General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only comfortable in a full-face?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:07 AM
Tackdriver
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a shorty, a full face, and a Zox Genesis convertiable.
If Im using my Ipod and going a short distance on Surface roads on a nice day I use the shorty. For freeway driving or driving in cold weather I wear the Genesis.

I wear the FF for IronButt or long distance rides, where the Genesis would be too heavy.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:11 AM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Davepa
Not to steal the thread but, I would like to see the Shark-evoline helmet. Any dealers in Pa or Western Md area stocking this helmet?

http://www.shark-evoline.com/
According to their website ,they are distributed by Tucker Rocky in the U.S.

They look like a decent modular helmet.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:40 PM
psyco1
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not comfortable in anything other than a FF, I see better without the wind squint and enjoy the sound of junebugs going "bong" on it when they kamekazi me and since my wreck, I wouldn't even think of riding without one.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:16 AM
SloChicken
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by max56
Before I hop on the bike, I think about where I'm planning on going and what type of helmet I might want to wear for that purpose. I've got full face, three quarter and half helmets to choose from. I don't strictly fall into any camp on this issue. Whatever I feel like wearing at the time is what I wear. The reason I have so many helmets is that I set out on a quest to find the "perfect" helmet...for me. Now that I've got about six helmets, I've come to the conclusion that different helmets are just right for different rides. The trick is to pick the right one before you leave. At least that's what works for me. Your results may vary.
I am right with you on this one.
I have probably 10 different helmets, with, let's see ...

2 dirt bike helmets - both full face, I take the extra one on multi-day trips to let the other air out.

2 FF helmets. One is basic black, which I use on my Harley some of the time.
The other is a Arai FF for my track bikes or sport bike use.

I also have a 3/4 open face helmet - this one gets little use. I bought it to be safer than my beanie helmet. Problem is, it is louder than ****, and tho it may save my brain - what about the face?

I have a mushroom 1/2 helmet (DOT Legal) that never gets used. It is ridiculous looking (At least to me) and really is not much protection anyway. Enough said about that one. Anyone want to buy a 1/2 Helmet with a HD badge on the side?

Last, I have a carbon non-DOT beanie helmet.
I wear this on most of the time on my Harley. I pretty much accept that if I hit my head, this thing will hardly work as a bowl to keep the pieces in. So what ...
Some people jump out of planes, Some f**k questionable girls they meet in bars and don't wear protection, others like to ride in the elements. And yet still others will cry about it all day long. We all decide on our own risky behavior.

Heck, sometimes when I am on the road and it is legal to do so, I will ride with my favorite baseball cap on.

That said, when I go on a road trip, I bring my black full face, my beanie helmet, and my favorite ballcap.
I will wear one of these depending on the conditions, have fun no matter what, carry a small flask for a nip along the way, and smile the whole damned time.
Hope you all can find the way to have such a fine time.

No,
I don't have problems backing up with a full face helmet on.
No,
My eyes don't water at 30 mph

Ride on

Last edited by SloChicken; 06-25-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:15 AM
billiamharley
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cromagnon
To me, full face is like wearing a bowling ball on your head.
I overheat real easy. It's bad hot here in Virginia during the summer. I rode with one during a dealer demo several years ago in 90 degree temps. Thought I was going to get heat stroke. My head was soaked with sweat.

I know we should not care what we look like, but seeing someone with full face on a Harley looks real dorky. Does not seem to fit the lifestyle if you ask me.
Did you have all the vents open - a good (not cheap) FF will have good vent design.

Harly FFs - just gotta have the right paint job!

Old 08-23-2009, 08:22 AM
Mikekoz13
Road Captain
Default FF

I've worn a full face since I bought my first bike at 22 years old. After not riding foe almost 15 years I decided to try on some open face and half shell helmets when I started riding again recently.
There was zero comfort level for me with those types of helmets...I tried on a FF and it felt like home.
I don't care what people think....I wear whats comfortable FOR ME because I figure that being comfortable makes me more aware and a better rider.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:25 AM
billiamharley
Cruiser
Default New Helmet Discovery

I tried on a 3/4 with a full face windshield that flips up. I do appreciate the extra vision and a little more wind under the chin. The extra vision does allow one to appreciate the scenery a little more - the FF have enough vision for safety but the extra vista afforded by less helmet is nice. Wind is still out of my face which I like. It is a little cooler but quite a bit noisier with the wind. It's an HD with carbon fiber and flames = less dorky, right?

Old 08-23-2009, 09:41 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master

The wife: "What is the most expensive helmet you carry in the shop? Cool, I'll take that Shoei."

Me: Man, I love my well used, pock scarred, FF THH that a friend gave me several years ago. When it was new, it probably cost less than the sales tax on the wife's helmet.

Wear whatever you like--or nothing at all.