General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only comfortable in a full-face?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 07:38 PM
foxhd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on conditions and where I'm going, I wear a full face, 3/4 or beanie. I prefer my skid lid style for visibility and comfort. Just returned from a rainey Laconia and only wore my 1/2 helmet. Full face would have been better in the rain.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:53 PM
realmccoy
Tourer

well I'v tried them all the strap on the new 1/2 helmet bothered my neck
the3/4 I had was to danm hevey. the kids just bought me this real nice modular real light good strap flp it open get lots of air at nite close it up .no bugs has anti glare coating on shield for head lights at nite.
open the whole frunt can see to back into park in my opinion great lid.
but a always to each there own

Old 06-21-2009, 07:56 PM
tplyons
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm quite the opposite... I'm a bit claustrophobic and don't like having the chin bar in front of my face, but I've been wearing my full faced more and more lately. Between the heavy rain lately, and my eyes bothering me... I've been wearing my glasses almost every day.

Give it a try, I love riding with just a bucket, wind in my face. Worst case scenario, you'll drop a few bucks on something and know you don't like it. You could probably sell the helmet too if you've only worn it once or twice.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:10 PM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Before I hop on the bike, I think about where I'm planning on going and what type of helmet I might want to wear for that purpose. I've got full face, three quarter and half helmets to choose from. I don't strictly fall into any camp on this issue. Whatever I feel like wearing at the time is what I wear. The reason I have so many helmets is that I set out on a quest to find the "perfect" helmet...for me. Now that I've got about six helmets, I've come to the conclusion that different helmets are just right for different rides. The trick is to pick the right one before you leave. At least that's what works for me. Your results may vary.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:14 PM
yk.hd
Road Captain

I definitely feel more comfortable in my FF lid. I used to wear a 1/2 style when I was little and just learning; but that's all we had. So for me it was a little bit of a stretch when I started wearing full face MX style helmets on dirtbikes... Then when I bought my first road legal bike it was because of a couple reasons I ended up buying a full face... 1) my MX helmet has a visor on it and would catch the wind like crazy 2) I couldn't handle the bugs in my face at night even with goggles.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:13 PM
skulnbones
Cruiser

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll give an open face a try. I really like the Z1R Jimmy retro helmets. BTW, my wife freaked out within five seconds when she tried on my full face.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:29 PM
devils haircut
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Yellotang
If you don't like wind in your face, why ride?????
I too like the wind on my face, but it's not what riding is all about to everyone. Some might ask "if you are gonna buy a slow heavy bike with poor brakes that corners like a water buffalo...than why even ride?" I love my harley but I enjoy it most in the twisties with more of a technical aspect to my riding. I can sit on the front porch with a fan to get "the wind in my face".

Old 06-21-2009, 10:09 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Got em both, use em both. And sometimes none. There's a time and a place for everything. It's all in what you get used to.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:15 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by ko4qc
WHAT???...thats the most enjoyable part of riding for me!!..cant get that with your head stuck in a box...:>)..also,If I worried about crashing that much,I would stay home.....'different strokes'...:>)
Uhuh!!! Meeee toooo!!!

Old 06-21-2009, 10:16 PM
trslim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Medicfrost
Full face is great in the rain or cold weather, but sucks when you're trying to back into a parking space.
Agreed, nothing better when it's cold or raining. I'd go with a half in the summer if I had to wear one by law.

Quick Reply: Only comfortable in a full-face?