrible people. Twice as bad as the soccer mom on cell phone in mini van/large SUV.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:12 PM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

Happens all the time on Dallas roads. I always have to shake my head when they change lanes, THEN put on the turn signal. Seems like drivers are so preoccupied with talking on the phone, texting, putting on their makeup, or reading something while they are driving it's amazing they can stay in one lane at all.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:38 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

It happens everywhere we just have to drive accordingly.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:57 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

IF they will run into a school bus, at 50+ mph, when the bus has it's lights flashing, and STOP arms out, OR, pull out in front of a loaded semi (watch for those HUGE double black marks by an intersection, out in the middle of nowhere), TRUST ME, they will run into/over you or pull out, NO PROB.

MANDATORY HELMET laws, that's the answer. Jus' NEED to regulate motorcycles, BETTER.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:30 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

The worst thing is, I don't see a dam thing that can be done about all this chit that will EVER make the problem get any better, much less make it go away! It is terrible where I ride and drive!

Old 06-22-2009, 06:34 PM
edeluxe07
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It happens more than I care to count!

Old 06-22-2009, 07:45 PM
BrentsterS
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had an interesting experience Sunday. My wife and kids followed me a couple of hours on the interstate from our house "back home" to see her dad for father's day. About an hour into the ride the interstate was closed due to a bad accident, so we were rerouted. I started getting a little testy with the slow stop and go when these things happen. Next everyone decided they would cut off the motorcycle to merge since as previously stated I lose the tonage battle. Once we finally made it through the mess we were merging from a secondary back onto the interstate into a construction zone. As everyone in the line started gaining speed to merge the SUV in front of me slams on his brakes........apparently he was afraid to merge. All I could see in my mirrors is the line of cars flying behind me trying to stop. They were gonna make a Brent sandwich outta me!

I am yelling and waving my arms telling him to go. My wife laughed about it later as I am pretty conservative in the car. She said the guy was a handicapped parking eldery gent. I feel bad now as I gave him hell but if you can't drive safely you shouldn't be out there.

Quick Reply: Lane encroachment