General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 08:11 AM
lightu
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long question

I have a 2001 RKC. Put a Power Commander on it about a month ago (pre-tuned from Fuel Moto). The first one they sent would work at all, and they replaced it with another, which worked fine. Ran great. Saturday morning I rode it to put in gas, got filled up and it wouldn't start. I went to our local HD shop and they came and picked it up. After troubleshooting, they discovered the Power Commander had shorted out, fried the ECU, then blew the fuse going to the ECU. We put in a test ECU, wired around the Power Commander and I rode it all day with no problems.

So, what should I do next? Do I even need a fuel management system? I have true duals and a high flow a/c. The service guy and the shop said watch the pipes and if they blue, put the stock a/c back on to richen it up and it should be fine to ride. If they don't blue, and it's running as I want, leave it. I have to buy a new ECU(which is another question)... should Power Commander/Fuel Moto be a part of that purchase? I will be calling them to question that.

I appreciate any input you might have. For me, it's a spendy mess. Thanks.

EC

Old 06-22-2009, 08:17 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

you need a fuel mgt system for sure. You want the pipes to blue???

I use a V&H fuelpak with no problems.
Haven't dealt with fuel moto but folks speak highly of them.

Good luck.

Last edited by carpetride; 06-22-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:25 AM
PiedPiper
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

I would call FuelMoto and see what they have to say. this is the first time I've heard of anyone having this kind of issue and as you know, many here have bought the power pacakge, including myself on my 02 Roadking below with no problems.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:35 AM
lightu
Advanced

Yes, the people at fuel moto are very good to work with. I'll call them and see what they recommend I do.

No, I sure don't want blue pipes. I'm just going by what the service tech told me to do if they do start to blue.

Unfortunately, V&H fuel pak isn't compatible with the 2001 injection system. Power Commander is one of the few that is. I could have the HD download (Cobra I think it is), and that would get it very close. That might be the solution.

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2009, 08:42 AM
BlackRob
Tourer

Maybe someone who has a ThunderMax could sell you their old ECU cheap? Putting the stock air filter back on will keep you from having to put on another fuel management device but you will notice the slight loss in power.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:55 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PiedPiper
I would call FuelMoto and see what they have to say. this is the first time I've heard of anyone having this kind of issue and as you know, many here have bought the power pacakge, including myself on my 02 Roadking below with no problems.
I'm "pitching my tent" in this campground, too.

PLEEZ keep us posted as to the outcome and solution, APPRECIATE that.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:56 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

Instead of buying a new stock ECM (I don't know how much they cost but they can't be cheap) why don't you get the Thundermax and forget the PC. You can keep your a/c and probably pick up some more power. Maybe you can get a refund from FuelMoto, but blaming the unit for frying the ECM might be the dealer's way to get out of a warranty claim.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Juve996
Road Captain

IMHO, you should've taken any mod's out prior to getting the dealer involved. They just suspect a reason to squirm their way out and they will. The only thing I'd leave on is the pipes. You can use any type of pipes with the stock ECU as long as you leave the stock A/C installed.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:30 PM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All you guys offering suggestions to replace the ECU have to keep in mind that the 2001 Fuelie bikes had Magnetti Marelli fuel injection, not Delphi. That may limit his options.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:45 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Instead of buying a new stock ECM (I don't know how much they cost but they can't be cheap) why don't you get the Thundermax and forget the PC. You can keep your a/c and probably pick up some more power. Maybe you can get a refund from FuelMoto, but blaming the unit for frying the ECM might be the dealer's way to get out of a warranty claim.
IMHO, you should've taken any mod's out prior to getting the dealer involved. They just suspect a reason to squirm their way out and they will. The only thing I'd leave on is the pipes. You can use any type of pipes with the stock ECU as long as you leave the stock A/C installed

Umm guys, did you read the part about being a 2001? Warranty?

Last edited by RoadKingRon1; 06-22-2009 at 06:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Long question