General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only comfortable in a full-face?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:58 AM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I use both a modular and a 1/2 helmet. Due to ongoing issues with a number of surgeries performed on my eyes over the past 5 years, I have to wear the modular full face when on the highway...

Old 06-22-2009, 11:41 AM
sonic_cruzer
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a FF modular for nastier weather and when I need to use comm-gear. My most of the time riding helmet is an AGV Dragon helmet. Now that I have a bike with a fairing & windshield I might consider a half helmet but it would take some getting use to. Besides I really like the Dragon.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:53 PM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear a half helmet most of the time - carry a fullface with me on trips for rain and hail. I generally find a fullface to be uncomfortable and I am less aware of what is going on around me.

I am aware of the improved safety with a fullface and, in fact, I did have a get off once where my face would have hit some pretty nasty rocks were it not for the fullface I was wearing. However, I find riding so much more enjoyable without the confinement of the big hat that I accept the risk.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I ride with a FF but I can't stand the sheild down. So unless its pouring rain I have it up. I usually ride my RK with the windshield onm so that allows me to get fresh air with the FF.

I rode a 3/4 the past few days due to the heat, but its feels weird.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:55 PM
rallen
Cruiser

I have a FF and a 3/4 and wear the FF until it gets HOT. It's a trade off. FF give me more protection and a little less wind, 3/4 a bit more wind and a lot more vision. So, which is better more protection or wider field of vision?

Old 06-22-2009, 05:33 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just got my FF helmet and I like it,but I feel no wind and can now ride 100+ miles an hour for ever! That to me is just not safe! I prefer using my QD windshield and half helmet and keep my speed 60 to 85,less tickets that way too! I suppose that FF will come in handy come cooler weather!

Old 06-22-2009, 06:17 PM
blackrever
Tourer

FF helmet sometimes (Hjc is Max) or my 3/4 Scorpion EXO-200.Bought a Fulmer 1/2 helmet this year wore it 1x felt very odd in it.Before going to a FF and 3/4 helmet wore a novelty helmet for years.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Dutch110
Tourer

IDK. Given I spend a lot of time on the racetrack I've never had a half or 3/4 helmet in the stable until I bought the Harley. Got a half helmet to try it out and see if I liked it. I don't. I use it if I am running the 1/2 mile to the gym to workout but anything more then that it's the full face. I don't have any problem with visibility or situational awareness wearing my full face. I volunteer as an on track instructor teaching folks how to ride sporty bikes on the race track. You have to ride like you are on a swivel to keep an eye on your ducklings. I am just used to the head motions needed to get a full range of view with a full face. To each his own.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:06 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

To me, full face is like wearing a bowling ball on your head.
I overheat real easy. It's bad hot here in Virginia during the summer. I rode with one during a dealer demo several years ago in 90 degree temps. Thought I was going to get heat stroke. My head was soaked with sweat.

I know we should not care what we look like, but seeing someone with full face on a Harley looks real dorky. Does not seem to fit the lifestyle if you ask me.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:52 PM
roqueweiler
Advanced

Here's why I wear a full face.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roentgenator/2445605281/

But even a half is better than no helmet

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roentge...7601198404570/

Quick Reply: Only comfortable in a full-face?