General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The day you lived to ride...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:49 AM
Firebird1989
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The day you lived to ride...

Post up accidents that you or someone you know have survived and lived to ride again. (or if you/they are afraid to ride again) I was involved in a hit and run with DUI accident on May 1st 09 and cant wait to ride again.
Heres my story, I just left my house to go meet up with some buddies at 9:24 pm, about 2 blocks from my house I'm going about 35mph, about 60ft away Is a intersection with a green light and a woman stopped in the middle waiting for me to pass (or so I thought) so she can turn left. As soon as I am basically in the middle of the intersection she decides to go and t-bones my left leg. I fly 15 feet to the curb, I see her car facing the curb and she starts to back up and she takes off down the road she was trying to turn on. 2 witnesses and Im the only one who got the plate number. (and will never forget it) As a result my leg broke in 6 places, 5inches of bone was torn out and bent my cooling fins apart and stuck in the fins. 2 Titanium rods from hip to knee and knee to ankle. Small peice of bone chipped on my shoulder when I landed. No head, neck, or back injury. Looking at over a year before I can walk. So far everything is looking good and healing right, 3 surgerys done and 1 more in a few weeks for the bone graft. So whos riding after life threatening accidents? lets hear the story.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:54 AM
DeckerDude
Road Master

Did the cops get her ??

Old 06-19-2009, 09:11 AM
Firebird1989
Tourer

Originally Posted by DeckerDude
Did the cops get her ??
Yeah she was found 3 blocks away she overheated and her car died, my sporty held up pretty good and almost totalled her car too lol. And for some reason I still have the bike no one has asked about it or picked it up. Starts right up too lol. Its paid off and I got 3k for everything I put on the bike. Oh I almost forgot she had her 3 year old son in the car too...

Old 06-19-2009, 09:18 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Ya know, I've said this before and I'll say it again. Don't know if you guys are new to this world or not, but if you're going to take this motorcycle thing seriously, why do you have this obsession with gore? Move on! Look to the future. These are tragic experiences and should be somber, reflective moments, not exploited like they are some sort of adventure. Talk about the good rides, not the bad ones, what kind of depressive freaks are you guys?

Old 06-19-2009, 09:30 AM
harley9607
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My hubby and I and a bunch of friends were out at Sturgis about 2 years ago when my hubby took a curve in Custer's state park and went off the road. He jumped off the bike just before it hit the tree but not before the windshield tore up his face when he hit a log in the grass.It totaled the bike. Hubby just got a bunch of stitches in his face. The bike was a Heritage Springer and he thinks something broke loose in the front end when he went around that curve, because he had just had the neck barrings serviced before we left, either that or he had a brain fart, he has been riding for38 years. We will never know because front of the bike was totally destroyed when it hit the tree. But he healed and was back on a bike in a couple of months.Riding is so much a part of his life he'll never quit riding till he is to old and feeble he can't get on a bike

Old 06-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Firebird1989
Tourer

Originally Posted by frog13
Ya know, I've said this before and I'll say it again. Don't know if you guys are new to this world or not, but if you're going to take this motorcycle thing seriously, why do you have this obsession with gore? Move on! Look to the future. These are tragic experiences and should be somber, reflective moments, not exploited like they are some sort of adventure. Talk about the good rides, not the bad ones, what kind of depressive freaks are you guys?
I have no obsession with gore, I cant stand to even watch someone break any bone. I just want to know how many people have quit riding because of an accident...

Old 06-19-2009, 09:57 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was hit riding my Harley Heritage ST last June on I-20. Knocked completely out and took 5 1/2 weeks in hospital and a few more months convalescing. Got a new RKC in Nov 2008 and have been riding since, weather permitting. Have about 3000 miles on it. Below is my account published on another site -

http://www99.epinions.com/review/Har...t_442652069508

Old 06-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Poorguy
Tourer

A drunk driver (woman) took a gorgeous Honda 650 I had in my early 20's out from under me. (around 1990). As I leaned into a turn I heard the breaks lock up, I looked down to my right and saw the red car hit me just behind my right leg. (fortunately) The bike shot right out from under me and I tumbled across the highway. I only had road rash that the nurses scrubbed with a steel wool pad. The bike was totaled.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:47 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebird1989
I have no obsession with gore, I cant stand to even watch someone break any bone. I just want to know how many people have quit riding because of an accident...
To each his own, just don't see why it matters or why people want to dwell on it. In the ol' days (Yeah, I know, here goes the old biker talk again, why don't these old farts ever die off?) it was sort of a forbidden subject, nobody ever brought up crashes. My how times have changed .......
Ya know though, I feel fortunate to have lived through the 60's and 70's, it gives me an honest right to say, "If I have to explain you wouldn't understand". All those who have been riding 25+ years will know exactly what I'm talking about ...............

Old 06-19-2009, 12:01 PM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not going to relive it, but i will say that i got back on after being knocked off by a drunk driver, in sept '06. three fractured vertebrae, amputated right arm, etc.

Quick Reply: The day you lived to ride...