General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drunk driver backed over my softail

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 09:22 AM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Now I'm no expert on insurance, but twice I've been in car accidents where the insurance company had to provide a rental vehicle. So my question is why don't they have to for bikes?

Old 06-22-2009, 09:23 AM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ToastedGoat
wow must have been a bad night for bikes. +1 on the order your parts from vtwin if you can. Do the work yourself , save $$$.

It must have been a bad night for bikes. We were at our favorite bar playing and there is about 20 bikes parked out front. Luckily mine was in the middle. This kid (very drunk) gets all pissed off because his girlfriend flashed the band, and tore off his shirt and started heading for the stage, saying he was gonna kick their a$$. One of our favorite girls in the bar shoved his skinny little a$$ out the door... He F'd up and hit her (not good). He got slapped around some by one of the guys . Then in a stupid rage he kicked over some of the bikes as he was heading for his truck.

Some of the guys took off after him.... well he ran his truck into a bridge, got arrested for DUI. Reckless endangerment ??? and willful destruction of property.

He was mad and thought when he kicked the end bike,.. it would be like dominoes effect and they would all fall over.. They didn't thank god . First bike fell into the second bike tearing a 400.00 seat. That bike fell over but wasn't close enough to hit the next bike.

oh and his girlfriend stayed at the bar partying there till close. She said he was an A$$hole.:icon_ shrug:
Who took the chick home?

Old 06-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Mk1Racer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stoopidity abounds!!!!

About a month and a half ago, several of us were hanging out at a friend's house. It was late at night, and more than a few beers had been consumed. My friend has a large 3-bay shop on the other side of the yard, w/ a stone driveway. That's where my bike is parked. I'm across the yard at the fire pit (maybe 50 yards away) talking w/ a bunch of people. Next thing I know, I hear this bike fire up (mine is the only one there). I go running over to see wtf is up, and there's this girl (known her for years) on my bike, trying to pull it into the shop (seems my buddy wanted pics of her on my bike). As I'm just about to get to the bike, I see her hit the bump at the entrance to the shop. As I watch in horror, the bike just falls to the left, with her still on it. My first thought, was that she might have gotten her leg snapped. I pick the bike up off her, and she seems to be fine. I roll the bike into the shop, and now everyone is over at the shop. At that point in time, I'm more worried about her being hurt than I am the bike. She's all apologetic and keeps saying that she'll pay for it (no ****). I tell her that I'll look at it the morning, and we'll see what's involved. Next day, I check it out, and it's not that horrible. No damage to the tank or any of the paint. Essentially just killed the l/s rear turn signal, the derby cover, and the primary cover. Problem is, that's about $550 worth of parts from the dealer. She keeps saying that she's going to pay for it, but I'm still waiting! You should have heard the rash of crap I gave my buddy the next day.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:41 AM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I never leave my key on the bike. It's always in my pocket. I don't trust anyone.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:38 AM
skydrifter
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scottwilliamson
Now I'm no expert on insurance, but twice I've been in car accidents where the insurance company had to provide a rental vehicle. So my question is why don't they have to for bikes?
I would think they would have to supply a rental bike for the time it was int he shop. I would rent one and send him the bill.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Chicago 03 King
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skydrifter
I would think they would have to supply a rental bike for the time it was int he shop. I would rent one and send him the bill.
Moto insurance is in the R.V. classification and not as a main vehicle. They do not need to provide a rental since it is not a primary mode of transportation. I tried to argue this with my insurance. Good thing I still haven't sold my old bike yet.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:52 AM
Nightrider2
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll get flamed for this, but, I think i'd leave my ''friends'' alone for a while, as fro the girl who started the bike to go into the shop, I'd make sure she knew she owed me money and its time to pay, plus, don't even think about getting on a bike again, especally mine!! What a bunch of morons.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:07 AM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ohio OWI law must be the same as Wisconsin's in that it doesn't apply on private property - private as in not open for use by the general public.

Make sure you get replacement money for everything that is even scratched. I had a couple rub marks on my right saddlebag and got $500 for a replacement set. I just rubbed out the marks as best I could and used the money towards a custom paint job. You get the idea.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:16 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptJIM
Ohio OWI law must be the same as Wisconsin's in that it doesn't apply on private property - private as in not open for use by the general public.
In Cali I have a friend who was drunk riding his dirt bike on his private dirt road, crashed enough to where the ambulance had to come and get him, he was belligerent with the paramedic who in turn called the CHP and he got a dui.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtMic
Who took the chick home?
You beat me to it plus "This thread is useless without pics".

Quick Reply: Drunk driver backed over my softail