General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only comfortable in a full-face?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 09:25 PM
hdtwice
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
I am used to a FF now, I use to wear beanies and 1/2's and even 3/4 helmets. But I know if I ever go down and the crash doesnt kill me at least I wont be uglier to look at from the face plant.
I have a flip up which I ride with the shield up so I get the air on my face which takes away the claustrophobic feeling. As far as backing up or sitting still in the heat, I flip up the helmet.
Same story here.....did no helmet years ago before the law...then beanie helmet for years...now full face modular and leave the visor up for air...

It did take some time to adjust, but now I feel like the best of both worlds....good air flow and safety

Old 06-23-2009, 01:05 AM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ko4qc
WHAT???...thats the most enjoyable part of riding for me!!..cant get that with your head stuck in a box...:>)..also,If I worried about crashing that much,I would stay home.....'different strokes'...:>)
drives me insane - eyes water and sting, you get bugs in them, rocks on your face, etc. I crack my lid, but I'm always in a full face. Safest too.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:14 AM
ToastedGoat
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cannot stand a FF helmet. I used the ole skid lid beanie. I ride a RM 250 out at the trails sometimes. I have a full face rig for that but ... I push the limit and crash every once in a while.

Out on the streets I am very mild . I take it easy. I have arthritis in my neck, I use the lightest thing I can get by with.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:25 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Wear whatever you're comfortable with. The protection of a good FF is undoubtedly superior but comfort is an issue with many. I wear a FF Shoei X-Eleven when cold or rainy. I live in the mtns here in So Cal at 4200' elevation so nights are very chilly when I'm enroute home after swing shift. I wear the FF from Oct or so thru about May usually cuz of the low 30's-40's temps I have to deal with at night during that time of the year.

When warmer I often wear an HJC half helmet, but the FF is my favorite if I had to pick one.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:26 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I only have a 3/4 but thinking about a polo style, but all that I've tried on looks like mushroom on.
OCC, Paul sr has one that sits low but I don't know what kind it is?

Old 06-23-2009, 12:57 PM
skydrifter
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wear 1/2 helmet, but I am looking for a full face I am having a hard time finding one big enough for my cannon ball head I need a 3XL .
Last weekend I hit rain and hail and wished I had one . Also for the cold mornings here in the NW I have to be at work at 6:00 am and it can be pretty cold at 6:00.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:02 PM
MNROD
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the FF from Harley but you can pull it up into a 3/4....it's nice; you get the best of both worlds that way.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:19 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

One bad thing about a FF - if you & your passenger leave the house with them on, you're pretty much stuck wearing them for the whole trip as it's kind of tough to find some way to carry them should you decide to not wear them at some point.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:34 PM
KnightWRX
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lopoetve
drives me insane - eyes water and sting,
Don't none of you FF wearers realise that you need to wear glasses when using a 3/4 or 1/2 without a visor ?

Old 06-24-2009, 01:01 AM
jcanrun
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I wear a full face all the time. Not comfortable in a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet. But then again I've had a truck in front of me lose a plate glass window which fell out on the freeway and exploded into a million pieces right in front of me. No place to go but ride through a fog of glass. Pieces of glass hit the visor and chin areas, and all over my full face helmet. Because I was wearing a full face, didn't get cut.

But, I'd like to get use to wearing a 1/2 helmet, at least for summer. Just can't find one that doesn't make me feel like a mushroom head.

Quick Reply: Only comfortable in a full-face?